Anyone using Transgrid for comms?

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by 7nothing, Jul 17, 2017.

1. 7nothing

7nothing Member

After a terrible experience with MPLS service from NextGen (they were always fine, but last mile for 2 of 3 sites was wireless, NextGen contracted out to Vertel, who were utterly incompetent and couldn't make a change without fucking it up, or monitor their equipment).

Having had almost flawless experience with Nexium/Ergon in Qld, figured if Transgrid are selling IP services, they must be doing something similar.

Outage the other week, we had intermittent traffic flow in 1 direction, sometimes even TCP connectivity, but they were somehow mangling our data and directing TCP connections to the wrong host. I asked for an explanation, they said the outage was due to a power supply failure... sure.

Today, WAN goes down, 3G backup offline, but, we can take a guess at what the fault is. Call their NOC. Same as last outage, NOC guy has no access to network monitoring, passes us on to someone else.

Transgrid: The link looks fine.
    Us: what are you basing this on?
    Transgrid: I can't see any errors in SCADA

Later...
    Transgrid guy calls site electrician "Who's this ... guy (us)?, he keeps annoying me, I told him I can't do anything"

Later...
    Finally get someone tethered with mobile, log in to laptop, surprise surprise, our equipment operating perfectly

5 minute input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
    5 minute output rate 19000 bits/sec, 23 packets/sec

Service comes back by coincidence a few minutes later, 3 hour outage, in that window, they couldn't even confirm there was traffic on the link (Which we knew there wasn't), not even gonna ask for an explanation on this one.

2. IACSecurity

IACSecurity Member

Dont be retard. Ask for an explanation.

Then push them to explain their BS.

Then go them for credits for lack of service. - even if its $1
    Then move off.

3. 7nothing

7nothing Member

They lack the tools to identify an ongoing outage, I really don't see how there's anything they can possibly say to explain what the problem was.

I'm not paying the bills, just curious if anyone else used them and had experienced similar shittiness.

4. 7nothing

7nothing Member

Lulz down again this morning.

Ring the NOC, give them service ID, tell them it's down. Support will call me back.

Support: Just need to confirm some details.
    Me: Sure
    Support: The service ID is blah
    Me: Yes
    Support: And it's down?
    Me: ...yes.
    Support: OK, I'll investigate now.

5. IACSecurity

IACSecurity Member

Well if you don't pay the bills, tell the person that does.
    Or just live with it.

6. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Customer contacted. SLA met

7. cvidler

cvidler Member

would you trust Holden or Coles to give you WAN services?

Why a electricity wholesaler.

8. 7nothing

7nothing Member

a) Having had almost flawless experience with Nexium/Ergon in Qld
    2) Transgrid Telecommunications is a communcations provider. Not sure if Holden has a telecommunications subsidiary that sells WAN services?
    iii) Fibre, in the middle of fucking nowhere. According to wikipedia: TransGrid’s Telecommunications network is the fifth largest optical fibre network in Australia

9. cvidler

cvidler Member

fair enough, my rebuttal is your every post in this thread.

sounds like they've got the sparky's on the tech team.

10. 7nothing

7nothing Member

Yes, it does. My question is "Does anyone else use them?", sounds like a no.

Hard to know what a niche service providers support is like before you start the contract, and most business have a higher tolerance for under-performing vendors that I do.

11. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

Sounds like Ergon leased their spare fibre to someone competent while Transgrid are trying to roll their own. Your experiences in this thread mirror dealings with Ergon for electricity supply upgrades.

12. Fred Nurk

Fred Nurk Member

Nexium was wholly owned by Ergon, not sure if its now spun off into a private entity or what (they also had another business division that did a whole heap of fancy geographical shit that was called ROAMES, and is now owned by Fuguro).
    There are sections of Ergon that are surprisingly competent, and then there's the rest.