Godox AD200 Talk

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by FranchiseJuan, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Michael H

Michael H Member

I am finding EBay delivery times are terrible.

2. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

Here shows in stock in Australia. Should only take a week or so to get to me. Now the only questions is, should I get one or two of these? I have two AD200s right now, but from what I can see is that this is better than the Bowens bracket that I have right now.

3. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

I just saw that there was a AD-L. When did that come out? I want to get one of those too, but I have no idea how much power the LED lights in the AD-B2 is, and if that is enough if I want to use those as my LED lights.

After all this I might have to get another battery for the AD200. I only have 3 total across two lights, but if I get all these other things, I might be using these lights a lot more.....

4. NNotNENN

NNotNENN Member

Haha yeah Godox seem to be pumping these products out!

Love the AD200 but haven't got around to grabbing a softbox adapter for mine and now wondering if I spring for the AD-B2 instead as it looks like it has a few advantages even when just using one AD200.

I'm sure Godox are probably guilty of a bit of patent infringement but damn if they aren't putting in a heap of good features that I am really starting to love (e.g. t.1 flash duration on display, wireless triggering/power control built in that 'just works', buttload of ports if you need em, good mounting options).

5. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

After the latest round of accessories came out, I been thinking that this (AD200) is probably the most versatile lighting equipment I have owned. If I get the LED attachment, it can be my video light, my on location light, my studio light (with the AD-B2) and hair light in studio on a boom arm.

What they really need now is an AC attachment/converter and I might have to go and get a couple more AD200.

At the moment I will probably get one each of the AD-B2 and AD-L to test, and see how I go.

I have also been thinking what to do studio lighting wise, since I have 4 Bowens 500W heads, but Bowens is going out of business and I am starting to worry about support down the track.

Edit: Well I purchased one each of the AD-B2 and AD-L. Let see how I go with those.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  6. Michael H

Michael H Member

It was announced a month or two ago.

Back to eBay, stating the stock is in Australia is often false. Although one of the tell-tale signs is not there on that item. If you look at additional postage cost and express post says $99, it is almost certainly not in Australia.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  7. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

That is sometimes the case, but I have had stuff posted to me that was definitely posted from Aus (Australian post mark and return address) and they showed express postage as almost $100. In any case I already ordered it, as with discount codes it works out to be much cheaper than Kayell, who don't have stock right now anyway.

8. Michael H

Michael H Member

9. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

WTF. Why would anyone want one of those?

10. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

Hmm shock protection? :lol:

11. NNotNENN

NNotNENN Member

After putting a couple of my old flashes up for sale and seeing the 'damage' that rubbing against each other in my bag has done (you know, the type that doesn't affect anything but tightarses love to point out when bargaining! :lol:), I can kind of see the appeal...

After trying to squeeze the magmod adapter onto one, I can't imagine these being all that easy to get on though!

12. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

This... These things barely fit into a modified Bowens adaptor as is. How would it go if you had the case on it?

The two items I ordered have been posted. Lets see how long they take to get here.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  13. Michael H

Michael H Member

I did call it bling. The only reason I can think of besides bling, is some protection for the flash. We have them for camera lens, mobile phones and tablets.

14. Michael H

Michael H Member

I use the Phottix Cerberus not the Godox Bowens adapter. The Phottix is higher quality and has more adjustment room, a AD200 with a skin will not be a tight fit.

15. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

[​IMG]

So it actually arrived last night, but something about dragons....

Only had a quick play so far:
    - Still has that stupid click pivot
    - A little heavier than I expected.
    - A little concerned about hanging the AD200 out the back without some kind of support
    + Much better fit with Bowens light modifiers
    + Seems to be a little less light loss due to adaptor leak
    + Fells pretty well made actually.

Might do some further testing tomorrow if I have time. Not got a shoot booked that I can use this on for at least a little while.

The LED light head has still not arrived. Must be coming from China.

16. Michael H

Michael H Member

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  17. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

Thanks for the link. The main issue for me with the pivot is not the actual clicking, but the handle which always gets in the way. I may have to go down to bunnings and replace the handle with something more compact.

I am most likely to get another one of the AD-B2. It works well, and has a much better Bowens mount than the regular flash Bowens adaptor.

Then again, I am considering selling all my Bowens flash heads and getting AD600 instead....

18. Michael H

Michael H Member

It needs a handle like the Manfrotto Lite Tite 206, you can move the handle position using a racket style system, that does not change the position of the tightened nut.

http://thedocaus.com/blog/?page_id=6021

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  19. Psyentist

Psyentist Member

20. Michael H

Michael H Member

Phottix Spartan (there are 2 sizes) or the SMDV Speedbox (Alpha versions are a bit bigger).

The Spartan is a beauty dish/soft box combination. It can be setup 3 ways. It is decent quality, but not top of the line, but much better than cheap Chinese stuff. Comes with grid.

The SMDV Speedbox is faster to set up, but the mechanism to open and shut can be difficult on occasions.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017