EPOX, WinXP, Nvidia GEFORCE 3, DIVX and Invinite Loop Problem

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by niai, Mar 27, 2002.

1. niai

niai Member

My Problem:
    1. Computer Freezes at random intervals when watching DIVX movies,
    this is unrecoverable and requires a reboot using either the reboot
    button or holding down the power button for 5 seconds. There is no
    BSOD, the image freezes and the soundcard plays the same sound over
    and over. This suggests that the graphics card and sound card are
    still working, but the operating system has failed.

2. Invinite Loop BSOD when playing Aliens VS Predator 2, although no
    problems playing Half-Life mods. I have only seen this problem a few
    times so far when playing. Although I recently encountered problems at
    a LAN party where AVP would crash in the same way as the DIVX movies
    would when playing a network game.

Solutions Tried:
    1. Removed soundcard
    2. Changed graphics card for old Creative Labs TNT2 Ultra
    3. Removed NIC
    4. Swapped RAM
    5. Different Nvidia Drivers
    6. Different DIVX Versions
    None of these solutions worked. I am unsure if this is a software
    problem or a hardware problem.

My System:

Epox 8K7A+ Motherboard
    Taisol CGK760092 CPU Cooler
    AMD Athlon XP 1700
    Crucial 256MB DDR PC2100 ECC CAS-2.5 (Registered) RAM
    AGP Gainward Geforce 3 Ti 550 Golden Sample
    Creative Labs Soundblaster LIVE 1024
    3COM 3C905-TX NIC

30 Gig Maxtor Drive - IDE Controller Primary Master
    CyberDrive CDRW - IDE Controller Secondary Master
    60 Gig IBM Drive - RAID Controller Primary Master
    Creative DVD Drive - RAID Controller Secondary Master

Software:

BIOS Updated to latest (BIOS Date 3/4/2002) from
    (http://www.epox.com/html/english/support/motherboard/bios/8k7a.htm)
    Windows XP Pro Build 1600 w all Windowsupdate patches
    Nvidia Official 2.8.3.2 Drivers
    VIA Apollo IDE busmaster Drivers v3.014
    DIVX 5.0 Pro

Thanks in advance for any advice you could give me.

Iain

2. tired

tired Member

Consensus in the Via forums is the power supply is to blame and if the power supply is inadequete it can help in causing these problems.

Therefore , they are telling people to buy better made and more well known supplies known for their quality.

3. happygilmore

happygilmore Member

here's a longshot, but Norton AV off my epox 8kta3 CD did this to me.

4. maddhatter

maddhatter Member

Turn off Sideband addressing (if you've tried tweaking it using nvtweak or the like, and also in your bios) and turn off AGP fastwrites in bios.

5. sabretooth

sabretooth Overdue for a new title

22.81 detonators stopped BSODs with a GeForce 3 for me (When 23.11's were the latest)

6. pat77

pat77 Member

Memory Settings

It also comes down to how aggressive your memory settings are also. Try reducing the aggressiveness of your memory settings and install the 28.32 XP Dets. Also try the suggestion of reducing your video card memory settings also if they are tweaked to high also.

7. sabretooth

sabretooth Overdue for a new title

Also try the latency patch, and the latest 4in1's.

8. Wolf

Wolf Lex generalis

Assuming your psu is decent and you aren't pushing your system - o/c fsb/cpu, low memory latency, etc there could still be a couple things to explain the problem...

Try installing XP with a different HAL, some of the VIA chipsets I have delt with worked better with 'Standard PC' than the default ACPI HAL - this lets the bios control IRQ settings, so you have more control over devices sharing resources...

For best results, install with only your video card inserted - Use the F5 key to reach the HAL options menu when first installing XP - select 'Standard PC' - When finished, add devices one by one, without using the first PCI slot so you don't share an IRQ with your video card...

In my experience - don't bother installing any of the via 4-1 drivers - (unless you are having latency or USB problems) - XP seems to run fine without them.

Then when you finish up with the latest drivers etc for your cards - try the same programs etc - and hopefully you'll no longer have the problem... (NB - I could be way off here, but after having some headaches with via chipsets in the past , I now use this method - and it hasn't failed yet :)

9. niai

niai Member

OK, So I thought I had fixed my system by making the following changes.

