Desk Build. First build in a long time!

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by EssentialDesign, Jan 9, 2017.

1. EssentialDesign

EssentialDesign Member

Hey everyone my name's Drew I have done a few builds on OCAU got on the front page once with my, "Clear Ivory" build

So coming back into modding is gonna be a lot of fun and I hope I can impress a bunch of you guys!

The plan for these desk is to try to make it my own and make something that hasn't been made before. So I have angled the outer edges of the cases where I'll be mounting the radiators and fans with an intrekit designed loop.

One side of the case will have the motherboard, Graphics Card and the power supply. The center will have the RES's plus a creative little design with the water loop. The other side of the case will have a screen inside might make as a touch panel but not sure. This screen will display computer statistics as well as any sponsors* who decide to jump on board.​

*If you would like to jump on board with this build. It would definitely be appreciated. You can contact me at my email: ML777D@gmail.com

So I first thought I would create the desk out of aluminium although I felt MDF would be a much better option as it's cheapee easier to work with and have a very nice finish to it already.​

A huge thankyou to Gigabyte Technology for sending out an z270 Aorus Gaming 5 Motherboard!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    Drew
    www.facebook.com/hextechmods

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  2. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

FTFY

[​IMG]
    Cut up the MDF
    [​IMG]

Taking shape
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. EssentialDesign

EssentialDesign Member

Thank You to Gigabyte Australia for helping support the build. Sending out a board that is still in discussion.

[​IMG]

Also going to be using my Gigabyte 980Ti Card. A little bit old but i think its still a very capable card!

[​IMG]

So depending on the board i get ill either be using a i7 7700k or a i7 6700k. Both very similar performing chips so keen on the upgrade.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  4. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Yeh mate, your pics are not showing up.

You're putting in (added _ to start and end for training reasons)
    [_URL=http://imgur.com/OCDAlHa]image[/URL_]

You need to use (without the "_"). So you need to get the URL, press the little Picture at the top (with the mountain and sun) and paste it in and add .jpg to the end of the URL.
    [_IMG]http://imgur.com/OCDAlHa.jpg[/IMG_]

5. EssentialDesign

EssentialDesign Member

Ill be posting here mostly for this build log. Although my mate Shane is also doing a build which you can follow on Facebook here

[​IMG]

6. EssentialDesign

EssentialDesign Member

Was hoping to start cutting everything today but found out my jigsaw is bent so I'll wait till Saturday where I'll grab a circular saw to get these cuts done properly!
    [​IMG]

7. EssentialDesign

EssentialDesign Member

Alright so tomorrow ill be cutting the desk sanding it down and trying to get it all together.

Although I still need to figure out a couple of things. The first being trying to find a company who sells a i/o plate to mount the motherboard against.

http://www.overclock.net/content/type/61/id/1635774/width/500/height/1000/flags/LL.jpg

The second being a PCIE extender, which im thinking about purchasing from Thermaltake once they release what they displayed at CES. Picture thanks to GGF

[​IMG]

And the final being what CPU to use, I have been looking through forums all through out the interwebs and yet I havent found a conclusive answer to whether the i7 6700K will work on a Z270 Motherboard. When you think about it, the cpu should work on the newer model board as it has the same chipset although a slightly lower core base. WOuld anybody here know?

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    Drew

OCAU ADMIN ACTION FORM
    Action taken by: Ma Baker

This form details the modifications made to this thread or post.

Action Taken: Post edited, IMG Tags removed.
    Reason for Action: You are not allowed to link images if you're not hosting them yourself or using a hosting service. If you do own the hosting can you please leave a note saying so when you link an image so that we know it's ok to be linked.
    Other Information: Please read this thread which will explain the no linking images rule.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2017
  8. EssentialDesign

EssentialDesign Member

Alrighty so today I have been able to get some parts cut and about to start biscuiting everything together.
    Should be fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. EssentialDesign

EssentialDesign Member

Alright so I thought a few days ago that I was going into Umart to buy an i7 7700k but after all consideration I bought an i5 7600k as I have read into its overclockable capabilities.
    So this is what I came home with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. EssentialDesign

EssentialDesign Member

So bit by bit it's coming together have just put the bottom of the desk in just need a sand down and the side panels then she should be alright to get primed and painted.

I wanted to paint the desk a gun metal colour but I want other opinions?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. drahsrebu

drahsrebu Member

She's coming along nicely. Colour wise, I would go with something that will complement the colour of your components.
    Just make sure you prime that MDF, it likes to drink the paint, particularly on the exposed edges.
    Looking forward to seeing the end results !!! :D

P.S
    You've made me make my first post ;)

12. EssentialDesign

EssentialDesign Member

It's my pleasure having your comment :)
    Yeah plan is to sand it down do a couple coats of primer then paint it!

13. EssentialDesign

EssentialDesign Member

So today I got in contact with Crucial Memory who have agreed to send me out some Ballistix 4 x 4gb sticks of DDR4 RAM. Which is awesome and so thankful for. Thanks to Crucial Memory for sponsoring this build!

http://cdn.cplonline.com.au/media/c...25d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/r/a/ram-dd4-16g26af.jpg

OCAU ADMIN ACTION FORM
    Action taken by: Ma Baker

This form details the modifications made to this thread or post.

Action Taken: Post edited, IMG Tags removed.
    Reason for Action: You are not allowed to link images if you're not hosting them yourself or using a hosting service. If you do own the hosting can you please leave a note saying so when you link an image so that we know it's ok to be linked.
    Other Information: Please read this thread which will explain the no linking images rule.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2017
  14. EssentialDesign

EssentialDesign Member

Hey all, I have finally got to the point where the desk is all biscuit'd together and feeling strong. Time to sand it down make it look neat!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. EssentialDesign

EssentialDesign Member

So this is the motherboard tray, made out of White 6mm Plexiglass. The components sit on clear pieces and the plan is to run leds underneth it so you get a nice led glow.
    Got a bit of fixing up to do but i fell like its coming along nicely :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. emmjawsX

emmjawsX Member

nice job on the mobo tray, looking forward to seeing how it turns out

17. Defyant

Defyant Member

Looking good so far :thumbup:

18. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Good to see the Crucial Ballistix RAM fitted already :thumbup:

19. EssentialDesign

EssentialDesign Member

Thankyou for all the criticism. Like to hear everybody's feedback

Also update I have received my 4x4GB of Crucial Ballistix RAM. Big thanks to crucial for sending it out to me. Without them I wouldn't have been able to afford this build, so thankyou :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. havabeer

havabeer Member

Slightly off topic but how does the process go of getting products off mobs? Did you just email crucial and say that your doing a build will you sponsor it, and what happens to the ram once your done? Yours free to keep, do you sell it on, do you have to send it back??

Just curious