DIY Tablet Stand

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Butcher9_9, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Hi Everyone

I currently have a large desktop setup (sig below) as well and a Samsung Windows tablet that i use for downloading stuff as my main rig is a bit to loud and draws too much power for 24/7 usage (unless I'm mining or re encoding videos) . I upgraded my monitors a while back and due to the size increase it has made my desk a bit cramped so I want to make a stand to hold my tablet above my monitors for more desk space and easier access to the tablet.

I aim to make a stand that can accommodate any future device that I may purchase so It has to be adjustable and not damage the tablet ( I could easily open the tablet up and make it some VESA like holes but that is a bit too ghetto).

Current situation, the Tablet blocks the bottom on my screen and the Head phones block part of the tablet.
    [​IMG]

My inspiration comes from those Car mount its for Phones however I don't have the skills to fabricate such slick parts so it may have to be a bit more homely :) .

To start Ill make the clamps to hold the Tablet. Alu Flat bar to the rescue (20mmx 3mm)
    [​IMG]

Time to start bending. I was worried about the Alu cracking to I did a bit of googling and found out that you only need to heat it to about 400C to soften the metal. Soap happens to blacken at the same temperature.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When its black its time to wack.
    [​IMG]

Yes I could have used a blow torch but they are ore expensive that normal gas.

Then just clamp and wack it with a hammer/block of wood.
    [​IMG]

Some time later
    [​IMG]

Cut the scrap ends off, I left them on for the first bend as it was only 1cmand that would have been fairly hard to do.
    [​IMG]

More bending
    [​IMG]

Time to join them together.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I tapped the upper section, test fit.
    [​IMG]

Time to make the adjustable slots. thumb screws with hold everything in place and will be able to slide up and down to fit the tablet.
    [​IMG]

Some dremmeling later.
    [​IMG]

Another test fit.
    [​IMG]

Cleaned them up.
    [​IMG]

Test fitting the tablet.
    [​IMG]

Still not sure what i will do about the extra depth I have allowed for. Most likely I'll pop in some non slip foam.
    [​IMG]

Then I need a bit to join the 2 brackets together.
    [​IMG]

Now a question for everyone. Do you think I need a third piece between the brackets and this last piece to add rigidity. I have some 20mmx10mm I could use.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  2. Recharge

Recharge Member

very nice so far.
    tempting me to do similar.

not for rigidity, but it will make it easier to add a stand of some kind.
    tablets are pretty damn rigid as it is.

3. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

I sure hope so, I'm cringing a bit looking at that tablet sitting in the bare metal :upset:

4. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Also thinking about painting the Tablet Bracket gloss black .

you may also see an appearance from a tonne of Magnets. Thinking about adding height adjust for he stand as a whole. Embedding strong magnets into the stand and then attaching a steel plate to the bracket so I can slide it up and down.

5. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Update time.

Almost done and so far all I have spent is $7 on some new paint, everything else has been left over from old project or things i have fished out of building site skips.

Need a Piece of steel for the Magnets to stick to. This is the stand of a large office partition or some such.
    [​IMG]

Some 1mm sheet steel to hold the magnets in place from the building site nextdoor.
    [​IMG]

And some old wood
    [​IMG]

Starting with the stand, some table sawing later everything is taking shape.
    [​IMG]

Test fitting everything after chiseling the base out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Routed out a space for the Magnets.
    [​IMG]

Took the Angle grinder to the plate steel
    [​IMG]

Drilled some holes in the plate and the clamp bracket
    [​IMG]

Chopped up some threaded rod.
    [​IMG]

Welded the rod into the plate, yes I can't weld for shit (My excuse is that my reactive goggles seem to have died to I did it with my eyes closed, cant say it would have been any better with them working though LOL)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Test fit
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Prep for painting
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  6. Recharge

Recharge Member

dude, this is turning out pretty sweet!

7. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

Nice work! That mount with the 5 bolts looks solid af. Love your style :thumbup:

8. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Yeah, did not want any play in that connection.

Added a bit of weight to the base using those bits of scrap.

[​IMG]

Painted the Bracket and assembled for the last time. Also epoxied some padding in.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  9. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

looks sweet as:thumbup:

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

That's me also....with padding it would be ok, but I guess I would feel like I'd still slip somehow and scratch the tablet.

11. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

He put that anti slip rubber matting in the most recent photo... looks good :thumbup:

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yep and that's what I'm saying, even with protection in the grips I'd still be worried about catching a metal edge somehow :paranoid:

13. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

I filed most of the corners so that should not be an issue, Also paint/Alu is pretty soft so I highly doubt it will be an issue.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  14. Defyant

Defyant Member

It's a learning curve :thumbup:

Good job tho man i might have just gone with perspex less damage :thumbup:

15. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

I think alu is the right choice and the padding is probably the most feasible solution. Maybe plastidip or similar could make the metal a bit more forgiving? but I think careful handling will do just fine :thumbup: It's really easy to overthink these DIY projects to a point they never get done or completely blow the budget... the point is to use whatever materials / tools / skills are available. It's fun to brainstorm though :D I'd have a ball putting together something like this. my workbench was real fun to build and is an ongoing project as I add bits (lights, backboard, hooks, power points, etc :) )

16. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

I have spare Alu and Plexi but Alu is much stronger and a bit more forgiving as you can tweak things with a bit of a bend here and there.

Either way I have test fit the Tablet and even with me man handling it a lot there is not even a hint of a scratch, the paint is way softer than the Tablet's plastic and there is padding everywhere that matters.

Anyway, an update. Magnets everywhere.

Cut that scrap bit of 1mm Sheet metal into a strip.
    [​IMG]

Much filing later
    [​IMG]

Marking out the Location for the magnets
    [​IMG]

Magnets, About 50 Macbooks gave there lives for these magnets
    [​IMG]

And in case that's not enough I have a couple spare
    [​IMG]

Turns out I did need a few extra (108 extra of the larger size) . 486 magnets in total which is a fair chunk of my stash.
    [​IMG]

All I need to do is find some screws with really nice chrome heads (hex if possible) so I can attached the metal to the base and then paint it all up.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  17. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Half the fun is building it.

You also end up with something that its your need not something generic.

Also these days everything is so poorly built, even with my poor skill and skip finds I can still make something sturdier than the rubbish that comes out of china.

18. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

Holy moly thatsa lotta magnets

19. Recharge

Recharge Member

you're going to need a friken crow bar to pry the tablet off with lmao

so no actual loss then? :lol:

20. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Yeah its on there pretty well, Would not want it to drop off. They also all happen to be pretty powerful Neodymium magnets so they are pretty strong as well.

As with most magnet related things you can slide it off with a bit of force. Never try to pull directly way from the magnet, you will not win.