Creative Sound Blaster Z any good?

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by bobster, Dec 30, 2013.

1. bobster

bobster Member

Hiya,

I want a sound card and the Asus Zonar STX is a bit pricey and the DX may not be the right card for me.

Anyone tried the Creative Sound Blaster Z, I know the last gen of these cards had a lot of issues but are these better?

Cheers

Bob

2. Acesi7

Acesi7 Member

Have a read through this thread.

Some pretty experienced Audiophiles and Sound Card enthusiasts compare it to most models out there...

[Review] Sound Blaster Z Review

3. bobster

bobster Member

4. Schumi275

Schumi275 Member

Nice pick up :thumbup:. I have been running the ZX for close to a year now and cannot fault it. I just run a set of Sennheiser Momentums even for gaming and sound quality is impressive for me. The remote mic works very well if mp games are your thing. I have the mic almost a metre away from me and can still have it setup to eliminate all the background noise of my pc and TV whilst picking up just my voice very clear. Hopefully your as happy with your purchase as I was with mine. :D.

5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

When Creative software works they work well....but I tell ya what, my next card probably won't be creative at this rate. Getting tired of just little software issues time and time again. Although I think I might have said the same thing a few creative card purchases ago :paranoid:

6. bobster

bobster Member

Problem is ASUS Xonars suffer from software issues as well although modern beefed up ALC 1150 like asrocks Pure Audio and the latest Supreme FX do a decent job now but I wanna know if a proper soundcards beats them haha

7. bobster

bobster Member

Review

Hiya

Quick review of my Sounblaster Zx.

Great card with amazing improvement in sound quality.
    I have had ALC892, ALC1150, ASUS ROG VI Gene and Impact with Supreme FX and Xonar DG. This card beats them all, you can hear way more frequencies and the bass is awesome and more in game effects.

Personally I would only go for the Zx if you use headphones its completely wasted haveing the volume control feature for Speaker. If you only use speakers go for the Z.

8. Apocalypse

Apocalypse Member

I've got the ZxR. I use both speakers/headphones for movies & music/games. Haven't really noticed much difference except in bass going from onboard sound to the ZxR with Logitech z506 speakers but have seen a noticeable difference with my Razor headphones. I have started getting issues though where it randomly reassigns the 5.1 speakers to different positions, ie: front left becomes rear right, etc. It's only ever happened with this sound card.

I read somewhere that the previous generation cards had hardware decoding. So you could have connected something like a PS3 to run blurays through to your PC but this card doesn't have it. So when you plug in a PS3 it just makes a sort of static sound.

9. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

I have highlighted the reason why you aren't hearing any improvements.

10. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

I think I read somewhere that the headphone output on the ACM is next to useless as it doesn't use the good headphone amp on the card. Have to plug headphones directly into headphone out on the card for the full benefit.

This the case? Or am I totally wrong?

11. Schumi275

Schumi275 Member

The ACM plugs directly into the headphone (and mic) output jacks on the sound card and is analogue cables so I am not sure that sounds right. I have been running my Sennheiser Momentums through the ACM and they sound great.

I am no audiophile but if it didn't use the sound card amp how would it power my headphones?

12. Chamelion

Chamelion Member

I'm so sick of creative software and drivers being tits on a bull useless that I'm for the first time in a decade moving to another brand.

AUS STX this time...

13. onggie

onggie Member

I had a Z and it shit me up the wall that there was no Linux support. The control software took 15seconds to open. I had the realisation that Creative can go die. I went and bought a Xonar DX. I use the UniDrivers for Windows and the card works out of the box on OpenSuse. Will never buy a Creative product again.

14. lithos

lithos Member

Drives my 250-ohm Beyers at full balls-to-the-wall. No difference to plugging them straight into the card.

I like you.

15. Mau1wurf1977

Mau1wurf1977 (Banned or Deleted)

I haven't had driver issues with Creative Cards since the Sound Blaster 1.5 :D

Sometimes they simply do not support your OS, but other companies like Canon do the same thing.

The W7 64x driver disc and web drivers for 8.0 worked beautifully on my Titanium HD under 8.1.

16. lithos

lithos Member

I think a lot of people think that a sound card's drivers should have about the same level of functionality (and thus stability and resource-usage) as, say, their USB drivers.

17. FiShy

FiShy Member

Why shouldnt they be?

Most other drivers have matured to the point of working out of the box and you simply just install software to get more out of them.

18. bobster

bobster Member

The Zx provided really good sound quality but not without a cost tho.

Driver can be an issue but I haven'd had too many problems.

Only thing that annoyed me was the bright red light, the little pop you hear when PC shuts down and when you change audio quickly like tracks on iTunes it has a slit second of delay.

Upgraded ALC1150 (MSI Audio Boost, ASUS Supreme FX and ASROCK Purity Sound) offer 80% of the sound quality without any of the above.

I'm keep to try the Audio Engine A2+ now with the built in DAC's

19. Mau1wurf1977

Mau1wurf1977 (Banned or Deleted)

Yea the LED is a bit silly. I put tape on it :)

The surround gaming over headphones works really well and that was one of the main features I was looking for.

But I admit that I haven't tested other products in this regards, and probably never will because I'm not going to buy a bunch of sound cards to find out.

Realtek chips onboard are fine these days. The loudness correction tick box is a godsend and works really well for media TV.

Are there cards with this Realtek chip you can buy off the shelf, or do they always come with motherboards?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  20. bobster

bobster Member