Best platform for kids doing digital art in 2017 - Windows or Mac?

Discussion in 'Graphic Design & Digital Art' started by antipody, Dec 15, 2016.

1. antipody

antipody Member

I spent about 10 minutes last weekend in the Canberra Mac store playing with these ipad's with styluses and some nice mac software for drawing and making art.

It all felt very intuitive and responsive. After the experience, my g/f is under pressure from her 10 year old for xmas to drop $1000 on one of these tablets.

Today I remembered this

Wondering about chrissie presents for kids, which is better these days for art,

mac or windows?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Honestly, the computer is the least of your problems. Once you're in a fullscreen application, your OS and hardware are pretty meaningless in today's world of powerful systems. (Citation: I run the R&D team for a bunch of folks who make high end professional art).

Choose your application stack, and from there choose hardware that works with it.

And I wouldn't be me without spruiking the open source option:

https://krita.org

Krita is bloody great for hand-drawing, illustration, colouring and animation. Works great with Wacom, Apple Pencil, Microsoft Surface Pen, and even the cheap shitty Wacom knockoff tablet/pen combo I bought from Aldi one time. Runs on any OS that supports OpenGL (i.e.: all of them).

Both our Animation Director at work and my kids at home use it, and love it. Both ends of the spectrum satisfied with it, which is a pretty good review, I think.

Here's a video just on their latest 3.1 update:

3. bYrd

bYrd Member

$1000 gift for a 10yo? Personally I'd look into a cheap Android tablet or something like a Wacom graphic tablet for a desktop PC.

4. martini.txt

martini.txt Member

Yep, chinese android tablet and a decent capacitive stylus.

Then when they get bored of it 2 weeks in you don't feel like a total moron for investing in their fleeting hobby, while still giving them a chance to try it if they do develop a passion for it.

5. power

power Member

10yo?

I'd make them learn the basics of art first on real physical stuff then they can shift over to digital - so easel, paints (or a sketchbook) and some classes.

Buy a tablet and expect it to get used for everything else but creating.

6. antipody

antipody Member

Android tablet or linux tablet?

Anything to be aware of regarding capacative or other types of styluses?

7. martini.txt

martini.txt Member

Android, plenty of drawing/art apps available.

Capacitive stylus is basically emulating a finger touched to the screen, but with more precision. These are far more basic (and harder to break...) than the apple and microsoft styluses which use bluetooth and whatever else to communicate pressure.

I think I'm with power re: starting with a sketchbook though.

8. adr_an

adr_an Member

That looks really good! I'm going to install that tonight and fiddle around with it. :)

To the OP, you could possibly look for some second hand Surface Pros that'd do the trick. I used to have the Surface Pro 1 and it was still alright for graphics stuff that my kids would do.

9. antipody

antipody Member

So, the kid's family has decided against getting him a $1000 ipad. His uncle said he's probably going to get him a Raspberry Pi for xmas.

Was wondering if he could use a Wacom tablet and Krita on a Raspberry Pi. Is that going to work?

10. kogi

kogi Member

If he really wants to draw, get him a pack of derwents and a sketch pad

11. antipody

antipody Member

Kid has been doing that for years...

Currently looking at the Raspberry Pi with a Wacom Intuos tablet. Just hope the Pi has enough grunt.

12. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

exactly, get the basics down first. computers are just another set of tools and they're useless if you don't have the basic design skills to even work the applications.

13. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

I recommend a used Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 or the likes. I don't often recommend Samsung much these days, but they would be quite good for what you want to do with it and it shouldn't cost much at all (<$250 for a good used example).