General RC Discussion

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by deanx0r, Dec 26, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Reaper

Reaper Member

Thought I'd get around to sharing what a high level drift chassis looks like. :)

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l186/mv75/RC/DSC00045.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l186/mv75/RC/DSC00044.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l186/mv75/RC/DSC00043.jpg

It started out as my tb03, which I hopped up quite a lot during the inital build. I then found out that you just can't really work a gt and a drift car, one or the other, so I went drift. I got some super driftechs and went for it.

I got heap of other hop ups here and there, I then found out they made a tb03-d, so I got the parts to turn it into one of those, which mainly was new suspension ends which narrowed the vehicle.

I also got some spacer sets and replaced all of the plastic spacers on the car with aluminium ones, which as it turns out, is what you do with the new tb03-r, but anyway, one day I see this drift chassis, far superior to the 3 racing bog standard layout carbon chassis, so I bought the eagle racing V2 setup. Freaking cheap as, it was like $90 or so shipped.

This chassis turned it into a front motor mounted, truely drift specific chassis. This was made before the tb03-vds came out, so that's why I don't have one of those. But I dig the extended steering and the fiber upper deck. And finally, I then upgraded the shocks, C hubs, front knuckles and rear carriers to aluminium too. Plus I got the counter steering kit that only works with this chassis too. Right now is riding on Raikou dxpe wheels.

And yes, I'm still not finished yet, couple more things I want.

So what did I do with all the left over parts? Why, I'm building another tb03 for touring. :) The only major thing I really needed was the tb03 parts C bag. Got that and a few other bits here and there, I'm now just waiting on a rear 1xd suspension mount, new shell and a servo+esc to come. I already have a 4 pole 5400kv motor ready to go.

2. matto20v

matto20v Member

Your wiring looks a bit messy. Might want to start a project to clean that up by having wires the correct length, and without joiners (and heat shrink) along the wire.

3. RAtSAcK

RAtSAcK Member

Eh. Looks like my TT01. :p

4. Reaper

Reaper Member

Yea, the motor ones are on my to do list. The wire from the esc could be shorter. I'm keeping the bullets though as it means an easier motor swap. But that's actually a little food for though, as the sensored motors do tend to have tabs, so that would mean soldering anyway. So I might actually get rid of the bullets on the esc wires and go back to a direct connect.

For the battery, I'm keeping the short ec5 adapter so it's easier to swap battery types between bullet and direct wired. :) The current battery setup has the bullets at the front, so when it's plugged in, it's shorter and flatter. It itself is fine. Usually I'd have the bullets at the rear of the vehicle, but the top deck interfers a little, plus it's not in danger of frontal high speed impacts.

The other wire there (the bunch of red/white/black) and the servo wire, actually goes to a light box on the shell. So while it may look messy there, it's actually not. I've just tucked it in there while taking the pics. I've got the main length all strapped together flat and neat. :)

The best bit was being able to strap the cap to the upper deck. That was such a bugger, I could never find a good place for the thing until now. That top deck is great. :)

BTW: This is where to buy the chassis:

http://broadtechonlineshop.com/eagleshop/shop/ShopProductDetail.aspx?id=3851V2

That site is great. They have a huge range of stuff that is a fantastic alternative to ebay. Plus I choose ems shipping and it arrives within a week. :)

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  5. lupin

lupin Member

Nice to see someone else spending money on hop ups.

Are you setting it up for counter steer now that its a dedicated drifter.

6. SenorGrande

SenorGrande Member

I know cars are pretty popular here but today I added this baby to my fleet:

Its a ParkZone Ultra-Micro F4U Corsair. It joins the ranks my on mini J3 cub, spitfire, C182, F9F-2 Panther and a couple o gliders. Flew it today and was really impressed with how docile it is. I don't like fast flyers all that much (mainly because I am still fairly new to the hobby), even my cub (only got a 690mm wingspan) is a bit too quick for my field since the motor and battery upgrade I did. The Corsair by comparison was so slow and predictable I could put it into a left or right bank and just circle around and around with a bit of back stick. Luckily there was no wind this evening, I don't think it would handle all that well in any kind of breeze as it only weighs ~41g:

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

7. 0M39A_1337

0M39A_1337 Member

looks alright. mate has a street jam ota-r31, now thats a nice dedicated drifter.

how do you have the diffs set up? front one way?

8. Reaper

Reaper Member

Thanks guys. I hoped someone here would appreciate it. :)

Countersteer, yep, I got the eagle racing CS gears in it. You need this chassis to run them as they replace the front drive shaft end, which in this chassis, when you transplant the tb03 running gear over, you reverse the main drive line which then puts the front drive end into the rear gearbox. Also the CS ring gears (there's a +1 and +2 in the set, I'm using the +2 which gives the higher CS ratio), need to be on a ball diff. I found a method that works perfectly for locking the ball diff so it acts exactly the same as a spool. And it's 100% reversable. :)

And yep, Tamiya front one way. So effectively It's a spool in the rear, one way in front.

The only thing now is more driving practice. :) I've been through many different setup combos in the vehicle, (mostly suspension related), I finally got it how I want it to drive :)

9. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

From Bunnings?

10. lupin

lupin Member

Had my drifter out on track and took a little short vid.

More to come at a later date.

11. olie

olie Member

Since there seems to be interest in planes here.

I picked up this beauty Thursday last week.
    [​IMG]

Its a 3D Hobbyshop 48" Edge 540.
    Omega 960Kv 130g motor
    Castle Ice-lite 50A esc
    HiTec HS-65MG's all round
    Spektrum AR7000 reciever.

Another pic of her getting stickered up:
    [​IMG]

12. RAtSAcK

RAtSAcK Member

I just order it off the net because of where I live but I know Toy World normally has it. Most hobby shops will probably have it as well.

13. 0M39A_1337

0M39A_1337 Member

new bearings for my sc10, t4 and slash arrived today. just waiting on a new idler gear for the sc10 that should arrive tomorrow and it will be back on the road. cant wait to test my new motor out!

[edit]

i also currently have zap-a-gap medium at the moment. think i bought it from my local hobby store out of impulse as i knew i didnt have any ca glue at the time. probably paid far to much, lol.

14. okisub

okisub Member

Veeeeeery nice!

What size pack does that run on?

15. olie

olie Member

~2100-2260mah 3s 60C at this stage, I may go a smaller prop and a 2100mah 4s in the future if the ESC loading is too high.

Luckily its all loggable, so I can check temperatures after each flight.

16. apsilon

apsilon Member

Hope someone can help me remember the brand of a 540 motor that used to be sold here 10 - 15 years ago. It was an Australian based brand, OZ something IIRC. grey can, gold end bell, green label. May have had the outline of Australia on the label.

Sound familiar to anyone?

17. olie

olie Member

Carbon Fibre Spinner and Vox 14x7 Prop arrived today.

Its starting to look good now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. SenorGrande

SenorGrande Member

Nice plane Olie. I wish I was game enough to buy a nice balsa/ply plane and actually fly it - only my gliders are constructed so, the rest of my planes are foamies of varying types. I've finally gotten to the point where I don't crash much anymore :lol: so maybe one day I'll get a nice balsa/ply. BTW which Spektrum TX are you using (assuming you are)?

19. proffesso

proffesso Member

yeah, they had a variety orange can / label etc, just your usual rebrand. pretty rare though as they were domestic market only.

20. olie

olie Member

I'm still using the DX7 I bought back in 2007. Its solid as a rock and everything is second nature to me on it. So I don't think i'll be changing it anytime soon.