Godox AD200 Talk

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by FranchiseJuan, Apr 24, 2017.

1. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

So how many of you have gotten your units already? I have not really had a serious shoot with them yet, but I have been testing, and it seems with direct flash in a Bowens standard (umbrella) reflector that the flash head is more powerful than the bare bulb (by almost a stop). This was measured with my trusty light meter.

I am like WTH? The bare bulb should be less powerful right? What are your experiences so far?

BTW, The included light stand adaptor is complete and utter rubbish. Do not use.

2. aln

aln Member

No idea about power from the two heads. :paranoid: I'd be using the fresnel head for most of the work.

The light stand adapter looked pretty sturdy to me, better than other ones I have seen. What light stand adapter would you be using instead?

I'll probably be using mini ball heads instead of light stand adapters.

3. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

I am using This adaptor.

It is not the stand adaptor that is bad, but the bolt that needs to be screwed in, is either too loose or I can't get it off.

4. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Strange, i have the same adapter with my tt685 and works fine, will be squeezing the AD200 in when mine arrives

5. humanrace

humanrace Member

I think that is correct - the fresnel head is directional light and therefore brighter. The benefit of barebulb is filling modifiers evenly

I have only used it once - the portability is awesome.

TBH i havent tried the umbrella adapter - will be using the s type bracket

6. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

I don't mean the S mount adaptor is bad, I mean the one that comes with the AD200 is bad as you have to screw a bolt into the AD200 then mount it onto the included stand, and after it almost falling off it twice I gave up trying to use it.

7. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

I normally second shoot for my friend and hold the light for his shoots. I'm really looking forward to not having to hang the AD360 battery around my neck when holding the light haha

Here is his very quick initial review:

http://mickporter.com.au/blog/godoxad200weddings

He did mention to me that the head feels a bit bigger than the AD360 and might be a tight squeeze in the S bracket. Either way, very keen on shooting with it :)

8. humanrace

humanrace Member

its a small world!

the AD200 is tight in the s type bracket. but it fits so all good. There were rumours that it wouldnt, and that the bracket needed to be modified. Cheetah stand sells modified versions I think to the US market. Luckily it fits though.

There are rumours that godox are working on a version which holds 2 AD200s - im not sure exactly how it will work though given that 2 of them are larger then the bowens mount unless the entire flashes are within the modifier - which would only be suitable for softboxes

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  9. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

haha yeah, I pointed him to your facebook post ;)

He was keen on getting one but was a little hesitant since he already had the 360. But the portability was hard to ignore!

10. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

They could just make a head that is the bare bulb and connects to two units like they did with the AD600. Or better yet. They could make a connector for the portable AD600 bead that connects to two AD200s. That would be good.

11. humanrace

humanrace Member

12. Psyentist

Psyentist Member

Finally pulled the trigger on one of these :)

13. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

did a couple of shoots with the ad200 - more than enough power to fill the small softbox i used, even outdoors but not fully against the sun
    So portable and after a variety of shots power wise barely half used

14. Phreeky

Phreeky Member

I've used mine a fair bit. The S braket works great, I taken off the rubber bit and replaced it with some tape and it works a treat.

I find powerful enough outdoors when doing singlet subjects but when back a bit I need to let the sun set just a tiny bit.

Using some gels I brought online for colour correction.

Overall I'm stoked with it :D

15. humanrace

humanrace Member

I bought a couple of S brackets years ago and they fit the AD200 without any modification. I bought another recently and had to modify that one to fit. I was wondering why everyone couldn't get theirs to fit until I got the new one!

16. Michael H

Michael H Member

17. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

Oh man I am ordering this as soon as I get home. Why does Kayell not have this in stock right now.

18. Michael H

Michael H Member

The reviewer got one of the first copies, even Adorama does not have stock yet. It will take a few weeks to get through the retail channels.

19. Michael H

Michael H Member

20. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member