Headphone/Earphone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 3, 2009.

1. BuZeR

BuZeR Member

Any recommendations for headsets (mainly used for gaming) to pair with my current Xonar D2?

From what I have been reading the Audio-Technica ATH-ADG1X seems to be the most recommended cans here. How do they compare to the ASTRO A40TR? As I have the Xonar I am assuming I wouldnt need the DAC or and Amp for the A40's?

Or should I just keep my current Creative Aurvana Live Headphones (around 5 years old) and just buy a boom mic? :confused:

2. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

The CAL is actually pretty good and decent and one of the few headphones on the market to have a biocellulose structured dynamic driver. It is quite old though but old doesn't mean less good. The ADG1X has a different sound presentation.

3. BuZeR

BuZeR Member

Thanks for the reply, I did Google biocellulose, very interesting tech. Thanks for the info :D The biggest issue I have with these headphones is that the PE leather is pealing from the head/ear pads. While not the best, I managed to salvage a set of earpads from some TB P11's (exactly the same diameter!) which happened to be laying around, so maybe they do have a bit more life left in them :thumbup:

I have also been doing a bit more research on the ADG1X. Is it fair to assume they are based on the ATH-AD700X or the ATH-AD900X? From what I could read the ATH-AD700X appears to be a less superior headset, the limitations actually are more suited to gaming. So it makes sense that the ADG1X is based on this cheaper version.

Assuming that they are based on the ATH-AD700X, are the ADG1X worth the extra $100? Seems a ATH-AD700X with a mic mod and some cable sleeving would be a cheaper alternative. Or am I missing something?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  4. Suopermanni

Suopermanni Member

I heard it is based off the Ad900x but I could be wrong. It certainly uses the AD900x pads. That much I know for certain.

5. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

From what I know based off my Japanese sources the ADG1X is similar to the AD900X but with a slightly different tuned driver. The sound balance leans more towards the old AD900 which isn't far off to the revised AD900X then it is to any of the AD700 family headphones.

6. BuZeR

BuZeR Member

Thanks for the advice! I'm in Canberra at the moment so no places I can pick a set of ADG1s up besides JBHifi (399!). Gave them a ring and they were happy to pricematch PCCaseGear at 279, so happy with that. Not s good as the $239 deal they had the other month, but close enough.

I'll try get out to JB and pick them up today. Will post back with my thoughts soon. Hopefully i don't end up needing an amp..

7. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

I think you'll enjoy them. Plenty of good earpad alternatives for your CAL which takes a huge hit to the sound quality once the default pleather pads flake and wear out.

8. BuZeR

BuZeR Member

Really enjoying the ADG1X (Open cans) so far, JBHifi also let me pick them up for $239 :D

There are only two real negatives I have identified so far, but both relatively minor. First one was that the bottom of the drivers were pushing into my face a little too much, but bending the rods slighty out by hand fixed that issue. The only other niggle is that the mic does not sit flush when in the upright (out of the way) position. As such it is looming in my peripheral vision and is a little distracting.

Think it will take a few days for me to adjust to the lightness of the headphones. Almost feels like they are about to fall off my head - but think that is more of a reflection of how tight my old ones were.

But more importantly first impressions are the sound quality is noticeably clearer. Both when set the music or playing PUBG (only one I have tried so far). Also I don't think they need an amp, happy with the volume output and currently have them on around 30% when listening to music.

Thanks Matthew and Suopermanni for the input, made the process easier :)

9. mixsetup

mixsetup Member

10. ska'

ska' Member

Picked up some Audio-Technica ATH-R70x's this morning.

Loaded up the calibration with sonarworks software package, instantly prefer the sound signature coming from long term use of AKG K702's..

Bloody good!!! Driving them very easily with my Audio GD NFB- 5.2 DAC / AMP.

11. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

do headphones that use either 3.5mm OR Bluetooth exist? I'm using an old ipod that uses 3.5mm, but i want to also sometimes connect to my IP7 (without the cable)

12. Copie

Copie Member

Qc35's.....

13. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

omg.. how the hell did i not realise that. Thanks!

14. Rollsta

Rollsta Member

Morning all!

After a "black theme/coloured" BLUETOOTH/WIRELESS headset with a stick out mic.

Black themed because I need to be able to use it for work in the office as well but as a second bonus to use for home/gaming.

Budget is up to $250.

What options do I have?
    So far I am considering Logitech G533, Corsair Void and Turtle Beach 520.

Thanks

15. connico

connico Member

I'd say save more and get the Sennheiser momentum 2.0 :)

16. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Except it doesn't have a stick out mic.

17. MaximusSmurf

MaximusSmurf Member

Do the plantronics backbeat things? I think they do. Office works sells them. And maybe jb hifi.

18. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

19. coolroy

coolroy Member

Anyone here with experience of the Steelseries 840 Headsets.

I am aware of the changes between the 800 & 840 but wanted to hear real life experience of any OCAU users rather than the paid for reviews you find online.

The 840's are not anywhere here in Perth for sale other than JBhifi who want $500 for them which is ridiculously overpriced compared to eastern seaboard shops...:eek:

If not the 840's I might wait for the new Razer Threshers ....no solid eta on those in Perth or Australia at large that I can tell?

20. fcyde

fcyde New Member

Any recommendations for a noise cancelling headphone? primarily for use for travel.

Currently thinking of getting the Bose QC35 or QC25. Anything cheaper that is good value?