Anyone got a few billion lying around?.....AMD is for sale!

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by bobbth, Nov 14, 2012.

1. bobbth

bobbth Member

Apparantly AMD's financial issues have gotten pretty extreme, they have enlisted the help of Morgan Chase to explore its options :sick:

Source: Reuters
    more here and here

Edit: As thebranded has pointed out the source has been updated to clarify that AMD aren't actually "for sale" but rather just exploring their optios at the moment.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  2. ShaneHm2

ShaneHm2 Member

Group buy anyone :D

In all seriousness though it's a shame to see that AMD is in this much financial trouble

3. bobbth

bobbth Member

We'll have to get it approved by Agg!

4. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Member

Although I haven't bought an AMD CPU recently as the last time I bought one was when the "AMD Athlon 64" series was released. But this still sucks.. I wonder who will buy them. I have a feeling Intel might throw a few hands up to grab AMD.

5. thebranded

thebranded Member

6. bobbth

bobbth Member

7. TaroT

TaroT Member

google will buy them you wait and see :)

but in all seriousness if they go then our wallets go...i can see intel sitting in a room giggling like a psycho :)

8. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

But the reasoning is "as the chipmaker struggles to find a role in an industry increasingly focused on mobile and away from traditional PCs,"
    Doesn't that imply that Intel would be struggling, too?

How is Intel faring compared to AMD at the moment? Oranges to Oranges?
    Even Intel is down 26% in the last 6 months
    http://www.google.com/finance?cid=284784

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  9. Digit

Digit Member

i doubt Intel would buy AMD out, and i doubt they'd be forced to either (monopoly thingy), since they could just claim that they are competing against ARM now and it's no longer an x86 only market.

Although, from what i've seen from tests done with the Motorola RAZR i, they'll be making waves in the mobile industry next year in a BIG way.

10. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Member

Intel do alot more then just 'Desktop CPUs'. People also buy Macbooks & that flavored crap and they are Intel, so at least there profit isn't entirely harshly cut.

11. Sniffy

Sniffy Member

Unlikely to happen but if the day ever comes where they cease trading, I may be forced to buy 50 of their cpus and 50 crosshairs so I'll never run out :tongue:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  12. Alpha2k6

Alpha2k6 Member

Nvidia or Samsung are probably good candidates for a buyout :)
    Or possibly Apple if they want to invest in something before their bubble burst!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  13. GreasyBear

GreasyBear Member

What, so does this mean ATi will disappear too?

14. aphasia

aphasia Member

AMD's (ATI) GPU division is probably safe if the worst happens. the radeon GPUs are still very competitive and currently the 7xxx holds the best bang for buck/highest performing single GPU performance crown (at least with the lastest CAT drivers).

15. Nikon223

Nikon223 Member

Looks like times are changing. About time I was sick of hearing about AMD struggling all the time.

16. DarkForceMage

DarkForceMage Member

What would happen if Nvidia bought AMD out?

17. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

X86 license is non transferable.

18. stmok

stmok Member

No one in their right mind would buy AMD. There's too many liabilities. (One of them is what itsmydamnation mentioned.)

=> Intel isn't going to touch AMD because the US's Federal Trade Commission will be on their butt. (Monopolistic reasons).
    => Nvidia is pursuing their path on ARM. They've given up on x86 as Intel refuses to license x86 to them.
    => Samsung is more than happy with what they're currently doing on tablets and phones with ARM architecture.
    => Apple have long term plans to phase out x86 in favour of ARM. (They're just holding out until the architecture evolves to the point of allowing them to replace x86. All the basics are in place thanks to their iPhone/iPad/etc lines.)
    => ARM itself is pushing out 64bit in their long term plans.(See their Cortex A50-series.)
    => AMD has plans to use ARM 64bit in future dense/low-power server configurations under the Opteron brand name. (Doesn't replace existing x86 Opterons. Just opens a new market in response to the consequences of tablet popularity.)

...You know AMD is in real crap, when they start selling off all their intellectual property and assets like one of those Harvey Norman sale ads. :lol:

Besides...

The AMD Buyout Rumor: Why It Had To Be Fake
    => http://seekingalpha.com/article/1004731-the-amd-buyout-rumor-why-it-had-to-be-fake

AMD shares went up due to this speculation. And then went back down as the rumour was quashed.

AMD CEO denies sale, says company is 'on the right path' in leaked memo
    => http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/13/3642344/amd-rory-read-sale-rumors

19. zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

I think the whole AMD selling thing is just another hoax.

AMD pulling enthusiast chips off the shelf..... yeah I would believe that, but considering how well their APU's are (in respect to desktop) and their GPU sector, I would only expect them to shift focus (and cut their engineers down a few no.'s) onto solely roducing great APU's and GPU's.

They're also pushing into the ARM sector which is a smart move by them too which should be promising if they can pull it off....

20. oclockforlyfe

oclockforlyfe Member

Intel has been doing that ever since Core2/Sandy Bridge. :D