Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. disguisey

disguisey Member

Been Eyeing off that course as well. About Half the price than the TAFE in the city is offering for the course.

2. Luke212

Luke212 Member

maybe they mean 5 year SLA turnaround time.

3. chip

chip Member

interesting. I tried enrolling in some optic fibre courses at a Central TAFE, and they lost my application twice. Seems like getting students enrolled isn't much of a priority for Perth TAFEs

4. mr_death44

mr_death44 Member

At least it's not midland... that tafe was terrible!

5. freaky_beeky

freaky_beeky Member

Thanks for the links, very interesting articles. I think my personal philosophy is staving off the predicted/inevitable end that both these articles reference, however this certainly brings into question how much longer that may be the case and emphasises the need for change. :thumbup:

6. Dre_

Dre_ Member

In a Microsoft run Azure training session in Sydney.
    So much misinformation, so much skimping over important stuff.

7. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Familiar feels.

8. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

cloud first, mobile first.

9. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Can I put my mobile in the cloud?

10. Luke212

Luke212 Member

my statement the other day that teachers are useless.

why would anyone need to go to azure training? the info is out there. self learn ftw.

(no comment on you specifically! just generally)

11. Gunna

Gunna Member

People learn in different ways. Some like to be able to get clarification on a topic straight away and ask follow up questions. Reading and learning are 2 different things. Just because I read something doesn't always mean I retain the information, especially if i'm 50 pages into a training book whose content is as dry as the Sahara. I'm a much better student if I can visualise the steps taken.

12. Foliage

Foliage Member

I agree. Just get a free account and start playing, best way to learn imo.

13. Dre_

Dre_ Member

Required to be able to deliver the courses next quarter.

14. Luke212

Luke212 Member

a teacher can be useful for mentioning common traps and so on. but online guides do tend to bring up things like best practices anyway, at least ones from MS and Amazon.

i am curious if linux is as transparent in its online guides? this is one area having commercial backing might help to get that sort of information out there. when i try and work with linux it is very much blog based. which is frustrating for me. there might be info out there but hard for me to find on the quality level of MS.

15. Foliage

Foliage Member

Pay for redhat. I imagine it would be similar to Microsoft in terms of response and help.

The saying of you get what you pay for is almost always true when getting help for software. Free support is hit and miss unless you know where to look and have it half figured out already.

16. Luke212

Luke212 Member

i dont ask MS for help though. i just look up the info for free. does buying redhat grant me access to a secret repository of info, or are you suggesting i have to pay a redhat teacher?

17. Foliage

Foliage Member

That is what MSDN is for. MS paid support is excellent. You'd hope so as well when it costs $10k a year. You don't pay a redhat teacher you get a corporate support contract instead... just like MS or any other large software company. You submit a support request and someone gives you the answer.

If you are reading man pages, stackoverflow and general free information it is all there but you have to find it. With paid support you go can "here is my problem that I've done literally zero research to find the answer and here is no background information, please tell me exactly what to do" and you get an answer.

I pay for devexpress support for example, its $1200 a year and I literally go "I can't make this work and I've made zero attempt to figure it out" and someone sends me a custom hand written visual studio example and links all the wiki pages for me with a 24 hour turn around. The alternative is I spend 1-2 days finding the wiki pages, trying things out, reading stack overflow. I end up with the same result but it takes 2-3x as long.

It's a massive time saver as they know where it all is off the top of their head. I've made about 20 requests in the last 4 months. At my equivalent hourly rate it has paid for itself several times over. I've learnt just as much as I still have to understand and implement their code I just don't waste time spinning my wheels finding the right information.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  18. disguisey

disguisey Member

Heard pretty good things about Thornlie Tafe, its now the deciding between doing CCNA or doing a bachelors degree part time.

19. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

e-tech in fremantle is very good too.
    at least it was when i went there some years ago.

they used to use MOC and CCNA as the basis of their courses and they had an official testing centre so you could do your exam on site as well.

presumably it's still the same.

20. mooboyj

mooboyj Member

Finally got the forms from Thornlie TAFE. Won't be starting the course tonight:tongue: At least they were super helpful and actually answered my questions!