Avoid High Sierra (10.13) until next version increment

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by deepspring, Oct 6, 2017.

1. deepspring

deepspring Member

Well I've done a fresh install of macOS High Sierra (10.13) on my MBP, and it's not even 2 days in and I'm already finding bugs. Everything from sluggish network performance (confirmed with my iMac running Sierra (10.12.x) and linux laptop) to half functioning settings windows.

One caveat to note, I purposely selected Apple's new wiz-bang filesystem on the promise of better performance from my solid state drive. I'm yet to notice any performance benefit from programs I use daily (Lightroom, Photoshop, etc).

2. damo13579

damo13579 Member

Unless you really need/want one of the new features in a new OS its always good to wait for the .1 release, there is always stuff that doesnt get picked up during beta testing that gets sorted with an update a month or so after release.

3. giles666

giles666 Member

I've had issues with a few apps (most notably Unity) and Xcode has some bugs, but otherwise pretty happy with High Sierra (on a current Gen 15" MBP)

4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Our problem is it doesn't work with a huge volume of Adobe applications and features. But that's no surprise - this happens every single time.

We generally don't roll out until .1 or even .2. It seems third party developers don't actually use their developer accounts nor beta access any more.

5. deepspring

deepspring Member

6. deepspring

deepspring Member

Mostly dev/secops and use the beta versions, I follow a few on twitter.

7. elvis

Yeah man, they get cred for exploits. There's incentive for them to do so.

Adobe give no fucks. Not now, not ever. (Have I mentioned I still get spammed today because of Adobe getting their customer database stolen some 4 years ago? Thanks, arseholes).

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  8. deepspring

deepspring Member

I've never used beta builds, mainly because I don't want the headache but also because I have no idea how to get myself out of trouble if something fucks up.

I only installed High Sierra because I was interested in the new filesystem "APFS". So far I'm not impressed.

9. elvis

I don't expect many "regular users" would ever want to touch a beta. And that's fine.

But I'd expect someone as big and as well funded as Adobe to be using their expensive developer accounts to get their software ready for a new OS ahead of time, and be communicating with said OS developer to ensure a smooth transition for their combined customer base.

I too am waiting for APFS. HFS+ is ancient, and worryingly destructive of information.

The industry I work in forces checksums of large multimedia files when transferred between systems. Of the dozen or so production filesystems we have in place, guess which is responsible for more wasted time due to failed data transfers than any other? Yup, HFS+. It needs to die.

I'll be pushing hard for APFS as our new standard very soon. But for that to happen, I also need my production Adobe applications to work first, otherwise there's little point in the move.

Tapping my fingers, waiting for my vendors to get their shit together. As usual.

10. deepspring

deepspring Member

Well Adobe Photoshop, Bridge and Lightroom appear to work, I haven't tried anything heavy though. I don't know about the other programs, I don't use them.

It could be a while before we know of any serious flaws in the filesystem, I don't know of many devops that have been using it.

11. giles666

giles666 Member

I moved away from Adobe products a while ago. Was always having issues with bugs or incompatibility.

Have managed to survive without them just fine.

12. deepspring

deepspring Member

If you don't mind me asking, what did you use in their place?

13. elvis

I'm slowly making inroads where I work, but it's a hard slog moving 250 professional artist away from Adobe. Especially when you've got senior folks who literally pioneered high end digital art in film and television using Photoshop 3.0 on Silicon Graphics workstations running IRIX in the mid 90s.

There's some real legacy there that takes a virtual crowbar to budge. But with every worsening release of Adobe products, and the tsunami of deadline destroying bugs that comes with them, it is finally starting to budge.

14. giles666

giles666 Member

I only really used Illustrator and Photoshop and moved to Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo.

Bit of a learning curve, but once you're passed that they do all the same things.

15. deepspring

deepspring Member

I use Affinity Designer as well, but I still miss some of the neat features in Illustrator like the feature complete pen tool and rotated duplicates (automagically placing items around a circle - ie. clock face).

I haven't tried Affinity Photo, I mostly use Lightroom.

16. deepspring

deepspring Member

I've had a chance to use my laptop more today than most, and it is so unstable. Just using LibreOffice and Affinity Designer was enough to stop the computer for up to five minutes each time. Evening changing tabs in Chrome can result in a "hang".

17. [KEi]SoVeReIgN

[KEi]SoVeReIgN Member

One bad experience on one laptop that may (or may not) be OS upgrade related and the guidance is no one should upgrade?

Pretty ridiculous.

18. giles666

giles666 Member

I dont know that you mean about the feature complete pen tool, but I think Power Duplicate does the rotated duplicates you are after.

19. Azrael

Azrael Member

Right, well time to not upgrade then. Glad i checked.

Annoyingly on my Sierra install my Adobe products are all now showing up as non-Genuine, despite calling Adobe several times and getting confirmations that they are genuine. Gah.

20. elvis

100% agreed for all software. Operating systems too.