Ayr - A Solid State HTPC Project

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by slipperyskip, Nov 30, 2012.

1. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Hello OCAU! I have lost count of how many projects I have posted here over the years and I always enjoy coming back. I have just been bragging about how well run this place is and how active and friendly the membership is at OCAU.

Here is the start to my latest custom computer project. The name Ayr was chosen because of the fanless air cooling that is the center of this project. Literally, as you will find out later.

The objective is to get Intel HD4000 graphics out of a fanless, solid state, no moving parts, dead silent HTPC system.

[​IMG]

Gigabyte Z77 Mini-ITX board.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Silverstone HE02 Heatsink. Nearly 1 Kg of cooling goodness.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Intel i3-3225 with HD4000 graphics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking. :thumbup:

2. thebranded

thebranded Member

you sure there's a MB under that heat sink? :D

3. BeanerSA

BeanerSA Member

It's a start. What are you're plans for case, psu?

4. dorsy99

dorsy99 Member

Sub'd for more amazing wood. (Both meanings intended ;))

Very interested in how it's gonna stay cool.

5. BBITS

BBITS Member

LOL WHAT... this is ridiculously good

6. BeanerSA

BeanerSA Member

It is?!?! :confused:

I'm not saying this isn't going to be a good project, but it's a hs on a cpu/mb.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  7. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

It is pretty funny isn't it? "Step 2: Attach motherboard to heatsink" :thumbup:

Hey Beaner. I typically don't give out too much info about plans. That's just my style. The power supply will be a 150W PicoPSU. You can see my other work at my web site. Most of those projects can also be found here in these forums.

The HS02 heatsink is rated at 95W when fanless and the CPU is rated at 55W. Theoretically, it should work. Only one way to find out. :thumbup:

I know. Crazy huh? It just seemed like way too much fun to not do. With Ivy Bridge thermal ratings so low it just seemed like the time to go full passive.

8. dorsy99

dorsy99 Member

Damn right. If it works, might be worth throwing one in my server.

Will you have any ambient airflow, or will it be enclosed in a case?

Now I'm really keen for more updates!

9. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Good question about the ambient airflow. It is hard to imagine rating it at a very specific 95W when stock cases have such varied airflow specs. Maybe the 95W assumes some internal case flow. I'm still comfortable trying it because of the 40W difference. Heatsinks will also create their own airflow from natural circulation. Again...only one way to find out. :thumbup:

EDIT: The heatsink will be exposed approx. 80-85%. I intend to integrate the heatsink into the cases exterior design.

10. Rory K

Rory K Member

Will you be mounting it vertically or horizontally? I would have thought mounting the mobo vertically would perform better in passive, since the heatsink fins would be vertical, but it would be interesting to test :)

11. Pugsley_21

Pugsley_21 Member

12. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

The heatsink will be horizontal and 80-85% exposed. Vertically mounted will be Rev 2.0 if the horizontal fails. I keep imagining a vertically-mounted 1 Kg heatsink snapping the motherboard in half. Well...rip out a few bolts anyway. ;)

I'm familiar with ADATA products. Nicely made. Great project. Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

13. dorsy99

dorsy99 Member

Yeah... you would need to support it somehow... humm...

Are you planning on doing anything to the heatsink itself, or keep it stock nickle?

14. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

The fins are actually aluminum and my primary goal is to keep from damaging them during construction. I can already see myself asking Silverstone for another.

If you are asking if I plan to paint the heatsink then the answer is no...not ever. I have had some pretty good luck with wood accented with aluminum like Level Eleven and Aerodyne. I'm thinking more of the same here.

15. sjp770

sjp770 Member

Amazing previous projects, very interested to see where this one goes!

Love the PSU PC, made my day!

16. BigDave

BigDave Member

Subbed for slipperyskip goodness :thumbup:

Hey SS i pointed a couple of guys on OCN your way regarding rad boxes, did any of them contact you?

17. Acesi7

Acesi7 Member

Love the concept. Got me thinking about a dedicated passive server now. Can't wait to see the case. Your woodworking skills are amazing!

18. BBITS

BBITS Member

I've just spent an hour and a half studying your website.
    I feel wood offsets the "ugly" feel of computer steel. Just great

19. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks. The PSU PC still gets lots of web traffic even after eight years.

Good to have you Dave! No OCN guys that I know of but I don't do work for hire. This is a pure hobby for me. I still have every piece I have ever built.

Thanks mate! :thumbup:

Just an hour and a half? You must have skimmed it over. :) I make stuff that I like. Some people get what I'm doing and some don't. I call them imaginary products from a parallel universe.

[​IMG]

Received a fresh batch of mahogany. It comes in a 15 sheet pack.

[​IMG]

I call it veneer but it is really dimensional lumber. It is 1/32" (.8 mm) thick and 3 inches wide. I often have to splice sheets together but that is easy because they are laser cut.

[​IMG]

Pieced together a template cut from white poster paper. What do you call that stuff on your side of the planet? I've also heard it called construction paper and card stock. This is a technique I use often.

[​IMG]

The piece will fit here. I'll be cutting out two identical sheets of thin aircraft grade birch plywood from the template, One will go where shown and another on top of the heatsink.

I'll be robbing some parts from other projects over the weekend to get this thing fired up. I need to get a handle on what the temps are for this "bare" configuration. I'll also check out the real difference between horizontal and vertical orientation.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  20. electro rc

electro rc Member

After seeing your other work I am really keen to see how this progresses and what the end result is like (can only be good considering your skills:thumbup:).