General Aquarium Talk NO SELLING Swaps go in the Fish/Plant Swap Sticky

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by Zoiks, May 9, 2008.

1. japes

japes Member

With that said, some of the wild type betta's prefer very small stagnant tanks. Most of your aquarium bred splendens won't mind the larger spaces and light flow, though.

2. SuiCid3

SuiCid3 Member

I recently bought this:
    http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=4731&catID=2

for the missus and her new betta.
    Beautiful guy.. similar to this:
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-k7uqdZAFxpw/TqqZttbAVhI/AAAAAAAAAHc/H5wFRWEYmNU/s1600/1497850.jpg

The little guy loves it in there all by himself. Very active once he got his own space (compared to the fishbowl we had him in temporarily).
    The tank is set up next to the computer table so he's always swimming against the front trying to get us to feed him more that fat shit

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  3. mike-s

mike-s Member

Well it has gone from one 10mm bastard to about 3 of similar size, plus about 4-5 of 8mm and a further 7 at sub 5mm. I'm pulling them out when I see them crawl onto the front of the glass. I really need to get a dwarf bristlenose to throw in there to kill off their food source.

4. Agg

Agg Administrator

Peope freak out about snails but I don't worry too much. They seem to have big population spikes then die off. Mostly they just eat algae and dead leaf matter, and they keep the substrate turning over, so it's no big deal unless you get so many they start to clog your filter etc. So don't panic too much just yet. Or get something like a clown loach or silver shark (bearing in mind their own requirements and growth concerns) which will get rid of them overnight. :)

5. broccoli

broccoli Member

Each of my male bettas (except for George who is in a corner one) is in one of those tanks. I think they are a good size for a betta, although I've had trouble with the lights failing on them.

The photo you linked to is a beauty.

6. mike-s

mike-s Member

I know about their size requirements and If i was to look into one, I'd likely just give someone some beer so I could borrow a juvenile for a week or two to make sure they're gone.

The water flow is fine for now, so that being said, I'll leave them for now. A bonus is they save me getting more small loaches (i have two cinnamon ones about 10cm long each in the 3 footer) which do a great job for aeration as well as algae removal.

7. KrAzEe

KrAzEe Member

get a peg and hang some lettuce in the tank over night, the snails will be all around it in the morning. Just chuck them out with the lettuce.

8. afcca

afcca Member

Anyone happen to of tried one of those new fancy Fluval G6/3s?

9. Falkor

Falkor Member

I got a yoyo loach in a smaller tank I had, and it did a great job of eating snails every now and then so there was a few but never too many :)

10. fido666

fido666 Member

Neon Tetra with a lump on his face

I did a water change and clean yesterday plus replaced a fern that was taking over the tank with a pennywort. Today I noticed one of my neon tetras has what appears to be a lump/growth near his mouth. It's grey/whitish in colour and looks like a rather large pimple. Any ideas what it might be?

He seems happy enough but I can't tell if he's able to eat OK because none of the fish responded to the small amount of flakes I tried feeding them just now (they were fed this morning though).

11. mattg

mattg Member

12. Juggs

Juggs Member

i got sick of stuff dieing in my aqua0ne 980 well plants thrive in it so not everything dies

so i put three guppies in and i now have 500 guppies
    although the inbredding between brothers and sisters does disturb me a little

going to try and sell the tank in a few weeks as my power bill is just getting too high

13. Boo Baby

Boo Baby New Member

14. broccoli

broccoli Member

Holey Moley Boo, I thought I had too many tanks, but now I seem very restrained :lol: I love that one with the pink (flowerhorn?). Gorgeous.

15. Avariel

Avariel Member

If theres anyone in Toowoomba who needs some fish, i need to get rid of 6 or so Rummynose Tetra and a couple of bristlenose cat fish, bascially a forced move for work and need to get rid of asap.

16. Boo Baby

Boo Baby New Member

heheh thanks! :) Almost finished setting it up then I can start hitting off the stock list!!!!!

and yeah the one with pink is a flowerhorn I think ;S which pink one? lol

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  17. broccoli

broccoli Member

Anything pink. Love pink.

18. Boo Baby

Boo Baby New Member

hahah girly girl much? =P

I am actually considering buy a friends flowerhorn pair which are pretty close to hot pink! lol :thumbup:

19. BBQ_69

BBQ_69 Member

So after a bit over a year with a 4ft tank the upsizing bug has hit :) I'm thinking 6-8ft but are there any sort of gotchas when going up to this size?
    Still lots to look into and read up on however any do's and dont's from the experts is always appreciated.

20. broccoli

broccoli Member

Check that you can get it into your house, and check that your floors will support it?