CPU water block problem - wide temperature range

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by SiriusDragon, Mar 20, 2017.

1. SiriusDragon

SiriusDragon Member

Hey all... having an odd problem with CPU temps...

Click to view full size!

See those CPU temp variations?

One core goes as low as -8 minimum, meanwhile the maximums are a ~10 degree lower difference between the other cores.

The block is a full nickel EK Supremacy (not EVO or MX), and I get a heap of condensation on it so the water that's going into it must be pretty cold.

Could it be a bad mount? Bad thermal paste? I'm using MX-2 but I've read Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut works well at sub-zero/low temps.

Any advice? :paranoid:

2. leithals

leithals Member

I think the temp reading off that core is faulty. A bad seat would not give reading like this. The other threads are pretty comparable with just one being vastly cooler, thus my opinion.

3. SiriusDragon

SiriusDragon Member

That's awkward then... I guess I can offset the temperature for that core in RealTemp or whatever so I'll do that.

I'm going to get some Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut and also remount the block too.

4. SiriusDragon

SiriusDragon Member

Fricking aaaaargh :mad:

I realised what the issue is, it's the Nulon anti-freeze I added. It's gunking up the micro channels and stuff in all the blocks :(

So I'll have to flush everything and go back to distilled and use plain glycol as anti-freeze.

5. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Don't use normal Ethylene Glycol - you'll run into viscosity issues. Been there, done that. Pumps have to work harder, flow rates go down, loop gets noisier for worse temps.

Just run DI and a bit of biocide. Or remix your coolant weaker?

6. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

I had gunk in my blocks too and I used distilled water, do you have clear hoses? Apparently clear hoses give off residue that builds up, only ways around it are either flushes or black zero maintenance hose.

:thumbup:

7. Annihilator69

Annihilator69 Member

What are you doing to your loop to get lower than ambient?. :shock:

Yes, car coolant I've ran into issues in the past with it blocking micro channels, especially if it is a strong mix.

I just run pure Deironised water with no silver etc (but I try to keep to only copper/brass loop, no other mixed metals) and I've never had an issue for the last 10 years.

8. SiriusDragon

SiriusDragon Member

Are there any other anti freeze options? If I run plain distilled it'll freeze in the chiller :paranoid:

I wasn't going to use just glycol, I'd be mixing it with about 50L of distilled water so I was thinking maybe 1L of glycol would be enough to lower the freezing temp by a decent amount?

Also I'm using an Iwaki RD-30 and an Eheim 1262 as my pumps, so they should be able to cope with whatever I use.

9. SiriusDragon

SiriusDragon Member

Non-clear tubes. I shouldn't have blockage issues with the distilled, I think I just mixed in too much Nulon :(

Using a Hailea HC-1000A water chiller :)

And yeah... I probably mixed in too much Nulon :(

10. Annihilator69

Annihilator69 Member

11. Annihilator69

Annihilator69 Member

I remember that around 10 years ago, everyone was recommending "Clearflex" or similar at the time, after a period of time there was a build up of sticky white powder in the tubing.

Since then I've gone to a nice dark blue see through still, tubing and even after 5 years it's still mint inside. Can't remember the brand.

12. SiriusDragon

SiriusDragon Member

Yup, that's the sorta stuff I need. Not sure where to start looking for it though, maybe chemists? Or hardware stores? :confused:

Worst case I could order it from Amazon but that seems overkill...