Are any of the budget Cintiq companion alternatives good?

Discussion in 'Graphic Design & Digital Art' started by peteed1985, Mar 9, 2017.

1. peteed1985

peteed1985 Member

Been wondering for a while if there's any way to draw on the go without spending at least $1600 for a student priced i5 Microsoft Surface Pro 4?

My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition lags so where you drawn has nothing until you are between 1cm and 1 inch past it.

2. Renza

Renza Member

Surface pro 3? Almost as good as the SP4, without the hefty price tag (second hand, that is)

3. Bertross

Bertross Member

Ask me anything about all cintiqs. Surfaces pros and ipad pros. Ive used them all and owned all the cintiqs and ipad pro.

Each has a downside and some more than others. But straight up if all you do is draw the ipad pro wins without question and i would argue it to my grave how good it is with procreate.

I need to know what youre doing and where and how long. Apps. Your art skill and if you make money from it.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  4. peteed1985

peteed1985 Member

I wanna use it when out and about as well as at home. Apps are whatever I can sketch/draw and digital paint with.

Right now drawing on my current tablet theres a 1cm bit of lag from where I draw and where the marks are on the tablet i'm using right now because I think the tablet can't keep up with the pens movement.

I'm really an art beginner and won't be making money from it but I need practice with the drawing and getting lines to go where I want them so to start with I want to be able to take a photo and put it as the base layer and trace over it.

I can't get the hang of looking at something and drawing it on paper or using a wacom tablet where what I do on the desk is matched on the screen. The former is because my subject in real life is too hard to see because I have lower than normal vision, so fine detail gets lost at distance (and even big things I need to squint alot) and the later is I just can't get used to where the pen is on the tablet with relation to where the marks draw on my PC.

5. Bertross

Bertross Member

If all you planned to do was draw on it i would go to the apple store and use an ipad pro. I use it between home and work and its amazing. I can open my photoshop files on it in procreate and tranfer them back to my main pc easy.

I owned the companion 2 and it was a pain in the ass. Noisy. Hot. Auckward to use and had parrellax issues. The wacom studio fixes some of these issues but not all. Besides all that its really expensive. The ipad pro is also expensive but for me its been worth every penny and you can hold it with one hand for hours.

The other plus is you can use it in portrait mode whuch most of my work was done in.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  6. peteed1985

peteed1985 Member

It doesn't lag behind the pen?

The other concern i have is that I mainly use android. My phone is Samsung Galaxy S5 and I own apps on Android but my last iphone was like the 4s. Is it a pain to have 2 different OS's on top of a PC running windows? xD

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  7. Bertross

Bertross Member

Nah no pen lag or pallelax issues. I use cavases over 6000 pixels and no lag. I use android. Windows and osx so it doesnt bother me.

The ipad takes all the bs out of the problems that windows has and gives you just a pure drawing experience. Half of my work is on my ipad pro see link.

http://robertcrescenzio.deviantart.com

8. Concept007

Concept007 New Member

To be honest, I personally stay away from Samsung Tablets, iPad Pros and some of the products Microsoft has been coming out with.

It's not that they are bad products. Hell, the tablets are awesome! If you are a beginner to digital art, on a budget, and already own one then I would go with what you already have.

But if you are looking for a tablet specifically for drawing, many of them fall short if you are planning to really get into it. (Again this is mainly from my experience)

If you are looking for a graphics tablet specific for drawing then I would recommend other brands such as Huion, Ugee, or XP-Pen.

Personally, I have a Cintiq, but my wife is a student and owns a Ugee UG-2150.

I've used it, and it is definitely a close contender. The resolution is excellent, the pen pressure sensitivity was great and I found drawing on the surface was smooth (but you will need a drawing glove)

The Ugee was easy to set up and get started. With some tablets, the drivers can be a bit tricky. We ended up downloading them from the website with little trouble.

Having a solid stand was important to us, and the Ugee was very stable. (I tend to be heavy handed when drawing so having something that doesn't move is good).

It also came with two pens (my wacom only had one) which was a nice surprise.

One of the main downsides for us was cable placement. It can be a little awkward depending on your setup.

We got hers off Amazon for around $650 US

Other good alternatives we found when we were searching around were the XP-Pen Artist 22, Huion GT-220 (V2 seems to be better) and the Ugee HK1560.

Again, it all comes down to personal preference.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  9. Bertross

Bertross Member

The Huion is a good option if you want a cintiq desk option. i looked at one myself prior to buy the 24HD. At the time it was V1 which had some issues but they seem to be OK now.

The Parblo lineup looked interesting too.

http://parblo.com/graphic-monitor-2

10. DUS x SSJ4 x

DUS x SSJ4 x Member

**Just realised you want opinions on portable options... my bad. Depending on what youre drawing. I always opt'd to a humble sketch pad and ball point pen that I could scan later to render in photoshop. But depends on what youre sketching.

I havent actually had any experience with them. But over the years Huion is the only alternative brand that has seemed to grow. Other brands have like 1 display in their lineup with maybe a V2 update for slightly more. But Huion has gained good success, and im comfortable recommending them.

https://www.huiontablet.com/

I been using Cintiqs for years and years. I used 24HD's at Uni and have had a 13HD since 2013.

My next Cintiq purchase will be the 16" Pro which looks like a beast of a machine and the only decent progression of features wacom has had in the better part of a decade. I do read there are driver issues atm, but I am in no rush to pony up the cash. So all good there.

If you go Ipad pro, get it via a data sim plan with Optus. You'll find that the cost over 2 years basically makes the Sim plan free. And even if you decide to sell you should make most of your money back because high end apple stuff holds good value.