Dell XPS13 Ultrabook

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by Lukenet, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Lukenet

Lukenet Member

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  2. Soarer GT

Soarer GT Member

I was thinking about ordering one, however the lack of a 1gigE nic is holding me back and apparently it's battery life isnt as good as the other ultrabooks.

The dell account rep said I could use a Targus USB3 dock (dual video, sound and NIC for $200 ) but no one could advise on the actual speed of the NIC. Might decide to live on a 10/100 if you ever get it.

3. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

usb3>gbe was released earlier this year by asix so hopefully we start seeing some stuff soon. i too am after a usb3 gig nic too :p

4. Mad Mike

Mad Mike Member

I got mine today. I have only played with it for a little while. So far I have just been doing updates and left it on for about 3hrs and the battery level says about 65%. More testing is needed before I can say what battery life will be like while actually doing work. As for the Gigabit connection, I got the shits with the dell rep when she could not tell me when they will be available in oz, so I got one from eBay for about 7 bucks. I installed it no problems and was automatically recognized as a Gigabit adapter. So far it seems to work well. Again know idea about speed as I was just doing system updates.
    So far though the speed seems really good, and the build quality feels excellent. I will get more of a play with it over the next few days.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  5. Lukenet

Lukenet Member

What is your impressions of the screen?

6. Mad Mike

Mad Mike Member

Firstly I would like to say that I have it for less then 24hrs, so all impressions are just that. I like the screen. For me its seems great, its bright and clear. Viewing angles for me are good. It does get washed out quickly on the vertical axis though. Reading the forums and MS word are great. I watched some 720 videos and they looked good, though it did take alittle bit to find the sweet spot of the angle of the screen, so the video did not get washed out.

Anybody think of getting a XPS13 should read this thread at the notebook review. It has some good stuff in it. Especially about driver/firmware updates.

7. Diode

Diode Member

I've been checking out ultrabooks today (just on the net) and the Dell looks really good. The only thing that's stopping me is the display. It seems that it's a little low res by today's standards. Once Apple retina everything in their product line I can only imagine Dell and everyone else are going to have to follow. Maybe I'm being too picky. So I'm going to have to check out a 13" Ultrabook with the same res screen in a store and see what I think.
    The design of the unit is really nice, I like the carbon fibre base and you can get a 256GB SSD. It would be nice to have a bit more than 4GB RAM, but realistically it would be enough for what it would be used for.

I'm really not sure if I should wait a little longer and wait for more netbooks to surface or to just take a dive. I guess I'm in no rush to get one.

:confused:

8. Prosthetic

Prosthetic (Banned or Deleted)

all ultrabooks are that size res (136x768)

9. Nafe

Nafe Member

Asus have 1600x900 in a 13"

10. Diode

Diode Member

Yeah Just checking that out.

The one thing I've just realised was I thought these ultrabooks were the first of the 3rd gen Ivy Bridge based CPU's. It seems I was wrong and they are all 2nd Gen. Release for i7 being the 29th April and June for i5.
    Looks like I will hold out until the new i5's are out. Hopefully by then it will give Dell, Asus and Apple etc time to come out with new laptops based on these.

I am a little interested to find out what using OSX is like. Especially for the whole gesture based stuff on a laptop.

I'm thinking how much should I vest into the ultrabook. I've never really had a laptop other than a netbook which isn't too useful with the low end atom. I've very much been a desktop man, I like raw power and I don't mind having a dedicated place in the home to use a computer. However maybe it's time to rethink. Maybe I need to make a laptop my primary desk machine and move the desktop into the realm of media-server/server and PC gaming on a large screen TV.

11. andyroo54

andyroo54 Member

I really like where these ultrabooks are going, once I can get one with a real i5 and gig port and a matte screen +dockable then I'll get one. Make more sense than a tablet for work/play.

Theres no denying macbooks have a very nice/slim design/lightweight, and if I could get one that officially supported win 7 I'd buy it, but OSX is just a headache.

So I don't even care if these companies are 'copying' the macbook air design, it's a bloody good design!

I really looked hard at this Dell ultrabook but in the end until they have the above then I won't be getting one..

12. Prosthetic

Theres a couple out with gigabit and matte screen, HP i believe does one.

13. andyroo54

andyroo54 Member

Sorry I mean from Dell.

14. Diode

Diode Member

The HP Folio really is a business Ultrabook. Designed and built by an engineer. It pretty much has everything you would need in an ultrabook for the work place. Besides its ugliness, the 128 SSD option stopped me. I was hoping for 256 SSD option.

Other than that it has the longest battery life of them all, HP are throwing in a pair of Beats headphones for free if you buy it now. But even that doesn't tempt me as I know beats are just overpriced junk.

I'm thinking about getting a great set of cans with the ultrabook.

15. Digit

Digit Member

Hey All,

My girlfriend is looking at buying this tonight, but she needs ethernet (not necessarily gigabit), would a normal ethernet to usb do the trick? Or are there specific ones to look out for or stay away from such as the Apple one?

Also keen to here any alternative suggestions, i quite like the xps 14, but it's not an ultabook so..

Also, worth waiting for ivybridge?

16. Mad Mike

Mad Mike Member

you will be able to pick up a usb abdaptor on ebay for about 5-7 bucks.

17. Prosthetic

Dont the dell ones come with a USB to 10/100 adaptor already? i know some other models do.

18. Mad Mike

Mad Mike Member

No, its an extra and an expensive one at that.