DIY Solar panel setup on a budget

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by Mathuisella, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

Solid state.

Maintenance free batteries, which should be maintenance free for the duration i need them to be :)

edit: nothing is 100%, but making it as close as possible with my proposed setup design.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  2. Recharge

Recharge Member

how long are you wanting to run the set up?
    my maintenance free batteries went shitward in ~2 years.
    one went out of balance somehow and I couldn't see it, and stuffed the whole lot up.
    they now run at 12.4 after settling.
    and yes, I researched the shit out of the best way to do it. :tired:

3. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

i'm using maintenance free Deep Cycle Batteries with draw rate of .08%, So they're quite under stressed and i'll get max cycles out of them. Looking for 4 years.

1461 cycles, however, a cycle may take more than 1 night to complete eg: very cloudy day following a night, or a cloudy day followed by a night and then cloudy day ect:

at the moment, my design allows for 9 days in a row of poor sunshine (50% DOD). However, doing more calculations using the last 10 years of data from the Bureau of Meteorology

4. Sunder

Sunder Member

I know it's not feasible yet, but I'm dreaming about a time where you can get hydrogen fuel cells "cheap" from old cars. You know something like when these become so common, you can find one at most wreckers:

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/tucsonfuelcell/index.aspx

Then buy a hydrogen generator, run off spare solar energy. Expanding your "battery" at that point, would be as easy as buying another empty tank.

But yeah, given the constraints you've got, it's not going to be cheap. But why lead? It's been shown now that over a 10 year pay back, Lithium based batteries are cheaper, more reliable and with a good battery murdering system, is genuinely maintenance free - no topping up of water, desulphating, or equalisation charges. The occasional balancing charges is all done by the BMS.

2-4 years is pretty typical for Lead, but you're still at 80% capacity with well treated LiFePo4 after 8-10 years. So the initial up front cost may hurt, but by round 2 of batteries you're ahead, and round 3 is just money for jam.

5. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

Funny you should mention that as one of my subjects' projects at uni is improving Hydrogen Fuel cells

6. xc351

xc351 Member

Not really panels are cheap today and still produce power on cloudy days. its $4000 installed for 12kw of panels after rebates.

Add inverters lets say $2500 mpp solar (same as giant) inverter

Batterys are comming down in price quick tesla/GE and TCL(i think it is) can be had for approx 10k for 10kw

Used batterys can be had for MUCH less.

People are now getting used tesla car battery packs and using them they are 400v 85-115AH.

Ill be going fully off grid soon but house will be designed around that eg all led lights and essential circuits and normal circuits and my inverter can control aux relays to drop of the power.

12kw of pannels should produce 60kw of power daily more than enough. Now lets say due to clouds ect you pannels only produce 25% of that figure its still 15kw daily.

A back up genny can be had for $750 (3.5kva kings) this would still be portable so u can use it camping ect or you could run a auto start genny starting at twice the cost.

7. Recharge

Recharge Member

you just listed my definition of "a HELL of a lot of work and cost." :p :lol: :p

8. xc351

xc351 Member

I’d class it as pretty cheap really.

You could go off grid for under 10k

9. C0V3R

C0V3R Member

Which state? Quotes I'm getting arent even close to that ball park.

10. xc351

xc351 Member

Qld. That’s Panels installed does not include extras plus there not top tier pannels. $100 per panel installed. Why get a few % extra efficiently for twicevthe price of German pannels.

Much more and you are getting ripped.

11. Recharge

Recharge Member

I'm in Brisbane, and I haven't seen any prices that low anywhere.
    link?

12. Copie

Copie Member

Its XC351 pricing, unobtainable and usually with an illegal install.

13. xc351

xc351 Member

Not illegal. But is a good price either way. Hit up positronic solar he should come close.

I’ll post up a few wholesale price lists up here.

There is a 10k mark up on a giant battery/inverter setups (excluding solar pannels). You just need to find a small installer that will work for a decent rate. It doesn’t take long to install a system. Get apprentice/labourer to install pannels whole lecky does airing.

14. Recharge

Recharge Member

if I can get panels for that price.. hmmm ~rubs hands~
    in limbo atm, waiting for home loan yay or nay.

so many plans and ideas wanting to push through, grr, very frustrating.

house has 4kw system currently, but has room for expansion, and a huge double garage with even more room.

1st home buyer, it's been one hell of a ride so far :upset:

15. Juggs

Juggs Member

i just had a quote done
    i wanted a 5kw system installed on the shed roof with a use it before feeding it back to grid system

the prices were nuts
    16 325 w jinko panels
    16 enphase micro inverters
    single phase meter
    enphase communications gateway
    labour
    and $3k to add another mainline to the shed to feed solar back to meter box
    all up $12590 after credit rebates

i have a 80amp 10mm main going from the meter box to the shed originally i was told i could use this to feed the solar back to the house

i cant justify 12k the return is longer then the warranty period

16. xc351

xc351 Member

Skip the micro inverters. A basic 5kw system is 3500-5000k in qld.

Hell I got a offer in the mail for a slightly larger system from Eurosolar for $3699

Now let’s say that’s $100 per pannel = $1800 so inverter, wiring, misc, Energex/Ergon fees is $1899. No idea what they pay for an inverter but Let’s day its 899 and power company fees are a few hundred, labour and wiring. They might only make $500 profit per system.

But it goes to prove $100 per pannel installed is doable.

17. xc351

xc351 Member

Morning Xxxx

True Value Solar just wanted to touch base with you to let you know we have a high quality and affordable 5kW Solar System available.
    For just $3,699* you get a 5.13kW Solar System, 4kW Bosch Inverter and 19 x 270W Jinko Panels.
    This package is a great way to go solar without compromising on quality.
    This is a limited offer as stocks are selling fast. To secure this offer please call 13 76 52 and quote.

Thanks True Value Solar
    * T's C's apply, standard install
    Opt-out reply STOP

18. xc351

xc351 Member

Ok it’s a bosh inverter as well so not a cheap brand.

19. Recharge

Recharge Member

I'm really liking the look of solar edge, inverter wise, with their DC optimized inverters. shading only effects the panel thats shaded and doesn't bring down the whole system.
    would REALLY like that function in charge controller on the hobby scale, but then, I'd never be able to afford it anyway ha.

how much more it costs for an install though and weather it will make enough of a difference in production over time to warrant it. hmmmm

ugh, hurry up bank and tell me if I can have the house or not! :upset:

20. xc351

xc351 Member

some panels deal with partial shading better than others. But thats not a issue for me.

There is a massive price in cheap vs german pannels. depends of room space its 70m2ish for 10kw

tilt brackets add cost as well, maybee worth getting 50% more pannels than adding tilts. Depending on inverter it may clip the output but meh