Help me choose a pair of canalphones

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by antikk, May 2, 2012.

1. connico

connico Member

I break canal headphones all the time, maybe once a year. So i tend to stick to anything under 100 bucks.

Currently using Vsonic GR02 which have been pretty durable for me.

It all depends on budget. Just make sure you get comfortable plugs.

2. antikk

antikk Member

Ordered a pair of M2's, when I get back i'll compare them to my $40 Philips lol

3. mareke

mareke Member

They were the first one the Sony MDR-E818LP. Sensitivity is 108 DB, Frequency response 12 - 22,000 Hz which is not bad for $8.95 speakers. Comparing the sound with a far more expensive set of Sennheiser earphones I have the $8.95 headphones sound better to me. The Sennheiser may have a tiny bit more bass but the bass sounds woolly to me whereas the sound in the $8.95 ones is clearer and the bass is very good. The overall quality of the sound in each is very close so the $8.95 earphones are far better value. It would have been 5 or 6 months ago that I bought them and according to the JB Hi-Fi website they don't sell them any more. The cheap models that are comparable all look to have a much shorter pipe leading off the part that fits in your ear which suggests they would have inferior sound particularly bass. The length of the pipe in the $8.95 earphones is actually slightly longer and thicker than in the Sennheisers.

4. Comma

Comma Member

Frequency response is an utterly useless specification if it does not have any other information attached to it.

So what if it can reproduce 12Hz, what accuracy? -30 dB? Being able to make a sound is different from being able to make a sound as intended...

5. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

$8.95 of awesome says you're wrong.

6. mareke

mareke Member

I mainly go by what headphones sound like but I look at the specifications as well. The sensitivity figure is one I like to check. The higher the better is what I've found. In the past I've always believed that the more you pay the better the sound will be and in the main I've found this to be true but I was pleasantly surprised by the sound with the $8.95 headphones. I've got 3 pairs (2 spares and the ones I'm currently using) and I'm glad I had the presence of mind to buy the extra ones when I realised how good the sound was for the price. I also have $80 ones but the $8.95 ones sound better to me.

7. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

And thats all that matters.

/thread

8. Comma

Comma Member

My statement was a purely quantitative one. One that takes away any subjective exposure and preference to sound.

I could use a analogy perhaps?

A frequency response such as that listed, outside the 20-20kHz range, is about as useful as saying "10% more bass".

10% more bass than what?

9. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

10% more bass than than other similarily priced earphones obviously.

Even the 20-20k Hz is a load, majority of people can't hear that high can they?

10. Comma

Comma Member

10% more bass than a rock!

Standard hearing is generally accepted at 20-20kHz, so most things are rated for that anyway.

I'd say most 25 year olds would be tapering off at the 20kHz end around 14-16kHz and at the bottom around 30-50Hz

11. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Yeah. 20-20kHz (huh...20/20 for perfect eyesight, 20/20 for perfect hearing) is the reasonable absolute extents someon in their prime could hear. Obviously there would be a few outside those bounds, but the vast majority of people would be well within them, obvsiouly heavier tapering at the higher end than lower.

12. nalef

nalef New Member

13. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

Except it's a fake.