G41M-ES2L First impressions...

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Kelvin, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

The Giggabyte G41M-S2L appears to be the direct "replacement" for the G31m-S2l.. an old favourite of mine..

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products...board&ProductID=3024&ProductName=GA-G41M-ES2L

Now available for $72

It boast the G41 chipset combined with the Venerable ICH7 southbridge

Pros

Cheap
    Reasonable overclocking settings
    appears to support bsel mods.. (but Doesn't appear to do much)
    X4500 on board graphics.
    Native PATA support
    Support basically every socket 775 produced...
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=3024
    PCIe-x16 graphic slot (unlike the higher models which only have a x4 slot)
    Tiny sized board. smaller than the typical microatx board

Cons
    Still the problem of lowerst memory divisor of 1:2.66C with 200FSB CPUs
    Odd FSB behaviours. with a likely FSB wall between 300-333 with some FSB 200 CPUS..
    2 dimm slots only.
    The PCI-e x1 slot only support a small card due to the ram slot position).
    onyl three audio jacks on the io shield to be shared.
    Northbirdge appears to get reasonable hot..
    Support pciexpress 1.0 only.. NOT 2.0
    No DVI... or HDMI...

Regarding overclocking..

I've taken my E1200 to 8x333 = 2.66ghz. and my E5200 to 266x12.5 = 3.33ghz.. just as a test..

the Ctrl F1 key is no longer needed to access advanced options..

This baord is probably ideal for a cheap upgrade system..

$72 for the board.. reuse your old socket 775 cpu.. or a new E6300 with VT for $107
    2x2gig ddr2-800 = $58

$237 gets you a motherboard, CPU and 4gig of ram.. and overclocking potential as well..

The motherboard also works with 20pin power supplies.. so long you have a p4 4 pin cable ... you can also reuse you old PATA harrdidsk and optical drive. given the single native ICH7 PATA controller.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  2. Mau1wurf1977

Mau1wurf1977 (Banned or Deleted)

Good stuff!

3. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

A new version of the G31M-S2L sounds good. For a basic system it'll be ideal. DVI would have been nice (since all the cheap 780G boards have DVI, and this is in competition with them) - but I guess Intel had to keep some features for the G43 and G45.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  4. crix75

crix75 Member

I've just dropped an E5200 into one of these boards and I'm pleasantly surprised. I was able to get the E5200 to 3750Mhz without too much of a voltage bump. Temps are OK under load, although I think I may investigate some aftermarket cooling. My E5200 is a R0 stepping, which is not listed on the CPU Support list, the board correctly ID'd the model but made a mess of the settings, which was easy enough fixed.

Click to view full size!

I also noticed when I was setting it up, that there was some driver oddness with the audio drivers - there were 2 unrecognised audio-related devices left after the install was "complete". The oddness disappeared after the next boot. I've got one or two other gripes with the board, but I'm going to flash it to the F3 version of the BIOS and see if that helps. I've got a 4850 plugged into the PCIE slot, so I cant comment on the onboard video. The PICE 1x slot is poorly placed, as you can only use short cards in the slot as it lines up wit the ram clips.

On the whole I'm quite happy with mine, great budget board that also has some OC potential. When paired with a mid-spec graphics card this board makes for a great base. Support for faster RAM would be a bonus.

5. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

If anything.. I'd would prefer support for SLOWER ram and lower divisors.. as to avoid overclocking the ram too much..

There's plenty of support on the board for faster ram.. just increase the ram divisor .. watch the ram speeds go up...

PS. the baords supports the E5300 and E5400 at the R0 stepping.. stragne they didn't list the E5200 R0.. but I would expect this to be an oversight..

6. NewKleer

NewKleer Member

though 2.66 isnt that bad...need to be 300 for ddr800 which is 50% overclock already, and most ddr2-800 will do like 850-900.

isnt that what the g31m-es2l has anyway? (2.66 as lowest one?). likewise wit the pci-e ram slot clearance, same as g31m-es2l?

in terms of clearance, by looking at some google images, id say most dual tvtuners wont clear? but then if not running video card, you can use the x16 slot?

if u want dvi/hdmi u go for the g41m-es2h (only has 4x pci-e, but since ur getting it for onboard, doesnt matter)

7. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

Heh, yeah i built a rig for a friend based on one of these last week. e5300 and a 250gts and it stomps along.

Havent tried any overclocking, but i've got to head round there for tech support some time this week (when i say DONT CHANGE, DELETE OR TOUCH SHIT i mean it grrr!) anyways so will see what she's got.

8. sanjay

sanjay Member

hey kelvin, what cooler are you using to get your e1200 to those speeds?

i got one here myself and i want to see how far i can get on air with an MSI G31 mobo :)

9. bAbY_RoG3R

bAbY_RoG3R Member

any ideas on when these boards will hit the market ?

10. NewKleer

NewKleer Member

good luck with that board! (g31 boards in general = bad unless proven otherwise, esp with respect to ram multipliers, i.e. u cant overclock cause ram is 3.33xfsb, so at 300fsb ur ddr1200).

msy dont have them in stock?

11. sanjay

sanjay Member

well on the G31M3-L i can change the FSB:RAM ratio, is that what you mean?

12. NewKleer

NewKleer Member

yeah, can u set it so fsb is 200 (stock) and ram is say 533? so when fsb is 300, ram is 800?

13. sanjay

sanjay Member

going hellishly off topic here but i think i can, i'll test it tomorrow (about to head to bed)

either way i dont want to do any OC on the shitty stock cooler. even at stock it gets up to 80 degrees when churning out an orthos test!

14. General_Cartman

General_Cartman Member

I wouldn't really call the GMA X4500 a pro... But looks like a nice board for the price, especially if there is overclocking action to be had.

15. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

Putting anythign card in the inthe pCI-express 16x slot usually disables. the on board video...

Yes you are right.. its almost a direct repalcement for the G31m-s2l and presumably the g31m-es2l as well..

16. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

stock cooler.. just a brief test..... the MSI board is going to be lots and lots of trouble...

17. NewKleer

NewKleer Member

doesnt it allow u to even run graphics with onboard running? i thought a lot of onboard video can still run if you have another card installed? are you certain you lose it if you plug a card in the 16x slot, or are you just assuming that? (do u know if the g31m-es2l lost onboard with a pci-e card, or any other board that makes you think this?)

18. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

Haven't tried.. but I'mm 99% sure.. given the 16x slot is supplied via the northbridge, on both the G31 / G41 chipsets

Only weird boards like some of the gigabyte boards.. wehre the PCIE 16x slot (electrically 4x) is connected to the southbirdge instead, will the onboard video function with another card in the 16x slot.. Gigabyte has now even removed this from their newer boards microatx boards.. If I have time.. i''l prove it for certain shortly... with my TV tuner...

AMD boards are a totallly different kettle of fish.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  19. NewKleer

NewKleer Member

ok cool, would be good to know for sure. cause i know the only board i ever tried to run onboard + discrete simultaneously, worked (forget which it was, a gigabyte matx intel 775 board of some kind)

20. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

Just ried it with my G31m-s2l..

inserting a 16x video card disables the onboard video completely... (windows cannot detect it).. as expected..

However inserting a PCI express x1 card (tunner card)-- does not disable the on board video...

Inserting a PCE-x1 videocard into the x16 slots. results in failure of the x1 card as a secondary device..