Does anyone do portfolio/diary checks these days?

Discussion in 'Graphic Design & Digital Art' started by deepspring, Jun 25, 2016.

1. deepspring

deepspring Member

When I was at uni studying graphic design, students were required to create and maintain a detailed portfolio/diary (a folder or book full of any ideas, inspirations (photos, colors, etc), analog drawings, initial concepts, final concepts, etc) of any designs we created.

These portfolios/diaries were not only used as the means by which students received their final mark, but also as a method to help prevent plagiarism (intentional or unintentional). These portfolios/diaries were also recommended as method by which we could protect our intellectual copyright and trademarks.

I'm wondering how many people seeking freelancers to do logos and designs actually go out of their way to check the portfolios/diaries of the people they are looking to hire for work?

I'm also wondering how many professional designers out there maintain such a portfolio/diary?

2. Navare

Navare Member

I never did this myself when I was studying, mostly because it was a general multimedia TAFE course.

If I was to hazard a guess, most of the hard copy portfolios and diaries would have migrated to social media sites like Behance, Deviant Art and the likes. So no real plagiarism and originality checking.

But that's just my guess.

3. deepspring

deepspring Member

Thanks for the reply.

I completed a TAFE Certificate III in Graphic Design and Production as part of a 2 year trainee-ship at a sign writer before trying my hand at uni. The course was pretty simple, but we had to create a portfolio of our work in that as well (for employers to look at.)

You're right though, there seems to be a lot of people these days using social media sites instead of creating portfolios, probably because it's simpler and more convenient to some extent. But I still wonder though how they'd fair in a job interviews where an employer is interested in seeing how they go about planning out ideas and such, especially for works submitted for copyright or trademark protection.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  4. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

i still make a website with all my stuff on it as a consolidated hub.

5. Navare

Navare Member

Yeah I have a personal website myself, loaded with my "best" designs. I use that word loosely.

I keep a template on my PC for when I need to print a portfolio, I just insert relevant images and give them a description/creative inspiration/relevance spiel and bash the print button.

Though I would prefer an employer to give me a practical assignment before a possible interview as well, to better understand my skill, rather than just hoping I am skilled enough based on my portfolio.

Just seems logical.

6. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

I have had a few give me practical assignments to do, some before you get to the interview and some after the initial interview. One of the interviews liked the design i did that they paid me $30 for it and I wasn't complaining as money in my pocket is better than having no money.

7. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

Your own website is also important if you're concerned about controlling the copyright, as anything u put on facebook is basically transferred to the public domain / facebook to do whatever they want. I use mine and incorporate a "client area" for clients to download their stuff directly via FTP.

8. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

I deleted my facebook account in 2015 so that's not a concern.