Email host recommendation?

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by walker_2003, Mar 20, 2017.

1. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Any recommendations for an email host for around 15 email addresses that will allow large IMAP inboxes, say max 10gigs or so? Got a client hell bent on using imap across all devices and keeping every email ever. G suite is an option but bit pricey, but if that's all there is will go down that path.

2. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

3. kogi

kogi Member

1) Office 365 mail, could be cost effective if you lump it in with your Office 365 (word, exel, etc) yearly fee

2) Gapps ( or whatever they are calling it this month)

[del]3) Slightly dodgy, "purchase" a legacy gapps account. Cost~$100 then no monthly fee. Would depends on future actions of google.[/del]
    Thought about it, too risky for a business

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  4. harrye30

harrye30 Member

Gapp suite is where my personal/business mail is located.
    I'm paying $4 user for both and I find that to be spot on.

I agree with the hosted exchange option - it's a business environment so sell them on guaranteed uptime and availability. I deal with small email hosts being blacklisted daily and it's loads of fun telling a customer "You want to cheap out and that's not really our fault - we warned you"

TLDR do it once and do it right.
    If they're not willing to listen to reason are they worth being a customer? (more trouble then they're worth?)

5. NSanity

NSanity Member

IMAP is a 1980's solution for a 2017 problem.

Let it die already.

If you *need* Outlook. Get O365.
    If you ok with living in a browser. G-Suite or O365 will cover you.
    If you have hundreds of users and some reasoning as to why you can justify on-premise hardware. Consider Exchange.

6. harrye30

harrye30 Member

If you're worried about outlook the Gapps sync tool works flawlessly.
    if of course the business doesn't already have licencing then yeah. a bus premium plan or similar is going to work out better.

7. NSanity

NSanity Member

No.

It doesn't.

Fundamental difference between how G-Suite stores mail and how Outlook/Exchange does exist. See Labels. Also see shared calendars, contacts, etc.

It will work for basic users, sure. But it is not a drop in replacement for anyone who is an Outlook "power user".

8. ViPeR-7

ViPeR-7 Member

For old school style non-exchange, non-google based email, i've been using OpenSRS for a few years now. They're a spin-off from Tucows (remember them?!), they're cheap and they work great. Their servers aren't based in Australia, but for email that's not a big issue, i've never had any issues with delays fetching mail or such, they've honestly been more reliable than O365.

$0.50 per mailbox per month for 5GB of space, POP, IMAP and Webmail access, and you can buy extra space for specific accounts.

Their management interface looks like it hasnt been updated since 1990, but hey, it works.

If only I got commission from referrals :p

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  9. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Thanks guys yeah ill push for an exchange setup. A couple of them run office 365 and a couple on office 2016. Didn't even know you could use exchange with that, just an extra small fee on top?

10. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Any option for bigger then 5 gig? Also can they transition existing email domains across? That can be an issue for some, google use third party companies to manage it when you use them who charge fees on top of Google prices.

11. NSanity

NSanity Member

Look at the Office365 Premium plans.

12. harrye30

harrye30 Member

Hmm,

Fair point I guess.
    I was more thinking that a SMB isn't really going to contain "Power Users", in this case I'm probably showing my knowledge. Cause they definitely do.

13. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Looks like we will be going with Office 365 Business Premium @ $17.50 per user a month.

Because office is bundled in this makes it better value then G-Suite because they already were paying $8.00 a month per user for 365 home/student.

One thing I am worried about is the transition from current email domain host to MS, technical support seem to think its an easy process with MX file etc and some verification with existing host.. but I have never done this. They claim the website holds your hand pretty well with it all, and to call them if needed.

When looking into G-Suite, they put me onto a third party partner company to do on my behalf who charged a fair bit on top of G-Suites prices giving me impression its kind of hard..

Anyone had experience with this?

14. NSanity

NSanity Member

if you can update DNS records. if you can copy paste mail from one pst file to a mailbox. You'll be ok.

If its 100+ users, maybe get a tool.

15. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

Google Apps has step by step documentation, regarding logging into your domain provider and copy / pasting the MX code etc.

Did it about two years ago with no issues from memory.

I just followed the documentation, and was all good. (Note that we lost all our old emails IIRC but we didn't care, I have no idea if it was possible to transfer them across, probably was).

We are happy with GApps and we use Outlook 2016. We're not power users, but it works 'good enough' for us. Like Nsanity said, GApps uses Labels, which is not really "Folders" that Outlook uses, but is a tag IIRC, but seems to sync fine and doesn't appear any different.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  16. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

We will see how MS trial goes because existing web host (although apparently happy to be losing the customer) says his existing customers who have made the move regret it due to lots of down time and issues.. Lets hope its just him being bitter.

17. Foliage

Foliage Member

Outsource it. Cheaper and will net a better result.

18. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

suggestions to whom?

19. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

If $5 per mailbox per month is "pricey", I would suggest that perhaps they don't understand the true cost to their business of managing enormous mailboxes on local infrastructure.

How much are they paying for their current email software, remote access, security, management, updates, patches, backups, etc, etc?

Quantify that cost, and then compare to $5 per mailbox with all of that covered. (Not even factoring in all the other stuff you get - drive/docs, IM/voice/video messaging, etc).

More than that, if your fleet is highly mobile and wants phones/tablets as their devices while on the road, G-Suite is amazing for both iOS and Android users. The apps supplied are great.

Plus it comes with built-in MDM, so you can secure your company data and wipe it (as in: wipe just the company data, not the whole phone) in the event of emergency.

If I was looking at communications for a business that was highly mobile (on-site support techs, travelling sales people, etc) G-Suite would stand out for me.

If your business is mostly folks at desks in corporate offices, then it's much of a muchness compared to O365. With that said, Office 365 for mobile is getting there, but they're still playing a bit of catch up. And I have no idea what their MDM offering is (if any, and if it's another expense on top, whereas it's free with G-Suite).

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  20. Foliage

Foliage Member

O365

Not the cheapest, but at least you know it works well enough for the average person.