ASUS Transformer Infinity & 300 Series

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Carey, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Carey

Carey Member

ASUS have announced at the MWC the early replacement of the Transformer Prime, called the Infinity. Ditching the Eee moniker, the Infinity 4G sports Qualcomm's MSM8960 dual core which is quite the chip. More specs below. Oh, ASUS has also fixed the horrid GPS issue of the Prime with a little plastic strip at the top where the camera sits. The rest of the back is aluminium.

Thinking this could be my first tablet, can't wait until release! Hopefully the bootloader will be a little easier to unlock than the prime...

Transformer Infinity Homepage

Specs

• 1.6GHz quad core Tegra 3 (WiFi) or Qualcomm 1.5GHz dual core
    • 1920x1200 10.1" Super IPS+ Screen with gorilla glass
    • Android ICS
    • Same size as the Prime (8.5mm thin or so), 586g
    • Enhanced battery (to power that screen)

The 300 series is aimed at the middle line, more of the same 1280x800 10.1", Tegra 3 1.2GHz, and it comes in a few colours.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  2. Snoops

Snoops Member

I bought a prime last week knowing this was a possible Q2 release. I shall be upgrading! The screen bump will make rdp etc so much better and I really want a 3g or LTE option.

3. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

Shrug. I just bought the Prime 32GB and pretty happy with it.

I dont use it as a GPS seeing as my phone already does that. And it tethers to my Samgung Galaxy for internet so i just have to upgrade a data plan instead of carrying a pocket wifi device.

I guess if you're hanging out for a tablet go for the Infinity, but who knows how long you have to wait for stock? :thumbdn: Arent people still waiting for stock on Prime?

I've loaded a lot of things into the 32GB tablet and still have about 25% room. So i went and bought two microSD/SD expansion cards and plugged them in. Pretty awesome.

I wonder if the infinity improves on the rubber feet. At the moment my tablet sort of floats around the desk because the rubber feet dont really do anything (elevated) when you've docked the tablet into the keyboard.

One thing you might want to buy in advance are those accessories. They're all over ebay but it takes ages to arrive from HK/China :( I.e. stylus, cover screens, cases

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  4. Oppressa

Oppressa Member

Maybe I'll put the Infinity on order like I did the Prime, wait 3 fucking months for the store to get no stock then cancel my order haha

5. thebranded

thebranded Member

thats what i want!

6. Sankari

Sankari Member

How does the Qualcomm chip compare against Tegra 3?

7. Doso

Doso Member

8. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Does anyone know if the docks are interchangeable between generations, or are they unique?

9. darkbastard

darkbastard Member

tf101 tf201 docks are not interchangeable

10. doug81

doug81 Member

This will definitely be my first tab. I can't wait, I'd get a prime right now but theres no 3g/4g connectivity. This on ICS is going to kick ass! Do we know when yet?

11. Tythais

Tythais Member

I want one to put linux on!
    Hopefully out by tax time ;).

12. Oppressa

Oppressa Member

13. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Bumping with a related question.
    Does anyone know if you can use an Android tablet as a wireless hotspot? or better still, can you use USB tethering to provide internet access to my laptop?
    Surely it'll just be the same as any other Android phone, right?

14. Tosh1R

Tosh1R Member

if the device has a sim slot then yes you can.

15. Oppressa

Oppressa Member

16. JebusJones

JebusJones Member

Bought a TF300 with the dock for $590 at JB a week or so ago, it's a great little tablet/netbook.

I didn't know about the Infinity but wouldn't have got that anyway, I almost got a Prime but didn't like the aluminium backing and couldn't stomach the extra price for slightly better screen and a flash on the camera.

17. AthlonMan

AthlonMan (Banned or Deleted)

Weren't tablets originally supposed to be cheap alternatives to notebooks? :D

Edit: In one unboxing, not sure if true or not, the CPU was clocked at 1.9ghz not the advertised 1.6ghz.

18. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

In the US the Infinity has a RRP of US$499 (32GB), or US$600 (64GB); keyboard an additional US$150. I've been delighted with my T101 (bought near new with keyboard for AU$400), which served me extremely well during a two week business trip to China. I'll certainly be looking to upgrade to the Infinity, skipping the Prime and its minor design issues.

Having said that about the Prime, the docking mechanism of the original Transformer (T101), was redesigned for the Prime (T201), reducing the number of parts and simplifying the mechanism (which is why the T101's keyboard isn't compatible with the Prime), a definite advantage. The docking mechanism has been improved slightly for the Infinity, which is why it again needs its own keyboard, but I don't see this as a big deal; I suspect anyone upgrading to the Infinity would be selling their previous Transformer with the keyboard anyway.

19. power

power Member

You can use a prime's dock with the Infinity which is a pretty good idea but I think the update is a little too incremental for me to trade up yet.

20. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

The official word is that it's the other way around; you can use the Infinity's dock with the Prime, but not the Prime's dock with the Infinity. I could check with the engineers, but I'm pretty sure that's the way it goes.