Fishtank Perspex Case

Discussion in 'Modding' started by zwof, Jan 10, 2014.

1. zwof

zwof Member

We've all thought about making a computer fishtank at one point or another, but the mess with the water and animals or mineral oil is a turnoff for most.

This Christmas I decided the missus needed her own gaming PC so she wouldn't keep hogging mine to play WoW.
    And as she is a huge marine aquarium fan (we have 4 fishtanks in the house), i decided to make her a fishtank PC.

I used an old i7-950, motherboard and GTX460 i had left over from a previous system.
    I scrounged an old, nasty, rusty, grimey perspex case from work and polished, sanded, painted, and polished some more to get it nice and shiney again.
    Ordered some plastic fish and coral from ebay, and the brilliant guys at PCCaseGear and Dicko's Extreme provided me with the new switches, sleeving, misc parts etc.
    Had a plastics place make up some custom cut transparent purple perspex parts to put inside the case for mounting/hiding things.

So here are the results.
    I only have the two pics and no worklog ones as it was put together in a rush over the 4 days prior to Christmas. To keep it secret and so forth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sorry6

Sorry6 Member

I like the look of it. Its very polished and shiny but i can imagine what it looks like now with the dust getting in it

3. disco frank

disco frank Member

thats cool!

but i was expecting a computer in a real fish tank :(

4. Aussierox

Aussierox Member

Friend of mine has just done this with an AMD 8 core and 2 270x graphics cards. there goes the warranty haha. Had to buy about 40L of baby oil in 500ml bottles.

5. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Looks to me like you've got your ram in single channel mode.
    Double your ram bandwidth simply by plugging it into the right slots (all white?).

6. zwof

zwof Member

I'll take some new pics after work today, very little dust on/in it even now.

Yup. The pics were taken right after i finished it so the ram was just plugged in to make sure the thing would boot. :D