Headphone/Earphone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 3, 2009.

1. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

Though it would be handy to get a thread setup where people can ask for advice in a consolidated thread. It should save some searching and allow users that frequent this section to share their knowledge and experiences.

Otherwise post it in the What/Where to buy section of the forum.

[​IMG]

Thanks all :thumbup:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  2. Whisper

Whisper Member

The best headset to get that is under $200 and makes all the others look ordinary, is the Beyerdynamic DT234 Pro's

All the other gaming headsets sound crap compared to them for "most" people, so long as the sound source is good, moreover, considering what most people are prepared to spend, are being massively over charged for said crap gaming headsets. That is to say, at half-the price, they would probably still be a rip off!

To put it another way, 99.99% of people who get to listen to a pair of Beyerdynamic DT234 Pro's after using their <insert expensively overpriced crap gaming head brand name model here> kick themselves for wasting their money.

That being said, you can get better headphones for the same price as the Beyerdynamic DT234 Pro's, and then add a clip on microphone.

That is all.

3. jcady81

jcady81 Member

Does any one have the Sennheiser CX 380 canalphones? How do you like them? How do they rate besides the Shure SE110s? Any other canalphones I should be looking at besides those two and the Vsonic R02-Pro?

The important thing is they can last at least a year under reasonable conditions (ie don't need to be handled with kid gloves), and have good clear crisp sounds (bass isn't overly important cause the music I listen to doesn't centralise itself around the bass)

Looking around the $100 mark

4. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

In terms of sound quality, the CX380 is the same as the CX300. Good, but not amazing.
    The biggest benefit of the CX380 is that they're designed to be compatible with sweaty people, so if you're sweaty, or are going to be sweating when using them, I'd recommend them.

The Shure SE110 has the advantage of offering the most isolation from outside noise for the price. Sound quality is probably a little above the CX300/CX380, but not greatly - namely they have a more well balanced sound with less boomy bass that results in clearer detail overall.

The Vsonic is the best sounding of the lot by a large margin, they really sound great for the price. I used to be hesitant to recommend the older R02Pro because of durability issues, despite sounding great, but the new R02Pro2 so far has been rock solid in terms of durability (but I don't know how they cope with excess sweat). Isolation levels aren't as high as the Shure, they're more around the Sennheiser levels.

5. itachi46

itachi46 Member

might be in the market for closed full-size can for about <150 bux. really after comfort and isolation. its going to be used on the road so sound quality doesnt need to be astounding...

currently using the ath-es7 loving it it just hurts after wearing for a few hours. hence why i want a full size.. isolation on these are fantastic

6. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

Most of your fullsize circumaural closed models are going to be pretty cumbersome.
    I'd say either the Sennheiser HD215 which are decent, or one of the new closed Sennheiser models that are due in soon - I don't know if they're any good yet, and I'm not holding my breath.

7. itachi46

itachi46 Member

cumbersome how? if you mean their not portable and stuff then thats not really an issue i have to bring with me a set of tower speakers with me i think a circumaural headphone is a piece of cake for me :p

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  8. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

Large, big, unwieldy, not small :)

9. itachi46

itachi46 Member

yeh thats not an issue :p the 2 12" speaker + horn is alot more "large,big,unwiedly, not small" than the hd215 :p

thanks i'll look around for places where i can audition them :)

10. Drubbing

Drubbing Member

The Vsonics cack all over the Cx300 and fart in their general direction. More robust as well.

11. Foos

Foos Member

I bought some of th HD215's from snuff last week.

Got them on now. They are brighter than I expected, clarity is pretty good, not great but ok. Had to get closed ones to avoid gf agro.

They are fairly comfy - no hard clamping, - no drama's

I still haven't hooked them up to a good source yet, just laptops x 2 - and they seem easy to drive.

Also they don't make my ears as over-toasty as my old phillips ones I had a few years ago with velour earpads :)

12. itachi46

itachi46 Member

do they look like htey can take a beating? because i'm going to use this at gigs and stuff and its inevitably going to get more wear than the average headphones.

13. rotamonkey

rotamonkey Member

damn wish i saw this yesterday just shelled out for the razer HP 1 hope they r ok

14. RoSWeLL

RoSWeLL Member

For Metal listeners, how do the AD700's fair? I've been thinking about them for a while now.

15. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

Clear, fast and detailed, but not authoritative or particularly impactful.
    I normally recommend the MS1 over the AD700 for rock/metal.

16. Foos

Foos Member

very plasticy.. but they are fairly solid - i'll have a play with them tonight and report back

17. itachi46

itachi46 Member

thanks currently using my ath-es7 and i dont want to get scratches on my shiny cans :upset:

18. Criminal_Colt

Criminal_Colt Member

*Whispers Snufkin Snufkin Snufkin*

So like, I was looking to buy new headphones but after having to go back to on-board sound there really wasn't any point until I upgraded the source.

I've now done that and am the proud owner of an ASUS Xonar Essence STX. So the STX has a dedicated driver for the headphones and whilst it says it supports headphones up to 600ohms I doubt that's totally true nor is it necessary that I go out and buy headphones rated at 600ohms.

Anyway, that's the background. I'm getting tax back so technically I could spend up to $900 on a pair of headphones but really I doubt that's going to happen. So sure, post some expensive phones up for comparison but that's really all. I'll probably settle for something around the $300 mark and $500-$600 only if there's a real tangible difference.

For reference I currently own a pair of DT234s and they are showing their age.

So far I've been recommended the DT440s and this is what I'll most likely stick to. Just wondering what's out there if I stretch the budget a bit and whether it's worth doing so considering the source.

I mainly listen to electronic/electroclash type stuff but also classical/punk/pop anything really but yeah...electronica is where it's at atm.

I've looked at the DT880 and they seem interesting but I'm just wondering how much better they'd really sound. A big + is added comfort as the 440s are supposedly uncomfortable after a while and the fact that they were previously the top of the range model can't hurt either. Then again, does that mean there's another model just around the corner that is significantly better? Also worried about the 250ohms and req. for amplification...how would this pan out in regards to the STX?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  19. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

There's a lot out there :)

If you want to go high end, the Alessandro MSPro.

Now while the STX does have "a headphone amp" it unfortunately isn't up there with a decent dedicated amp, which is what most "need an amp" headphones need. You'll get plenty of volume, but other sound characteristics won't be up to scratch unfortunately.

Other headphones will do just fine, though.

The DT440 is a great headphone for the price in terms of sound, but their comfort isn't as nice as some of the alternatives.

20. Criminal_Colt

Criminal_Colt Member

Yeah that's what I was worried about...+volume rather than real sound.

So when it comes to the crunch though are you saying I'll be missing out if I buy a pair of DT880s and drive them using the STX? Are there any alternatives around that price. I'm just worried about the 440's being uncomfortable because I'd wear them...lots. :upset:

You (or someone like you lol) also recommended the Ultrasone DJ1 a while back as an alternative to the 440's but I'm finding I like more 'neutral' headphones so 'big bass' and such would probably annoy me.

What I'm really looking for I guess is something like the 440s but comfortable and better sounding to offset the (assumed) higher price tag. Comfort is kinda a big deal to me.

Oh and an extra amp/drive is a no at this point...maybe one day.

P.S. Do you ever get sick of giving advice? lol!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009