Best burgers in Melbourne

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Amfibius, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

I thought I would set myself a new challenge. Over the past few years, I have tried to find the best steak in Melbourne (answer - Rockpool). Best pizza in Melbourne (answer - DOC). Of course, I am partial to my own steak and my own pizza which - ahem - I think is pretty good - but if you ask me to pay $70 for a steak in Rockpool, I would still gladly do so!

I have set myself a much cheaper (but still waistline busting) challenge - to find the best burger in Melbourne. Yes I am aware of The Burger Adventure Blog - which is a group of guys trying to do exactly the same as what I am doing. And no, I haven't been to as many joints as them.

I was wondering if people could share their recommendations and post a mini-review of what the burgers are like?

So far - I have four candidates for the best burger. Andrew's, Beatbox kitchen, Rockpool, and Burger Inc.

2. scrantic

scrantic Member

Huey's burger at Barney Allen's is a contender intense flavours from the Caramelised Onion, Succulent burger patty is one of my all time favourites. Good bar which you'll sometimes find Huey propping up as well.

With a starter of the Crumbed Mushrooms and a side of fries with Huey's "Kick Ass Sauce" you cant go wrong.

Burger Consists of.

• Bacon
    • Cheese
    • Beetroot Relish
    • Caramelised Onion
    • Burger Patty

3. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

That's not the same Huey on TV is it?

4. `X'

`X' Member

certainly is and you may see him if your there (ran into him when i was there)

and the crumbed mushrooms freaking rock.

Barney Allen's is really good value to.

5. scrantic

scrantic Member

I should have added the burger is $12.50 with Fries as well.

6. akashra

akashra Member

Try Relish on Clarendon St.

7. Dogo

Dogo Member

Since its subjective, what are your expectations for the 'best' burger?

8. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Well ... it can't be too big. One bite should be able to go through the top and bottom bun.

Bun should be soft, slightly sweet, and it MUST be toasted.

Beef should be nicely caramelized and preferably medium rare in the center and still juicy.

Cheese must be melted.

You would be surprised how many places fail all 4 of the criteria above.

9. mopiko

mopiko Member

Burger Van?

10. nEBUz

nEBUz Member

Probably not the best burger in Melbourne, but I'm a sucker for That Place :( It's pretty good, chips are great, I feel it's sometimes let down by the salad though. It is however cheap and next to my wife's work :thumbup:

11. Dogo

Dogo Member

Out of curiosity I had a search to see if there's judging guidelines on burgers somewhere , but I can't find anything good :(

Subscribed..

12. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

Danny's Diner? Apparently the Fitzroy one's burgers are better than the St Kilda one.

13. Jay

Jay Member

Danny's and Andrew's both make great burders but every time after eating at either one I'm already booking in my bypass surgery.

Edit: Forgot to mention the Burger Lounge in Eltham, appears to be the same owners as the charcoal chicken shop on Bolton St nearby. Burgers are good and aren't dripping with grease, more of a clean tasting burger.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  14. Sephir0th

Sephir0th Member

Related, after seeing this on tv we decided to try it at home. Not overly healthy/amazing but was something different..

Have been meaning to try Andrew's Hamburgers given I live fairly close to it, should do that soon.

15. scrantic

scrantic Member

I Break burgers up into two different categories. I've tried the below burger places more than once.

Take Away Style
    1. Andrew's I rank this slightly above Danny's I prefer the patty.
    2. Danny's The fact you can get a Double/Triple burger if you have the urge.

Restaurant/Gourmet Style
    1. Huey's Ticks most of Amfs boxes but cant remember if the bun is toasted, also might be a bit big, I remember Heston saying the human mouth can open two fingers wide so that's the ideal thickness for a Burger.
    2. Burger Lounge I find the range of burgers impressive but a little under whelming also not sure about the buns they use...

Some places to try.
    http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/about-town/hello-hamburger-heaven-20110621-1gcoo.html

16. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

I can fit four fingers in my mouth :) I think the ideal burger thickness should be slightly less than 3 fingers wide. When I make my patty, it is nearly as thick as one finger anyway. Any thinner, and I won't be able to caramelize the surface while leaving the inside medium rare.

Oh yes, I did a bit of googling and found this. A group of bloggers whose sole mission is to find the best burgers in the world (but most of the blog entries are in Melbourne). Their top 10 in 2011 is here:

10. The Newmarket Hotel, St Kilda
    9. Gasometer, Collingwood
    8. Danny's Burgers, Fitzroy North
    7. Collins Kitchen at Grand Hyatt, Melbourne
    6. Barney Allen's, St. Kilda
    5. Rockpool Bar and Grill, Southbank (Mishima burger)
    4. Rockpool Bar and Grill, Southbank (David Blackmore's Wagyu burger)
    3. Trunk Diner, Melbourne
    2. Beatbox Kitchen, various
    1. NSHRY, Albert Park

... note no Andrew's on that list. So far I have only tried Beatbox and Rockpool Wagyu in that top 10, meaning I have 8 more I haven't tried. Trying to think which ones are within striking distance of a bike ride tonight. It would depend if they frown on me walking in with helmet hair, T-shirt, and shorts ...

I should stop thinking about burgers and get back to work!

17. scrantic

scrantic Member

Ill head to 9. Gasometer, Collingwood for a Friday lunch in the next few weeks and report back. I will also head to Huxtaburger one day this week for lunch. http://theburgeradventure.com/2012/02/huxtaburger/

Will also try and make the challenge for the year with my mates to eat our way through the top 10.

Beatbox may be tricky but we'll get there :).

P.S I love burgers what have you started Amf! :)

18. Jay

Jay Member

Seems like it was at 10 for 2010.

19. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

will have to give some of the places in that list a shot

I am partial to the burgers at Soda Rock on chapel st as well, top quality burgers and fries as well. pretty sure they are twice cooked chips

20. NSanity

NSanity Member

have you made the heston burger yet?