German sausages in Melbourne? (and pretzels?)

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Jackolow, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Jackolow

Jackolow Member

I returned from Germany a couple of weeks ago and I am really craving sausages. Does anyone know any good delis which sell german sausages? Theres a specific one which is a white sausage that they cooked in a broth I had in Stuttgart. I'd prefer something in SE suburbs but I'm willing to drive.!

Also does anyone know of any good places to get pretzels in SE Melb?

For those who need it, I acknowledge the unintentional homosexual undertones of this request. : \

cheers!

2. death

death Member

try the Prahran Market the 220 bus and 219 and 216 go there (the 220 directly and the other 2 within walking distance). close to prahran station on sandringham line.

3. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

OP sounds like he is after weissewerst (sp?). As already mention Prahran or Vic markets are your best bet.

4. AngelMoo

AngelMoo Member

There's a Polish deli in Springvale, I'm not sure if they have what you want but they do have some good sausages - Batory, shop 8 308 Springvale Rd (near safeway) they're closed Monday and Sunday though.

Edit:
    Their business card says they have this stuff

5. dafrizz

dafrizz Member

They are called Weisswurst.

Originally from Munich, but now found in many parts of Germany.

They're already cooked, so you only reheat them in hot water, do not boil them.

Traditionally eaten with a Pretzel and sweet mustard, plus a Weissbier (Hefeweizen). Remove the skin before eating them. They are normally eaten as a late breakfast and should not hear the mid morning church bells (11am). In other words a beer before 11am ;-)

6. Indiana08

Indiana08 Member

If you are up for a small drive, there is a place in Hoppers that sells all kinds of German Sausages -

http://www.wurstman.com.au/

I can personally recommend these, as a fellow German, they are actually very good. I think they also sell Laugenbretzeln, but I have never tried these so not sure how good these are...