BIOS Updated to Custom BIOS including latest Highpoint (2.31) from http://www.biosmods.com/bios.php?class=epox8k7a&version=1b26_231. Installing 2.31 Highpoint drivers, and moving the harddisks and cdroms around so the cd drives were on the IDE controller and the harddisks on the Raid. In addition it turned out that my motherboard had been configured incorrectly and the jumper on it was set to a 100Mhz FSB instead of 133. The machine was, however, set to 133 in the BIOS so the AGP and PCI bus were both being stressed due to the way the Epox 8K7A sets those speeds. I have now corrected this and the PCI and AGP bus are both running at the correct speed.

AFAIK I am not stressing the machine in anyway, although I am unsure about the BIOS settings I should use for the AGP and Memory. I currently have left the Memory to automatic settings and the AGP is set to 4x and Fast Writes disabled. AFAIK The 8K7A doesn't require the 4-in-1's.

I'm not too bothered about the infinite loop problem as it doesn't occur in the games I play the most. However the DIVX freezing continues to occur. I have just reinstalled Windows using the Standard PC HAL instead of the ACPI one as adviced by Wolf, but I get the strange feeling this may be a hardware error. Although how-come the computer doesn't display the same symptoms when I perform any other task?

Could this be a hardware issue?

10. niai

niai Member

Just to update, it has frozen when watching a DIVX with ACPI disabled.

11. niai

niai Member

Ok so two months after this problem first appeared I think I have it solved.

The solution? Install AMD Miniport Drivers.

Let's hope I don't see it again, because if I do i'm gonna cry.

12. niai

niai Member

I'm close to tears (honest).

My computer decided to freeze again. My next plan is to try another psu to see if it has the same problem.

13. Bahamut Zer0

Bahamut Zer0 Member

I had the 8k7a board and i had not one single problem. I sometimes wish I still had it actually, I gave up raid for the 8kha+
    :(

Anyway, in your memory page (in bios), there is a performance setting with values like normal, fast, fastest and Turbo. Try putting it on normal and try and reproduce the error.
    If all is well, go up a notch (fast) and try again. Keep going as far as you can until you get the error. Document what settings are changed when you go from stable setting to crash setting and then troubleshoot why it would be doing that.

Also, if you are overclocking your geforce, put it back to stock speeds. I get crashes as well when watching/encoding divx with my vid card overclocked.
    I also get frequent crashes with AvP. The latest patch fixed it up though.

Currently using 27.52 dets and i havnt seen a loop yet

good luck!

14. niai

niai Member

Memory settings are currently at normal. It crashes when the Geforce isn't overclocked.

I had a look at the power supply in the machine and its got 300W Total Power and 165W Combined power. Epox recommend a 350W Total with 195W Combined power according to an email they sent me. I am going to try another PSU which meets these recommended values.

15. niai

niai Member

Have tried a PSU which exceeds EPOXs recommended values. Still freezes when watching DIVX movies.

Invinite Loop problem has completely gone.

Could this be the CPU? It only crashes when watching DIVX movies in any software with any DIVX codec version.

The CPU and Motherboard are the only things I haven't changed.

16. Richard_

Richard_ New Member

Formatting could help :p 2k could help! arghh die XP!

i got so many weird fuckups with xp on my system.. i reckn i formatted about 4 times in the space of 2 weeks, until i went back to 2k. 3 months later, ive formatted once.

I used to get those loppy sound / green fried lines on my system when cs crashed, mid game, always at least 20min into it, it was my GTS overheating ... you have a ti500 which should have a fucken chunky heatsink, make sure the fans ect are propourly working? worth a try..

17. niai

niai Member

I've formatted a very large number of times. I will try going back to Windows 2000 again.

18. lowey2002

lowey2002 Member

The infinite loop is a Hardware problem. WinXP just named it the infinite loop. It use to be those dreaded blue screen lock-ups in 98. Not sure what 2K does tho.

There's a really long boring article here about the infinite loop.

The summary of the article is : it can be anything and this article cannot help you.

BTW. i just wanna congradulate you niai on having a brain. Not many people take the initiative to give as much detail on their problem as you did. You will find that if you don't give any details teh first 20 posts will be asking for details and you'll never end up gettin any help. Good 1

19. niai

niai Member

Now only if the DIVX problem would go away i would be happy.

When I sent an email to Epox they said they couldn't help me implement DIVX due to its very nature. Which was nice of them.

20. niai

niai Member

I sent the CPU, Motherboard and Memory back to the supplier as a good old RMA. They sent them back to me saying that there is nothing wrong with them.