Cleanup of OSX laptop

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by blankpaper, Jul 14, 2017.

1. blankpaper

blankpaper Member

I've gotta clean up a laptop, running OSX (not sure which version, can get it later if it's required). Just the usual malware running about, doing browser redirects, browser popups etc. Happens in both Safari and Chrome. As far as I'm aware no other issues with the laptop.

Can anyone recommend some cleanup software? Free would be ideal, I'm hoping it won't be a frequent request. No antivirus on the machine right now, not looking to install one if I can avoid it. On Windows I'd usually go straight for Malwarebytes or something, but I've never messed with OSX much to be honest.

Any tips appreciated.

2. Hater

Hater Member

Unload any browser extensions.

Go to the Applications folder, and drag any shit looking apps to the trash.

Empty trash.

CrApps are gone!

Go into Disk Utility and run a "Repair Permissions" on the boot drive once you're done.

No need for anti-virus, but if you really want, they do make Malwarebytes for Mac.

3. damo13579

damo13579 Member

malwarebytes for mac definitely should clear up the pop ups and redirects.

4. blankpaper

blankpaper Member

Ah dang it I should have checked malware bytes in the first place. Cheers, I'll give it a whirl and go from there.

Admins can delete thread if it's clogging the place up, not exactly a constructive discussion when it's started with a JFGI (just fucking Google it) question...:eek:

5. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Delete browser cache, saved cookies and history in both Safari and Chrome and in Chrome uninstall/delete all plugins and reset Chrome in advanced settings.

6. karnophage

karnophage Member

SOPHOS Home is pretty good and has a Mac version.