Distant PC - Remote Control PC Starter

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by Fouler, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Fouler

Fouler Member

Hi - not sure where to put this topic, but here looks to be the closest match...

I'm planning to move my PC box to a high shelf in a built-in wardrobe about 3m from where I sit. Cable lengths will be about 5-6m for things like monitors and a USB hub with an external optical drive etc., in order to keep things tidy.

But rather than have a step ladder to turn the PC on or reset it, can anyone suggest a remote control device to turn the PC on?

The only thing I've found so far is this:

Logisys PC Remote Start / Reset Controller (RMPC2)

http://www.frozencpu.com/images/products/main/bus-317.jpg

Doesn't seem to be available in Australia (except by freight forwarders who charge a premium) so would be prepared to get it from the US direct myself.

Any other suggestions would be more than welcome :cool:

OCAU ADMIN ACTION FORM
    Action taken by: Ma Baker

This form details the modifications made to this thread or post.

Action Taken: Post edited, IMG Tags removed.
    Reason for Action: You are not allowed to link images if you're not hosting them yourself or using a hosting service. If you do own the hosting can you please leave a note saying so when you link an image so that we know it's ok to be linked.
    Other Information: Please read this thread which will explain the no linking images rule.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2016
  2. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

How about set the mouse or keyboard to "Wake from Sleep" then just allow the PC to go to sleep when not in use?

Make sure you have some airflow in the cupboard to ensure the PC can cool sufficiently.

3. Plax

Plax Member

As per above,

Just use sleep mode and, if you want to be anymore aggressive with power savings use Hybrid Sleep and Hibernate.

4. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

hava chat with member Jonbanez, I think he used to use a setup like that;)

5. Gnatty

Gnatty Member

I used to use Wake on Lan for a server in a closet. When shutdown the motherboard waits for a 'magic packet' on the LAN port to turn on the computer.. you can send it from another computer or phone. Pretty sure that Unified Remote supports WoL, and you can use the remote screen viewer etc as well which is very handy.

6. Eisenhorn

Eisenhorn Member

Is it too much of a pain to wire up some dual core wire with a switch running to the motherboard power switch header?and running that cable with your others and leaving the switch on your table? U can pick up a basic pc power switch for less than a dollar and just some wire to extend it.

7. sanousie

sanousie Member

I've got almost the same setup, I just use one of those cheap wireless mouse/keyboard mini combo's which go for about 20-30 dollars.

Enabled Sleep/wake modes and its simple as taping a key on the mini keyboard to turn on the pc, but if it freezes, you'd have to manually reset it, which will be abit of hassle.

Best of luck bud, cheers.

8. isaakk

isaakk Member

Grab some cheap dual core wire, a small momentary push button switch and some of these and these to make a long extended switch to the motherboard headers (just run the wire next to the others).

Or use sleep/wake as suggested above?

9. callan

callan Member

You may be able to do something with ONE OF THESE remote control power switches.

Depending on how your BIOS is configured for behaviour on power loss, they might just do the job (change power-on behavior). Experiment first, though.

I use a ton of these all over the house, and they're bloody awesome.

Callan

10. power

power Member

I use unified remote and wol works very well when I'm feeling lazy. Added bonus it sends shutdown or reboot commands too.

11. sanousie

sanousie Member

Yep same here, everyone should be using these to save electricity, easy way to turn off electrical items wiht out the hassle of fumbling for a switch (great for items that are on standby)

Cheers.

12. X-ZemPt

X-ZemPt Member

This :thumbup:
    Why do it the expensive & lazy way when you can do it cheap and properly ;)

13. power

power Member

Some of you guys are cavemen - who the hell would run cabling and install a power switch when all you need to do is

a) enable WOL in your BIOS.
    b) install unified remote on your machine https://www.unifiedremote.com/download
    c) grab the unified remote app and install it. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Relmtech.Remote&hl=en

Then when you want to wake the machine you open the app on your phone/tablet that is also connected to your network over wifi and hit the WOL button. tada, machine awake. You can do this wherever you are as long as you are on your network. ie sitting on your couch because you are lazy. Alternatively to wake it just run a basic script from another PC.

added bonus, enable WOL and install unified remote to any PC in your house and you can wake, shutdown or restart them as well.

then enable rdp on the machine instead of running a screen/kb and mouse off of it as well.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  14. X-ZemPt

X-ZemPt Member

Decent solution for a headless machine, but I believe he still wants to use the monitor/kb/mouse. So he is already running cables for those, just wants to hide the box. So 1 extra cable for power switch isn't really a 'caveman' tactic. :thumbup:

15. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

Hi Fouler

Heres a couple of pics of the remote starter kit from member “Jonbanez”

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

If it’s what you need & of any use to you
    just pay postage from 2325 & a Thankyou to Jonbanez:thumbup:

16. power

power Member

eh, fair enough - I think I've misread the usage case. Someone hides a PC I immediately think headless, if it's what you are describing I like the remote sleep/wake kb options some mentioned.

17. Fouler

Fouler Member

Been a lot of good tips here and appreciate them all - thx!

The remote sleep function is pretty simple and inexpensive but I've got a couple of kids under 10 and they are always in my pc room when I'm at work and mucking around on the desk, so they'd possibly be turning it on from time to time.

Liked the idea of running dual core wire to a switch under one of my monitors. Looked at a mini-ITX case that could house the new BD drive I have and rigging up a USB hub inside. Then put the dual core wire into this mini-ITX case's power button.

But I must say the Jonbanez solution looks like what I had in mind at the start. And what's more it is Aussie made - can't say that about too much IT these days... So yes a big thank you to Jonbanez and to you mad_mic3. Will send you a PM about it. If it doesn't work out as I hope I can put it back up here for another ocau'er.

On another note the project will be requiring some ventilation in the cupboard. Some time ago I'd eyed a cheap low power (<30W) extraction fan in Bunnings and some insulated ducting to rig up to a nearby whirlybird on the roof.

Also contemplating watercooling for cpu and gpu... but hey one step at a time...

18. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

This is what I did. Worked a treat. I used 6 pins of a 7 pin DIN plug to run PWR and HDD LED's, and a power switch, from the desk. Remote powered USB hub, and the hub takes bluetooth, mouse and keyboard, USB DVD, flash drives etc. Never need access to the machine itself.

Very easy job, total cost @ Jaycar <$15.

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.php?p=17272468&postcount=10

19. Davo1111

Davo1111 Member

20. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

replied to your pm:thumbup: