Any issues with SanDisk Extreme SSD's?

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Tazor, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Tazor

Tazor Member

Just heard from Corsair that they can't replace my SSD as it's actually damaged, so I'm going to get a new one and was looking at a SanDisk Extreme series, just used one in a friend's PC and it performs very well, but I wanted to know if anyone's had any issues or high failure rates?

cheers

Tazor

2. Mickatroid

Mickatroid Member

3. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Put a 240gb model in my work laptop a few weeks back. Running well so far :thumbup: Doesn't seem to suffer from any of the standbye or hibernation issues I've had with other ssd's either. Will definitely buy another of these.

4. M0r4h3us

M0r4h3us Member

Hi, I am running 2 .. 120GB & 240GB no issues here ...

they are faster in most aspects compared to my 240GB Vertex 2(e) & my 2x 256GB Patriot Zypher models.

Cheers Alan.

ps. from no ssds two months ago to 5 lol i cant live without them now!

5. Tazor

Tazor Member

I ended up getting two 128gb vertex 4's, their small file reads and writes are higher than any other which is what I need for my uni work. Projects are usually hundreds to thousands of tiny files. This thread may pose useful for other reluctant buyers :thumbup:

6. fredaroony

fredaroony Member

I have one of the Extreme 240GB and while it works fine it does make a high pitch noise when connected to power. I wanted to have it connected as a external drive the the noise is quite annoying.

Sandisk support has been totally useless...

7. Renza

Renza Member

a ssd for an external drive? too much money or something :confused:

8. fredaroony

fredaroony Member

Useless post :confused: Troll somewhere else champ.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  9. JonnoHR31

JonnoHR31 Member

My 240gb sandisk arrived today, hopefully see how it goes tomorrow :thumbup:

10. fredaroony

fredaroony Member

Will be interested to know if you can hear any noise from it.

11. Renza

Renza Member

I'm just curious to know why. Fair enough if you're using it for like video editing on a laptop or something.

Noise may be due to inductors vibrating. you could stop them with a dab of hot glue, but you'd have to open it up...

12. Dass Booty

Dass Booty Member

Mine makes a fair bit of noise when I wake my PC up. It sounds like.. water moving through thin pipes. Kinda like a fridge (not the motor). It goes away after a while. It doesn't seem to make any other strange sounds.

13. Dass Booty

Dass Booty Member

Maybe to reduce the chance of shock damage? Or just 'cause. :)

14. noober69

noober69 Member

I have thought about using a ssd as an external as well. If you do not torrent [DEL]movies[/DEL] linux iso's, then 120gb is more than enough from most of us on an external. It costs around $120 when a 2.5" 500gb is around $80-100.
    They are vibration resistant and if you run a laptop, chew less power.
    I remember when I had money (earned about a quarter of what I earn now, but no kids, wife or mortgage) and I would have easily spent it on a ssd, and in fact used to spend way more on my classic car.

15. fredaroony

fredaroony Member

Exactly, Or just 'cause...my money and I will use it in anyway I feel like it.

Certainly not going to justify it to some anonymous person on a internet forum.

16. fredaroony

fredaroony Member

Like the hum in the back of a CRT monitor? It never goes away in mine.

17. Xeon666

Xeon666 Member

I noticed the same thing, but found the sound was coming from the external HDD case (not the actual SSD), when a better quality power supply was used the noise was reduced, when connected internally to my PC next to no noise. More an issue when writing to HDD, as this puts more stress / load on the power supply, and external case power supplies are cheap quality, many only plug pack style with little regulation.

The drive is not at fault..

18. fredaroony

fredaroony Member

I thought about that but I tried three external cases plus a internal caddy in my work laptop. In all cases the drive still makes the noise.

I tried other drives in the same scenario but none of them made any odd noises. In this case it's 100% the drive itself.

19. Dass Booty

Dass Booty Member

No, but I know the kind of sound you are talking about. Mine just hisses when the PC wakes up. Beore I updated the SSD's firmware I think the noise was constant. I can't be sure because updating the firmware was the first thing I did to it. If the SSD was making any weird noises I should notice it as it's sitting on top of my case.

When I get back home I will run a full scan disk to see if it does anything strange.

20. samwise123

samwise123 Member

I got the 120GB one, so far so good, although this is my first SSD. I don't hear any noises from it.