Finding out what my steam ID password is?

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by RedFox, Jan 21, 2008.

1. RedFox

RedFox Member

Ok

I stopped playing half life/cs online when steam first came out coz i was on dialup.
    Today, years later I have broadband

I goto install HL1/updates and all and try and log onto steam. After a bit of mucking around I worked out that I created an ID all those years ago.

Couldnt guess my password/or secret answer

I've been guessing for ages, then, it let me in with that log in - but I dont know what password I used coz Ive tried like 1000 times :mad:

Now that I am in ok - how can I find out what my password is out of the registry or wherever?

cheers

2. RedFox

RedFox Member

I have found this - but I dont know how legit it is

Code:
    http://aluigi.altervista.org/pwdrec.htm

Steam password decoder 0.1.1 (steampwd)
    experimental tool for decoding the password stored in the local ClientRegistry.blob file
    The password is encrypted using a key composed by 3 registry values which are unique for each computer so you can't recover the password located on other PC:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ProductId
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Cryptography\MachineGuid
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\Half-Life\Settings\io
    The steam.dll file included is EXACTLY the same of some Steam versions ago, not altered or modified, just the original one. If you want to use a newer or different steam.dll file you must also modify the offset called by the program (1.0?) 

3. SgtCaboose

SgtCaboose Member

You could just get it sent to you..with the I forgot my password in steam...

4. RedFox

RedFox Member

i forgot my password and to get that sent you need your answer to secret question
    which i dont know

but now that i have guessed my password, i dont know what i entered still thus i wanna pull it out of the computer where ever its stored

5. keiith

keiith Member

Hey mate,

I was in the same situation as you, lost my password and didn't know the answer to my secret question.

Here is the information on how you can retrieve your account password - http://support.steampowered.com/cgi...opup_adp.php?p_faqid=197&p_created=1093809052

You will need to submit a case to Steam support with relevant information so they can verify that the account is indeed yours.

Once they can, they will reset your password.

Hope that helps!
    Keith.

6. RedFox

RedFox Member

can anyone vertify that steampwd is a legit program?

7. SgtCaboose

SgtCaboose Member

seems legit, use at your own risk obviously.

if you really want to be safe, just disable your network connection, run it, use it, make sure the app is gone (task manager) and then start your network again,

8. RedFox

RedFox Member

just so you know

1) the program i used worked
    2) if you email steam from the account you registered a couple of days later they reset your password and let you know a temp one... i was surprised when they did this but they did

cheers