Flash Carts Could Be Slowly Killing Your Retro Consoles

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Jul 17, 2017.

1. power

power Member

Flash Carts Could Be Slowly Killing Your Retro Consoles

Original big technically article

well for many of us who use these carts (not me) this could be quite scary to think that poorly made carts could actually kill their host console.

Buyer beware, PSA and all that.

2. azzachaz

azzachaz Member

I think this rings true for anyone using cheaply made electronics. You get what you paid for.

I'd be inclined to think the problem is not as bad as they are stating. The current/voltages are very low and not likely to generate a lot of heat (12.5mA x 5V = 0.0625W ?).

It's a shame the devices aren't being built to spec though, since they are built to do a specific job. Logic level IC chips can be had for less than a dollar, and are relatively simple circuits to design into a device.

3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Well, specific to this topic, no. Some of these flash carts cost a fortune, but still exhibit the problem that Rene from db-electronics has documented.

There's even cases where one manufacturer has 50% of their stuff with the wrong voltages, and 50% with the correct ones.

At least the problem is documented now, and hopefully the people manufacturing these flash carts can attempt to fix it. Although the issue seems to stem from volume-availability of the correct voltage regulator components, which means potentially a product shortage to solve it long term.