Better mixing in Windows 10?

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by tin, Jan 12, 2017.

1. tin

tin Member

OK, so is there an alternative mixing system to the built in one in Windows?

Ideally, I'd like to be able to:
    1) Allow a specific program to have it's volume boosted if required.
    2) Send a program's audio to a different output (even programs that don't offer a choice).
    3) Have a less retarded master control - I don't like the way Windows pushes the source sliders around to change the master.

Is there some way to achieve something like that? Just curious. Not got a specific requirement as such (mostly a radio stream that's a bit quiet got me curious about boosting one program).

2. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

Try out ear trumpet gets you some of the way but not all unfortunately

3. cesario

cesario Member

I noticed that app has a disclaimer im very wary about

I have been using the Roccat Grid app on my phone. Doesnt do output source but does everything else and you can customise the profiles to display (almost) whatever you want. media control, Independent volume mixer, macros etc... and it has a good 'free' version.

I made a thread last year (or the year before) about a similar question with a few other suggestions, I will try and find it which may help you out but in the end I just settled for the Grid app so I can control everything without minimising my game / movie / whatever

4. tin

tin Member

I love that warning... Windows Update should say the same thing :thumbup: :D

5. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

What interface are you using?

6. cesario

cesario Member

7. Spork!

Spork! Member

Halleluiah :D

8. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

yeah i love the warning i haven't had any problems with it so far, touch wood.

Does the old volume mixer detect and support metro apps? Thats the reason i found ear trumpet so that i can control one of the apps i use which is metro..

9. cesario

cesario Member

actually im not sure. Iv never used windows apps so I cant confirm. I might have to give it a try tonight an see

10. tin

tin Member

If you right click and go "open volume mixer" it gives you the same mixer as what 7 gives if you click "mixer" under the master slider.
    No real advantage to me changing that other than saving a click if I forget and left click the icon instead. Which now that I think about it, I might appreciate anyway :thumbup:

11. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

@OP, what soundcard etc are you using?

12. tin

tin Member

Shows in device manager as Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio. Not sure exactly what model.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  13. Optimus.

Optimus. Member

Vista removed the directsound API. This API was being abused by developers to get direct low-level access to hardware (by-passing windows access controls). It was the cause of the majority of blue screens in 98/XP so they removed it and replaced with the single audio line... This is why we can't target specific apps as sound sources anymore (we can only listen to the entire 'what you hear' audio out).

So very annoying.

VirtualJack was the closest app I found to restoring the functionality however it was very hit and miss.