Camelot Unchained [Kickstarter]

Discussion in 'MMOs' started by Kliphoth, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Kliphoth

Kliphoth Member

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained?ref=live

Edit: My description sucked so Edit to replace with official description! :p

What is Camelot Unchained?

Camelot Unchained takes one part classic legends, adds a twisty little apocalyptic passage, and mixes in a whole batch of creativity to birth not just another “me and my WoW-clone”, but a unique RvR-focused MMORPG. A cataclysmic explosion pierced “The Veil” that separates dimensions, bringing forth a nightmarish mix of both legends and horrors upon our world, leading to an extinction-level event. It is against the backdrop of an almost unrecognizable world that our game unfolds, and as a player of Camelot Unchained, you can expect the following:

·Camelot Unchained is a subscription-based, RvR-focused MMORPG. RvR is an acronym for Realm vs. Realm® (this term is a registered trademark of Electronic Arts), which we call TriRealm™ for the interaction of the three main realms.

·The game will feature RvR-based leveling tracks for all classes. No PvE (player vs. environment) -based leveling, loot drops or other such systems are currently planned. All leveling will come from engaging in the game’s RvR-based systems, whether by fighting other players, capturing objectives, and/or crafting objects to help in RvR.

·You will have the choice of playing any realm on each of the game’s servers except that you may play only characters from the same realm on any single server. In other words, one server = one realm.

·Our subscription tiers will be based on players' individual choices regarding participation, but will be less than the current accepted norm for MMORPGs.

·The game will be developed for PC (Windows) with stretch goals for other platforms.

·The game will be available in English with French, German and other languages based on demand.

·The client will be DRM-free and distributed via Torrent.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  2. Scroosh

Scroosh Member

It sounds interesting but I'm going to wait until I get a look at the graphics and how the combat mechanics work before putting any money on it.

3. Kliphoth

Kliphoth Member

http://camelotunchained.com/en/category/foundationalprinciple/?orderby=date&order=asc

Foundational Principles of the game, would post the text spam here but there is a massive wall of it so yea.... well worth a read if your sick of MMO's these day's being to easy and giving in to every WoW kid's cry to make things easier etc :p (Foundational Principle #3 – You should always hold the hands of your little children while crossing busy intersections but…) read that one to get my meaning :)

4. Scroosh

Scroosh Member

I'm amazed they want 2 mil and don't even show a screen shot.

Even more amazed that they will probably get it.

5. Kliphoth

Kliphoth Member

im not amazed at all, seen as how good a following DAOC had :)

6. Korbzy

Korbzy Member

7. Scroosh

Scroosh Member

Still no screen shots?

8. Draethz

Draethz Member

The little tech demo thing has me worried about the graphics style of the game. Looked a lot more like a diablo type graphical style then a standard MMO type.

9. Korbzy

Korbzy Member

They displayed that not for the graphics of the models but to prove they have the knowledge to have masses of people on the screen with no lag. The animations were very simply and is know where near what the end game would look like. They even mentioned that.

Also there is no current game that can support what CSE are currently doing in terms of people in 1 zone fighting. GW2 struggled and lost lots of players due to the fact that in WvW players wernt being rendered in battles with 50-100 people and people were dieing to invisible players.

Even WoW cant support more then 100 people on 1 screen, CSE are trying to have 500+ on your screen at anyyime fighting each other in 1 epic battle.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  10. Kliphoth

Kliphoth Member

i understand u talk of the graphics 'style' but on a similar note i thought it worth mentioning that they have stated they WILL push for playability over graphics, which i think is good, i want hundreds of players to play smoothly not a lag fest

11. Kliphoth

Kliphoth Member

update on one of the stretch goals!!! RvR dungeons and wow they sound fun fun!

12. Korbzy

Korbzy Member

Yea the TD sounds really interesting how human players can control the NPC boss to defend the Depths. This game is sounding better and better, finally a game that I can just pvp in!

13. Kliphoth

Kliphoth Member

Finally a game which has a promising crafting system, where we can customize our buildings and not always be building the same predetermined castle in a predetermined design, (but with some limitation IE Height lol)

minecraft style building in a RvR MMO go on!

14. undef

undef Member

Anyone else keeping an eye on this?

It's in Alpha and I think in August is Beta 1.

I will most likely before then throw some money at them and get in on the ground floor.

Currently playing ESO and while I like it a) it has problems which are not seeming to go away and b) I like alot of the concepts in this game (UC).

Topping that list is PvP IS the game and there is no gear grinding (weapons don't have stat boosts).

I always thought that gear should be a tool and no THE defining factor in a fight. The better player should win (you know your skills and how to use them) and not the guy that managed to get a piece of gear that boosts defense by +82634284 or has a proc where the ghost of a dragon pops out and pokes the other guy in the eye.

Also the crafting system. There is a crafter class (and I'm thinking I would probably even make that my first toon) with it's subclasses and building construction sounds great. Crafters make the best gear in the game. I always thought that is a great idea.

They have a target audience and if you like carebear games (almost all modern MMOs fall in this catergory) I doubt you will go for it. I really hope they manage to capture enough of an audience though, especially from our region.

15. XanaTos

XanaTos Member

Loved DAOC to death till TOA, so when mark was going to do another DAOC I jumped at the chance to get on board.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXCAQ9HSne8

Even though its in Alpha it still looks killer, not bad work for only 2 years and starting EVERYTHING from scratch.

Like in DAOC crafting was king as it should be since it was hard to lvl up, but once you got it max lvl it was so worth it.

Realm vs realm with castle/keep seige was the best I have ever played so im hoping more of the same and it sure looks that way

16. undef

undef Member

I never played DAOC, but I did play Warhammer, which I did enjoy and only quit because of IRL stuff.

I am waiting to see actual combat footage, in the design video from last year where Marc and Ben discuss it, they talking about 'slowing it down'. So I just want to see what that means.

The abilities building (for both magic and non-magic) system sounds like a lot of fun. So much customisation. I also tried to go through that list of banes & boons and it was so extensive. I can already tell that it will take me half a day to get through the character creation haha.

17. XanaTos

XanaTos Member

DAOC looks a lot like that Alpha on youtube with updated graphic, Warhammer was crap and was not the best and EA fault and why Mark left Mythic.

If you look on youtube for DAOC 8v8, you will see alot of them battles take a fair bit of time and tatics to win.

Banes and boons looks real good fun and can see a lot of people rerolling if they don't have respec options. They didn't have one in DAOC.

18. JamesGoblin

JamesGoblin Member

Speaking of "that alpha on youtube", models/textures/lightning/animations...all is more-less from 2013 (pre-pre...pre-alpha) and footage is from the late pre-alpha, revealed on the beginning of alpha.

Here is a couple hints at how the game should actually look, starting with the early iteration of new lightning, some more of the same and then:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]