Cloning Win10 partition to SSD - not booting to Windows

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by OzJustin, Mar 4, 2017.

1. OzJustin

OzJustin Member

Hi all

Hopefully someone can sort me out and this is a quick fix.

I'm in the process of transferring a Windows 10 32bit partition to a Crucial SSD for my dad. Essentially I cloned the Win10 partition from an existing harddrive (WD 1tb) to a Crucial 250gb SSD using EaseUS Todo Backup. The cloned partition transferred fine and shows up as a drive with Win10 folders in Windows. After going into BIOS to set the boot order to the SSD first so I can boot into Win10 via the SSD I'm getting the error on startup 'Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in seleted Boot device and press a key'. I've tried disconnecting the old drive and just using the SSD to no avail.

I've followed this tutorial to the letter:
    https://www.howtogeek.com/97242/how-to-migrate-windows-7-to-a-solid-state-drive/

Is there a problem with the boot sector etc and any ideas on how to fix so I can boot successfully from the SSD?

Screenshot of BIOS showing all drives recognised:
    [​IMG]

Screenshot of disk management - anything look odd here?
    [​IMG]

2. Beanz

Beanz Member

Make sure you have AHCI mode set in BIOS.

3. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

Last time I tried Easeus or even bundled manufacturer Acronis, it didn't work, but full version did. I'm guessing something broke the older versions in a more recent update.

4. OzJustin

OzJustin Member

It's quite an old PC. When I looked yesterday I could see no settings related to AHCI.

Do you have any recommendations for freeware software? So you think the cloning process didn't set something correctly on the SSD?

Any other ideas to try?

5. O-B-E-L-I-X

O-B-E-L-I-X Member

If the Windows were originally installed in IDE mode then you need to boot in IDE mode. If in AHCI, then you should be able to boot in IDE or AHCI.
    SATA AHCI mode setting should be in the Advanced menu.

Most likely, the problem is that you need to clone the drive (not just partition) with the Boot sector and shrink/adjust it to the smaller SSD. The cloning/imaging software should be able to do that. Of course, the contents of the 1TB drive need to be less than the capacity of the SSD.

It is advisable to have the SSD connected to the Intel SATA port and have the AHCI enabled. A very simple registry "hack" to enable AHCI drive in case windows were installed in the IDE mode... http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=313676

6. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

I use Easeus Todo Backup 9.2 free edition and have had no problems cloning partitions.

If you're cloning partitions with an OS on it, you need to ensure the sector by sector recovery option is ticked otherwise you will get the issue you're getting now as the sectors that store the boot sector information is scrambled and becomes unrecognizable as a bootable drive with an OS on it.

Another option is using dd via a Linux install, time consuming but 99.99% accurate with cloning partitions from drive to drive.

7. i7Baby

i7Baby Member

AHCI usually increases disk read and write speeds. But if you are only using sata 2.0 then you won't notice the speed increase anyway. Also your SSD would be limited in speed.

8. imajican

imajican Member

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  9. OzJustin

OzJustin Member

I just checked the BIOS thoroughly and IDE mode is the only option. AHCI is not an option. The pc and motherboard is over 10 years old.

I just cloned via EaseUS Todo again and made sure to tick the 'sector by sector' option. Tried rebooting with the SSD as the boot disk and still getting the same error.

Just tried a fresh partition clone with your recommended program and still getting the same boot error unfortunately.

The one suggestion I haven't tried is cloning the whole 1tb drive to our SSD. I'll have to screw around with the disk sizes but can give it a go. I still feel like it's a boot sector issue but not sure how to fix/copy during the clone...

10. O-B-E-L-I-X

O-B-E-L-I-X Member

Maybe try this: https://www.paragon-software.com/home/br-free/

If you have WD HDD you can also try this: http://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=119

There might be an option to select the OS partition and the boot sector...

Which M/B is this?

EDIT: Had a closer look at your photo, seems you're not cloning the System Reserved partition, I think this is where the boot sector might be... Also, you have 100GB of unallocated space on the SSD, if you follow that tutorial you should be able to expand the windows partition or create a new one.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  11. isaakk

isaakk Member

I've used EaseUS and spent a silly amount of time trying to address issues when I migrated from smaller SSDs or HDDs to a new SSD. In the end I got sick of it all and just bought Paragon Migrate and it's been flawless, so can vouch for that.

I'm sure there's a way to do it properly and get it working for free, but for the $20-odd I paid, I reckon i've certainly got a enough use out of it and saved enough time to make it worth it.

12. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Last time I used Paragon Migrate the migration process fucked up 3 times on 2 separate machines which resulted in my hard drives having bad sectors.

13. warhead

warhead Member

That seems rather unlikely. File corruption maybe, but not bad sectors.
    More plausible explanation is that the drives had unmarked bad sectors beforehand which caused Paragon to fail.

14. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Nope, first example; hard drive was a Samsung 750gb, brand new and needed to clone a 250gb with windows 7 partition over to it.

Paragon restarts PC and goes to the preparation and cloning process just before it boots into the actual windows desktop environment and it gets little over half way and it pops up with a stop responding message and prompts me to restart the PC. PC restarts and I boot back into the windows 7 explorer desktop and the 750gb hdd shows 3 fragmented partitions, 1x250gb, 1x120mb for reserved and the remainder chunk and all partitions marked as raw. Open CrystalDiskInfo and shows some bad sectors have occurred and the status marked with caution.

Still have the Samsung in use to this day with no growth in bad sectors and still marked with a caution status in CrystalDiskInfo.

From memory it might've not been Paragon Migrate may have been an older version of Partition Manager but I since the 3 incidents I've had with it on separate machines I stopped using anything Paragons except Paragon backup which is decent for what it does.

15. tree86ers

tree86ers Member

if it is windows 10 it may be worth while doing a fresh install on the SSD. Win 10 should be bound to the HW so it should register by its self once on internet.

also the bios settings, if this was a motherboard before AHCI was an option, an old tech friend told me RAID setting usually had AHCI built in (before it was an option) and that it would give the same results.

now if that works and the CPU is 64bit you should be able to update to 64bit win 10 with no issues. it would just be a fresh setup.
    you may be able to do a backup as such in the old win 10 install to get the basic settings if you wanted to.

16. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

I'm actually interested in what motherboard is given the OP defines it as "old". I have had motherboards from circa 2005'ish that offers the ability to adjust between IDE, RAID and AHCI. Either its some very old board or an OEM system board.

17. OzJustin

OzJustin Member

Thanks for the suggestions all. Had another play with the PC tonight and finally got it booting off the SSD.

I ended up having to copy and delete the extra partitions from the original drive and then I was able to copy the entire drive (including the small boot sector partition) across to the new SSD. Following that the SSD booted fine and I re-partitioned the original drive and copied the content back. I ended up sticking with EaseUS ToDo for the drive clone for anyone interested.

For those asking, the motherboard is probable pre 2005 (sorry I didn't record the model number) and we're running 32bit.

Thanks again