Does OVERBURNING damage your cd burner?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by blitz_syd, Nov 22, 2003.

1. blitz_syd

blitz_syd Member

hey guys,
    just noticed today when overburning a cd. that it gave me a warning that overburning could damage your burner.

is this true?

and how much can you safely overburn a 700mb cd?

i managed to do about 740mb ... just wondering if i'm going to encounter any read errors from that disk?

thanks

2. whitetoeddog

whitetoeddog Member

I have over-burned many a disk and I never had problems with any CD's at all, using a Yamaha burner..

but, yes there would be some risk involved, only a little though and considering the price of burners these days, probably worth the risk, but ultimately your choice.

3. blitz_syd

blitz_syd Member

what about the data on the disks?
    have you had any problems with disk corruption?

4. Dark_Ernie

Dark_Ernie Member

What kind of cd's are you using. I have a LiteOn 52x32x52 burner, and I use TDK 700MB silvers, and I cant even overburn 1 lousy MB! I'm using Nero 6, but I tried it with other software too.

5. jason_gan

jason_gan Member

If your burner is capable of overburning, (and most Lite-Ons are), then your burner will not be damaged.

6. Anarki

Anarki Member

Nero 6 has a bug concerning overburning. There is a patch for it. Look at the nero site.

7. blitz_syd

blitz_syd Member

i have the Liteon burner @ 52x

i am using alcohol

i can burn a 750mb image on a ricoh 700mb cd :)

8. kirky155

kirky155 Member

Yes in the long run it can. I have heard from several technicians that sometimes the burner can go straight through the center hole becase the lazer has to go so far to the edge it can sometimes go through.

9. Chronos

Chronos Member

What?

:confused:

10. HyDrA

HyDrA Member

Yes I have a liteon burner, yes i have never overburnt a cd, yes i am comfortable with that.

11. Anarki

Anarki Member

Ah, I just remembered overburning ~750-790mb (Can't be sure..) on a 700mb CD using a LiteOn 48x12x48x burner. It got to about 98% then gave me an error, and the drive tray wouldn't open at all. I restarted and from memory it STILL wouldnt open. Fearing the worst I shutdown, and used my 'CD Opener Thingy' (Piece of ~1mm wire) to manually eject the tray.

After I turned the system back on, the tray opened and closed okay, and the drive and burned CD both worked OK, but I noticed the drive was a tiny bit flakey in some cicumstances. Could have just been in my mind, though.

12. LoCuTuS

LoCuTuS Member

umm...

1) data on a CD is burnt from the INSIDE to the OUTSIDE of the disc.
    2) it is physically impossible for the laser to move past the data surface of a CD

13. TheBoss

TheBoss Member

that it impossible since burner starts to burn from inside (same spot) of cd ither u uverburn or not,if u say go over the edge it can make sence!

14. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Even if it could, I didn't think CD writers had "star wars" class lasers that would be able to cut right through your burner. lol. :D

15. jason_gan

jason_gan Member

Yep.
    Basically the drives that do not support overburning are those where the laser is obstructed from moving past the data surface of the CD.

16. Sub_Atomic

Sub_Atomic Member

yeah, my diamond data 40x12x48 can overburn a disc to (from memory) about 810mb. Thats the furtherest I've gone, I use Imation CD's. Never had a problem with them, and the overburn was with Nero 5.

Sub.

17. whitetoeddog

whitetoeddog Member

cool comment :D

as for overburning 'possibly' damaging a burner over time, for the price nowadays around $50 - $60 its worth the risk.
    Personally I think the 'burner ' manufacturers only give the warning because they knew how many different brands and types of discs would be swarming onto the market over the past few years.

18. Dark_Ernie

Dark_Ernie Member

Is there like a tutorial on exactly how to overburn with nero 6? I've gotten the update to like 6.0.0.23 or whatever it is. I dont see why it needs to many decimal places but meh.

19. Julz

Julz Member

ive had two cdrw drives (ricoh) die from overburning....

1 completely died, underwarranty. The replacement is dodgy at burning now. Mind u these were 4x and 6x burners.

Burners are only $60 these days as opposed to my $350 4x burner so go ahead and give it a shot

20. blitz_syd

blitz_syd Member

thanks mate.. building up my confidence. but still a bit worried about media though.