Canon A70 - Price Drop

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by nuxx, Nov 22, 2003.

1. nuxx

nuxx Member

It seems that the Canon PowerShot A70 has had a significant price drop just in the last week. I am basing this observation on the fact that previously I had not seen this model in stores in Melbourne or advertised in local junk mail for below $575. However, in Thursday's Green Guide supplement in The Age for 20th November, I saw it advertised in three different stores for under $500. The best of which was $475. :) After holding off for a while, needless to say I snapped up one from Dick Smith Powerhouse at Knox with a price match. I guess this is due in part to the release of the A80 mentioned in other thread(s).

For those particularly interested, the $475 price was at Centre Com, who have stores at Hawthorn, Sunshine, Elsternwick, Springvale and Bendigo. The Canon PowerShot A-Series Users Group Forums are very useful too.

Seeya,
    nuxx.

2. jamesbk

jamesbk Member

Thanks for alerting me to this - now that you have the camera, what are your initial impressions? Are there any sharpness issues such as those which were discussed in the users' forum?

Cheers,
    James

3. timmytimmytimmy

timmytimmytimmy Member

i recently acquired this in HK
    it cost me 501 bucks if u use an exchange rate of approx 5.5 which gave me the camera + canon stock 16 cf + 32 cf bonus + 256 sandisk cf

what really impresses me is the 640x480movie mode

4. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

hmm been umming and arring about getting a digicam for a year now. That seems like a good price. A bit more than i wanted to spend but it seems like a better camera.

Considering dicksmith won't charge me extra for using credit I think I may pick this baby up.

5. tntman

tntman Member

A friend of mine got it from HK for $410 inclusive of delivery a week ago.. :)

6. Kathleen

Kathleen (Banned or Deleted)

Overtaking, on a SE QLD freeway near you Regis
    Fair enough a price drop is great, but do they have stock yet? No point in dropping a price if you still can't supply them (and therefore not selling at that price)

7. AzonIc

AzonIc Member

Canon have had a real problem keeping stock of their newer digital camera's, but I think they are starting to be able to seriously supply A70's. A80's on the other hand, we're still waiting on.

8. Mad1

Mad1 Member

Dammit! I just bought an A70 2 weeks ago for $599. Just my luck.

Ah well I still consider the money worth it - it's a great camera. I love being able to adjust the shutter speed and aperture to experiment.

9. pkipper

pkipper Member

Electronic goods are still so expensive here in AUS. I purchased an A70 in Japan more than 2 months ago for only AUD$390. A bit upset thought, cos the A80 came out only 2 weeks after purchasing the A70.

10. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

I am almost 100% sure I am going to pick one of these up tomorrow after work :)

Pretty excited.

11. drj

drj Member

A70 !

Hi, first post (but have been a lurker for a while !). Thanks for putting me on to this - I went to Dick Smith's in Knox too, and the look on the dude's face when I showed him the Green Guide was priceless. Needless to say, got a great deal - but looking at the prices paid in Japan, it seems we get screwed for consumer electronics here even more than I thought :shock: :rolleyes:

Oh well, time to play with my new toy :D

12. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

Re: A70 !

Take some pictures will ya :)

I'm gonna head down to office works tomorrow with that ad. They have a lowest price garuntee thing so will see how I go.

Otherwise I drive down to Knox on Thursday :p

13. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

Well picked one up from Office works today. I took a screenshot of that website and took it down and the guy matched it no questions asked. Really good about it.

Kind of feel sorry for centre com. They advertise a camera for a shitload less than everywhere else then all of us without even considering shopping with them go to the bigger chains :). Ahh well. Office works took credit card :p

Anyway still have no idea how to use this thing. So many damn settings. But at least it isn't just point and click. So happy i picked this up instead of the Canon A300 I was so close to getting.

I just sent off a few pics I took to the BIGW printing place for 47 cents a print. Will be interesting to see how they come out :)

Now all I need are some good AA rechargables. Will drop into jaycar on thursday and pick some up. And then a 256mb memcard and I will be all set :)

A big thanks to Nuxx for putting as on to this deal.

Cheers mate.

14. pkipper

pkipper Member

That is cheap, how big is the print?

15. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

only 6" by 4" but just wanted to test it out.

6" * 4" is only 47 cents a print (you can even just get one print)

but anything bigger. Even slightly bigger goes up a fair bit the next size print is like $2.60 or something.

good service by the sounds of it though. check it out

http://www.bigw.com.au/Pages/online_photo_shop.asp

16. Frewy

Frewy Member

I get my prints from KODAK online Standard prints - 6" x 4" (10x15 cm) $0.80
    5" x 7" (13x18 cm) $4.95
    8" x 10" (20x25 cm) $7.95

Pick them up from Kmart when its 15% off store wide too:)

I belive Kodak laser scan then develop the print not just spray ink on paper.
    I refuse to own a printer and if you do the math its also a waste of money

Last edited: Dec 2, 2003
  17. z2177199

z2177199 Member

Just to let you Sydney guys know, the film/camera shop at Circular Quay train station develops 6"x4" for 30 cents each. They have the Fuji Frontier machine. And no, i dont work for them.

18. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

Thats exactly what I said to dad yesterday.

It's even cheaper than film if you consider when you get film developed there will always be at least a few shots that turn out like crap that you have to get developed. At least this way you only pick the shots you want.

Might try and get a list of online places and get 1 test print sent to all of them to see which ones are better quality.

19. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

reading this weeks green guide this morning and centre com have raised the price to $495.

20. Bishop

Bishop Member

I got some prints from Harvey Norman from my A60 and they turned out pretty good. Let us know if you do the comparison, i'd like to know where i should be getting my prints from.