Bent pins

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by Luke212, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Luke212

Luke212 Member

i spend 10 minutes fumbling around trying to work out which way my Xeon goes in my X99 motherboard because they dont fucking label it,

and i drop the fucking cpu on the socket and ruin the motherboard.

what a shitty way of doing things. fragile little fucking things. why didnt they label the direction for the socket? i studied it carefully and the arrow on the cpu did not match anything on the mb.... amazing.

1. no direction labling
    2. fucking fragile socket
    3. ....

can you fix it i guess is my question. its like 3 pins or something bent.

2. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

3. im late

im late Member

4. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

May read the manual first next time? One corner of the plastic socket is slightly chipped off and that's where the triangle corner goes.

5. havabeer

havabeer Member

aren't there offset notches to stop this kind of idiocy?

6. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

Well not if one drops the CPU on to pins. Very unfortunate.

7. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

yeah there are... theyre called dummy spacers :lol:

8. Luke212

Luke212 Member

No. there are grooves on top and bottom to prevent sideways, but they are symmetrical so you don't know which way is up and down. Ridiculous!

I looked for a pattern on the pins... nope. I tried matching CPU text to motherboard text first and that didn't work. Hence I got trying multiple and of course dropped it :(

I've installed dozens of CPUs so I always though bent pins was a myth!

Edit: I had a look this morning and I can see a faint arrow on the mb, but very very faint.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  9. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Can you take a close up high res pic of the socket? If its only a few pins as you say, it is probably repairable. I've fixed quite a few.

10. Luke212

Luke212 Member

hey thanks, ive tried to lift the pins back up with a screwdriver. it looks better. fingers crossed... :pirate:

11. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

all the best.

i purchased a magnifying set with tiny needles (used for sewing)

Which has helped me fix bent pins before.

i like to buy boards off ebay and gumtree that have bent pins (for dirt cheap off course), and try and fix them.

Got a few paperweights around that i was unsuccessful, but fixed a few and made some good beer money from them!!

12. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

They are not symmetrical.

13. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

The CPU only goes in one way, you can't get it wrong :\

But yes, the manual for both your board and CPU shows you the orientation so you don't even need to look at the keyed edges.

14. Luke212

Luke212 Member

i straightened the pins but when i start, it stops at b0 Runtime AP installation begins.

i think it might be a problem that I am using 4133MHz DDR4. shouldnt it just downclock it? but i dont have any other ram to test...

15. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

no point using more then 3000-3200 on X99 mate

Even if your board was working, guarantee you wouldnt get your ram @ 4133 on X99.

16. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I wouldn't be blaming the RAM personally. Yes, it should downclock it, although it might take a couple reboots to decide on a setting that works.

You haven't necessarily fixed the pins. Lining them all up in straight lines etc is a start, but you need them to be correct on 3 axis.. the two straight lines AND the height.

Hold the board in your hand under good light and rotate it, so you can get a good look at it from all directions. Its possible that a pin looks fine from above, but is just a mickey hair lower than the rest of them... therefore not making contact with its corresponding pad with sufficient pressure if at all. Try to look at the pins from the side and see if any are lower than the rest, or just don't look quite right compared to the others.

Look for gaps too.. sometimes a bent pin can be virtually hidden under another pin, and the only clue you have is a gap between pins where it should have been.

To adjust height you are going to need very good eyes and light (or a magnifier with light as I use) and a needle. It would need to be a pretty tiny screwdriver to fix pin height, you need to get under one pin without pressing on its neighbour and even knife blades look pretty thick under a magnified pin, let alone screwdrivers.

17. Moarkill

Moarkill Member

A clothes pin or sewing needle is the trick. I purchased a z68 board from here years ago and when it arrived it had 6 bent pins. Managed to straighten them. The pins will leave a small indentation in the ads.. Make sure you can see this for all pads.

18. newlife

newlife Member

I've managed to fix a z77 board with approx 100-200 bent pins and fixed it with a toothpick and no magnifying glass but it isn't how many are bent but how badly they are bent

19. Luke212

Luke212 Member

im going to check the pins again under magnifying glass and then flash bios as well.

gskill is fucking annoying they dont list SPD ratings for their ram: https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-4133c19d-16gtza
    what sort of manufacturer doesnt list their SPDs? i cant find SPD table anywhere online ! :upset::upset: another question, will the ram run at all at 1.2v which is the default for x99?

i have some low speed ddr4 coming as well in next few days as a last ditch effort to test!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  20. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Pretty much all modern desktop boards default at 1.2v. My Z270 does, for instance.

XMP changes voltages, clocks, whatever it needs to do to achieve the speed its rated at.

My GSKill 3200 runs XMP 15-15-15-35 @ 1.35V, of course it will run faster or slower, but the voltages require change.

I can for instance run them at 3200 10-10-10-28, but I use 1.7v for that :eek:

I have some Corsair LPX 4266 here which runs XMP 19-26-26-46 @ 1.4v, but to achieve that it attempts to change the BLCK to 103.5.. my board won't boot into Windows with that RAM at XMP settings.

That's probably a limitation of my little ITX board in the case of it not booting @ XMP, but the same ram will definitely post on auto, at 2400/1.2v. I've actually had it at 4000 17-18-18-36, but using 1.4v. The tighter the timings, the more volts needed in the case of those sticks. I cannot make them run faster than 4000, no matter what, on my board.

They certainly post into BIOS every time without fail though, @ 2400 1.2v.

I think the official chipset limitation for Z170 is something like 3733+ and for Z270 is 4133+. The ( + ) is pot luck from what I can figure.

Z170 defaults to 2133 @ 1.2v, Z270 defaults to 2400 @ 1.2v. I'm pretty sure X99 defaults ram speeds at 2133 15-15-15 @ 1.2v.
    Yours should behave the same way, unless there is some mystery I'm unaware of with X99.

I'm pretty sure there is a hard limit of 4133 for DDR4 in Kaby Lake, not sure about X99. That's why my board won't do 4266 without changing the BLCK to compensate.

So, to cut the previous story short, if you can't even post with your 4133 RAM installed, then either the RAM or the board is faulty. Look closer at those pins !!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017