Guild Wars 2

Discussion in 'MMOs' started by Warpy, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Warpy

Warpy Member

[​IMG]

There will be no monthly fee associated with Guild Wars 2 to keep up the tradition of Guild Wars. Mike O'Brien has stated that expansions or mini-expansions are more likely than standalone campaigns, but a final decision hasn't been made yet.

Guild Wars 2 will be written to run on computers with mid-range gaming specifications, but will have higher requirements than Guild Wars. The original Guild Wars will continue to be supported after release of Guild Wars 2. This will include continued holiday events and tournaments.

Screenshots: Here
    Game FAQ's: Here
    Predicted Release Date: Q4 2010 / Q1 2011

GC 2009: Guild Wars 2 - First Details and Q&A
    Guild Wars 2 wiki

Latest Trailer http://games.on.net/file/36174/Guild_Wars_2_Manifesto_Trailer

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2012
  2. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

its very far away. release date that is.

normal guild wars got boring for me after nigthfall. :rolleyes:

then again all i do is PVP :S

3. Warpy

Warpy Member

I agree, after Nightfall I too was bored and I had over 700 hours playtime. The game lost it's appeal, I still think its excellent but for me I played it too much and I think that's what killed it for me.

4. Desert_Runner

Desert_Runner Member

Apparently this one is supposed to have a persistent world. I hope they manage to do something great with it. I've never like the monthly fees associated with most MMO's.

5. methodman213

methodman213 Member

This one is on my list - if u get to pick the Charr as selectable users. :thumbup:

I just hope its less "instance" and more open, that would really make it something and i think will draw alot of people. We know the gfx will be superb, hell GW1 atm looks awsome as it is.

Although the story line says all foes come together to fight as one, i personally think an opvp dynamic would be sublime in this type of game.

gaaaaah

:thumbup:

Cheers,
    PW

6. sthpaw

sthpaw Member

oh my, i still play guild wars everyday and still love it, been doing mostly PvE and just recently had a taste of PvP and had 4,200 hrs of play time.

7. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

I'll only grab GW2 if it's NOTHING like the first one. Don't get me wrong, I own all chapters of Guild Wars, clocked up something like 700 hours, 9 characters etc, but the GW engine is make shift & broken, in that most of it doesn't make sense, or has stupid logic that flows through the game in a very poor manner. Lucky there are several things that the game does have going for it, but unfortunately the fantastic things the game has are constricted by the bad.

With that, I'm not gonna rush out and buy GW2, but wait until I've read what the general vibe of it is. Below are just a few things that peeve me...

A character level system that caps at a random number, mixed with some weird numbered attribute system, with a "fake" market system, and random drops, you can forget it. What's worse is the "design on the run" factor too. I hated how "patched" the whole first Guildwars feels.

"Levels" should have died with 2d scrolling games like Super Mario Bros, let alone be incorporated into game play and character development. And random drops? Please, firstly, why the fuck would monsters drop money, or some random item or weapon that it wouldn't be carrying, sometimes even incredibly rare.

I know it's a make believe world, but a little realism never hurts. If I kill a monster, I want to salvage the fur of it's back. If I'm stalking a soldier, it'll be cause he's carrying a kick arse sword that I want. Returning to town with goods that I've specifically sourced, that carry a value THROUGH THE ENTIRE GAME... that's what I wanna do.

*sigh*

Don't even get me started on "Ghost" towns. What a stupid idea for a game.

/rant

Anyway, I got some missions from Guildwars to finish. :) Back to it!

8. methodman213

methodman213 Member

I agree with you on some points there, especially on the monsters dropping monies/rare items and the non existence market system (i dont think so anyway).

This might be way out there, but a f2p game...the items i doubt will ever be of any value, because people can take their sweet arse time to figure out a build for a certain area and farm till the cows come up in their own instance and get that item i.e. a higher chance then your other p2p mmo, you dont have a subscription on your back to slow you down. Add ontop of that most collectors/item makers can craft equivalent of end game items, i dont think the intentions of the game was based around that. Check PVxWiKi and they list equivalents within their builds.

Do you remember how much Totem Axe's used to go for? You would be lucky to get 1k to 2k out of it now if one even drops (if your trying to make a quick buck for armour purchases :thumbup:). Personally, the game is more based on how your toon is built, then having armour/weapons. Which i feel negates the market system/importance of items etc. I am crap at PVP in GW (the games main selling point), regardless both PVP and PVE is based around that attribute system and how you manipulate this system to achieve your purpose.

