Floor layout software

Discussion in 'Graphic Design & Digital Art' started by spikenet, Oct 21, 2016.

1. spikenet

spikenet Member

I've been doing fire evacuation plans and currently use inkscape to create vector from pdf plans, then move to sketchup to remove unwanted features then into sketchup layout to add symbols, text etc.

This has turned out to work nicely but is very time consuming, so I'm wondering if there is a faster way to draw the layouts using the pdf/scans of floors as a background and draw walls/doors etc with simple fast tools. Sketchup seems very clunky (the way i use it) as it cant draw walls or doors with one click, you have to draw individual lines etc to get what you want.

hope this makes sense and someone can suggest a better workflow!

cheers

2. Deeb0

Deeb0 Member

what about using Bluebeam PDF markup tool (or similar) over the pdf plan? Otherwise an old version of AutoCAD will do you, then you could get dwg's off the consultants to use as an xref...

3. shredder

shredder Member

So you want PDF to 2D CAD and then do some simple drawing over top by the sounds of it. There are tons of ways you could do this. But finding a good workflow will be highly dependent upon the specifics of the input and output document formats and contents. Therefore I'd need to have my hands on an input file and it's corresponding output finished product before I could figure it out.

Your OS is Windows I assume.