Can I replace hdd with any ssd?

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by motion2082, Feb 20, 2017.

1. motion2082

motion2082 Member

Hey guys,

Have a 15" Macbook Pro Retina Late 2013

Does anyone know if the ssd can be replaced with any ssd?

Are these m.2 or msata?

2. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

It is neither standard msata or m2.

Apple made its own proprietary msata socket connectors in there macbooks (we are talking about Apple here) so you'll need to buy a Apple to msata adapter off ebay before you can plug and play any regular msata brand ssds in your laptop.

3. motion2082

motion2082 Member

Cheeky mofos

Not much space inside the MBP for an adapter.

Anyone else share there experience of the best combo to increase space to at least 500GB?

4. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

5. motion2082

motion2082 Member

I know right....actually thinking of abandoning this idea.

It came about when I was trying to play Civ6 on my Mac on the go. Running via Steam on Mac I'm finding the MBPr heats up very quickly. The fans go into overdrive and I fear this will shorten the life of this MBPr. Considering they're $3500 to replace now I really want to get a couple more years out of this one.

I thought about running Bootcamp or a Laptop Cooler but I don't think these retinas are designed for Video Editing or Gaming.

As this has always been a work laptop it's no big deal but still disappointing considering how expensive MBPr are these days.

6. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

In 2017, pretty much write off any idea of internal upgradability of Apple equipment.

If you can't plug it in via Thunderbolt/USB-C, then forget about it. Treat it like a disposable item. The masses wanted computers that were as simple as toasters, and they got them. That means all the same pros and cons too.

7. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

I still laugh at people who spend $300+ on a 16gb DDR3 SODIMM kit purchased from Apple when you can walk into your local pc store or favourite online retailer and buy a kit for almost 50% less in comparison, and it will still work.

8. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

If more people start doing that Apple will make a proprietary ram socket or just solder ram onboard.

9. General_Cartman

General_Cartman Member

They already do.