E.g. what do we see at the entrance to the Underworld? Assassins/Ele's just standing there and popping in individually. One toon, in normal mode in higher area's gets a crap load of stuff. Add ontop of that doing HM...

/me rand but with no coffee so most of this wont make sense.

Other the other hand you bring up some good points there that i agree with, which i hope will be addressed in GW2. Here's hoping it will be more open world, items mean something (for more than the first 6 months of the game) and are of value and a true market system. Would auction houses work in an environment like GW2? I doubt it - how will they sell item/skill packs through micro transactions then.

Cheers
    PW

9. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

I'll definitely be getting it. Looks promising.

10. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

I had a bit of a read up on GW2 on the wiki. To be honest, it sounds way too disjointed and to similar to the original to hold any interest from myself. Too many strange races that I simply don't care about.

IMO, it appears too complicated and they're going off on queer tangents again.

11. Arachnadactly

Arachnadactly Member

No monthly fees again and pretty ambiguous as to the level caps. But I will be on board for sure. A lot of races come from the final addon which was eyeof the north. Although the Slyvani will be a new race altogether.

12. Warpy

Warpy Member

Yeah, but will it be instance based like GW1? I heard that's why there was no monthly fee.

13. Nian

Nian Member

I have all of the GW too but I just can't bring myself to play it much. I think the main issue isn't the engine or character types. My biggest gripe is the severe lack of equipment you can get.

I like to collect different armour, just so I can do different things and the like, different stats. But for GW, you can easily get the MAX stat armor and once you have that the only armor left to get are all about the looks and have no impact on game play. I hate that, its lazy and personally makes it a non-mmo to me.

Same for the weapons, I mean MEH how the hell is it a good thing to have max stats on any equipment? So once I get X damage on a sword, I can never get higher? Wow how lame. Not only that but I can add the bonuses to it with prefix, suffix and rune word. Wow lame.

If GW2 doesn't have a hell of allot more equipment and random decent stats without a stat cap, maybe I will get it. As it is, if I want to f2p, I will play DDO.

14. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

I got turned off the moment they released GWEN and it was just a stupid title farm to prolong the game.

If i was that desperate to farm some titles i would activate some bots :rolleyes:.

The concept art for GW2 is a bit dull :/

15. Randy_Chuggs

Randy_Chuggs (Banned or Deleted)

Yep me too. I have 2 accounts which I no longer use. It annoys me that's there was nothing to do after Nightfall. Infact, I didn't even finish Nightfall or Factions properly. I still had 3000~ hours between my accounts

16. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

I never finished Nightfall... there just wasnt anyone in the final areas of GW to finish those campaigns in pub.

The furthest i got was Gates of Torment or whatever, jumped through that hole in the northern part of the map chasing ghosts.

Then it got really boring because the town was huge, and always had like 2 AFK people around.

:rolleyes:

17. Frozen454

Frozen454 Member

I finished Nightfall and it was actually a good campaign, I'm looking forward to GW2 and hope it doesn't turn into a WoW clone or anything gimmicky, just add better things to an already good game. I really like the skill bar and system too so I hope they don't change that too much.

18. Slith

Slith Member

Its defiantly not going to be a wow clone. Arenanet have stated that just like the original it will be anti grind.

Also one of the founders of Arenanet have said the that there has been so many failed wow clones.

19. Alpha2k6

Alpha2k6 Member

Read something about the Charr beeing playable charactars.. seems wierd that the charr isnt on the other side.. lets hope they dont mess this one up.

Dungeon Siege was imho really great, had superior graphics compared to most stuff at the time, and one of the first wich you could move the camera while playing..
    IMHO they bungled the 2nd one with releasing abut the same graphics and possibly a worse interface years later.

NeverWinter Nights the first one was great. While the 2nd felt akward and also it was laggy while not really having that great graphics.. not sure why game companies must go and change a winning concept.. sometimes all that is needed is more of the same with new places and updated graphics.

While GuildWars was awesome for about 4 weeks.. it got a bit repititive and the world didnt feel so free.. it was like most of the time you where just following a path of going from A ---> B.. instead of having many choises.
    But the graphics like the charr monsters and the water etc.. was awesome when it was released :)

Looking forward to what they make of this sequel, and hoping they don't bungle it like alot of other sequels.

20. Frozen454

Frozen454 Member

The first Guild Wars series isn't really an MMO, it's a Co-Op RPG based around team play.

I hope the classes for GW2 don't change too much, it'd be nice tokeep some of the niche classes from the game like the Ritualist or Dervish, I love my Dervish!