[Build] HyperCube 3D Printer

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by oRiCLe, Feb 22, 2017.

1. oRiCLe

oRiCLe Member

Thought I would start a build log as printing of the parts has just begun if anyone is interested...

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1752766

currently running a 10mm VORON, interested to compare it to a HyperCube, some things I am leaning towards liking more, some parts may become hybrid between the two...mainly interested as the guy is in Australia that designed it and it makes the parts easier to access from local suppliers :D

Just started printing the parts off tonight...

First Batch...

[​IMG]

Second Batch...

currently printing..

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  2. thedealer

thedealer Member

I was looking to build the voron but after seeing this I might be inclined to build this instead. I would be cannibalising my i3 as well.

3. oRiCLe

oRiCLe Member

yeah the VORON is a great machine and well worth the build.

I do like to CAD up customisations to my printers and while the components of the VORON are very efficiently designed, as weird as it sounds its actually a bit of a flaw for me as it makes it difficult to modify and customise...

4. oRiCLe

oRiCLe Member

UPDATE: That's all the X & Y parts printed

- E3D mount and holder clip
    - spool holder and mount
    - also printed the custom BLTouch sensor mount

...all thats left is the fan duct and Z-Axis

I am modifying slightly to use 10mm Rods for the Z-Axis instead of the 8mm as I will be using a 6mm alloy bed that is 230mmX230mm, so printing off a version of the bearing holders that supports my LM10LUU bearings and don't need rod mounts as have some alloy leg or flush mounts that I will use for additional rigidity from an old build.

[​IMG]

5. thedealer

thedealer Member

Looking good. How long did it take to print all that with the (assuming) voron?

6. oRiCLe

oRiCLe Member

yep with the VORON, um hard to tell been doing it in blocks just finished the two bearing holders for Z, that took 2.5 hours, just loaded up the Z motor mount, screw mount and idler and thats another 2 hours , so all up probably about 10-12hours at 60mm/s

3 perimeters, 0.25mm layers, 50% infill with eSun ABS+

7. oRiCLe

oRiCLe Member

Quick weekend update...

spool holder built and assembled, loving it!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and Z platform mounts are installed and ready for the bed and rods...

[​IMG]

now waiting from some nuts and bearings from china to continue the build...

8. thedealer

thedealer Member

Looks great. I love that spool holder design. Gonna have a go at printing that myself. Can't wait to see the finished printer!

9. oRiCLe

oRiCLe Member

Almost ready to assemble, just waiting on the 3mm bearings now, hopefully should be here this week...

[​IMG]

10. SimParadox

SimParadox Member

I was trying to find the spool holder shapes in the link you provided but I don't see them. Did you design them yourself?

11. oRiCLe

oRiCLe Member

the clamp is in the main thing, the spool holders are in the accessory pack thing...

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2084725

12. SimParadox

SimParadox Member

13. oRiCLe

oRiCLe Member

finally got the bearings in the mail today being the last part i needed to continue with the build...

printing out a few remixes of parts that have appeared over the last few weeks that look to be stronger and nicer versions, will update once printing is done and assembly begins...

14. thedealer

thedealer Member

I've just started printing myself. Just curious what remixes you're printing?

15. oRiCLe

oRiCLe Member

- running 10mm Z axis shafts on alloy brackets so printed the LM10LUU Z brackets.
    - just finished the upgraded X-rod brackets and will probably mod my XY gantry caps to suit the optical endstops i have instead of printing the modified cap with the tab on it.
    - z mount upgrade for the acme screw is alot more sturdy than the original
    - Updated Y gantry idlers look the goods also compared to stock

and thats it so far i think :p

Also trying out a BL Touch on this build as have an inductive sensor, currently have ABL with the nozzle and microswitch on the VORON and an IR differential sensor but none have worked well enough in terms of repeatability...

Here is my collection on thingiverse with all the mods I have collected or plan to use: http://www.thingiverse.com/ube3d/collections/hypercube

16. hoopstar

hoopstar Member

what electronics are you running?

17. oRiCLe

oRiCLe Member

Running a RAMPS on a 32-bit Re-Arm board

18. oRiCLe

oRiCLe Member

Quick update for the weekend, haven't had a lot of time to work on the printer, busy packing boxes to move house but finally spent some time working on it today while watching the F1...

Manage to assemble the Z carriage and the X frame and carriage for testing and measurements, all looking good so far, just need to cut the 2020 down to size now and then assemble.

Quite pleased with how rock solid the Z-axis is and the extra wide stance on the rods will certainly prevent any chance of racking :D

By the calculations I will have a build area of about 250x250x250mm

Also been working on the electronics and enclosure design, will be laser cutting that in black acrylic and enclosing the entire printer to get away from the spaghetti look...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. hoopstar

hoopstar Member

I've been looking at various 3D printer designs for my first build for the last few months after using our Ultimaker 2+ and Genuine Prusa i3 at work..

I was very close to pulling the trigger on the Voron design when I stumbled onto your thread about the Hypercube. Having watched the build video log and a bit of research, I think this looks like the ideal unit.

Only thing is the Z-axis rods in the design seem very small @ 8mm. The Ultimaker usings 12mm Z-axis rods and it seems more logical to me...

What are your thoughts oRiCLe having built one as far as you have?

20. oRiCLe

oRiCLe Member

I'm in the middle then in terms of Z-axis, at 10mm and using solid alloy mounts it seems very solid.

I haven yet cut down the bed forks and they are still 400mm long and you can press down on the ends for only a couple of mm flex; also needing consideration that with my 230x230x6mm MIC-6 build plate weighing in quite a bit more in comparison to say the PCB or Al heated beds you can get as well as building it 50mm each direction larger than the video is, 10mm seems like the right size to me. and solid mounts all the way as opposed to printed ones.