Hardware raid vs software raid?

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Morbis, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Morbis

Morbis Member

So I've finally decided to be a bit more organised with my data and set up a bigger raid 10 array to replace a few raid 1 arrays. The oldest of these raid 1 arrays is from 2008 and still going strong (500Gb), but for simplicity's sake, I just want one big one that the wife and kids can access easily.

I was just curious as to which method people use these days to control the array. Using a windows raid controller is apparently much better than it used to be, and makes it easy to move the array from one windows machine to another (e.g. when upgrading). Using the controller in the motherboard is simple too, and I believe the Intel controllers let you move the array just as easily from one machine to another (assuming both use adequate Intel chipsets).

So other than keeping newbs out of bios, does one have any advantages over the other? Are they both easily scalable if I want to add more drives later? I've decided I won't buy a raid card. It seems unnecessary for what I'm doing.

2. zeeps

zeeps Member

I don't know the answer but check out this thread.

3. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

4. Morbis

Morbis Member

Wow, I thought I knew shit until I read that. Maybe I am the noob that manufacturers have to babysit afterall.

Thanks for the links guys, I definitely appreciate it.

5. 2_stroke

2_stroke Member

Mirror? I use to run them until I looked at the reads and writes and the flooging the disks took. Moved to a raid 5 then went for unraid, not selling unraid but for Home users not after write speed and some what read its perfect for nas use and now offers daul redundancy drives so raid 1 on redundancy.

Real raids for speed and were needed but for movies and home storage software is the best bang for buck imo only. I run raid 0 ssds for gaming machines, all comes down to what your application is and requirements, oh budget at the end of the day.

6. neRok

neRok Member

Was that with windows raid? I use it in my PC, just in case of HDD failure, not for any performance reasons. It would be pretty silly if the intent was to prevent hdd failure, but at the same time it was killing them faster :p