Homebrew.

Discussion in 'Geek Grog & Homebrew' started by Vindaloo, Feb 27, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Vindaloo

Vindaloo Member

I'm relaxing with a pint of Brewiser Pacific Draught homebrew I recently made. It's the shit. Anyone else here brew their own ?

Post recipes that you've tried and liked in the Homebrew Recipe and Ingredients Thread. PoMo EDIT: Also use the Recipe thread for discussion of proposed recipes and detailed discussions of ingredients.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2007
  2. Pete of Meat

Pete of Meat Member

Yes. A few blokes down here have a brewer's club. Every month, one guy has to put on a bunch of beers and food. It's tops.

3. Dilbert

Dilbert Member

hmm explosions

4. Iroquois

Iroquois Member

Yep we used to do it. We tried a few different stouts (easier to make) and they were all drinkable, except one of the brews turned out really really well, we aren't sure what we did right, but it was good stuff.

5. wildturkey

wildturkey (Banned or Deleted)

ahhh nothing beats a hairy, grunty homebrew :)

6. Rukkh

Rukkh Member

My chem lecturer made a point of not making it through one lecture without a 5min speil on the wonders of home brew...
    homebrew...now that would have been a cool chem prac..

7. mistergrister

mistergrister Member

A bloke I know in town made a batch of stout, once. Reckoned it tasted bloody awful.
    Anyway, when he moved house about six years later, he found this batch down the back of the shed.
    Reckoned it was the best damn stout he'd ever tasted ... compared it to something some bunch of Spanish monks brew ... (whatever - I'll assume they brewed up something pretty wild)
    It seems some things improve with age ... but I don't have that kind of patience :)

8. Pete of Meat

Pete of Meat Member

It's true, it does get better with age. 18 months in the bottle can make an ordinary beer great.
    But some people don't bottle at all; they siphon it into a keg, and run CO2 straight through it to carbonate.

9. rhythm flavour

rhythm flavour Member

Yeah beer ages similar to wine. I remember that hahn released a special millenium edition 750ml beer that came with a cork and all. The idea being that you can either drink it now, or keep it for a year or two and let the flavour slowly change into a much maltier flavour. Although from memory beer doesnt have the same storage life as a red wine would. All the more reason to drink it now! :D

Mike

10. stovo

stovo Member

Only some beers get better with age, such as homebrew and that Hahn Millenium Ale you spoke of. I believe this is because there is yeast left in the brew allowing it to continue to ferment, wheras commercial beers have most (if not all) of the yeast removed after fermentation to keep the taste regulated.

11. rhythm flavour

rhythm flavour Member

Stovo you would be correct. Its the same process it undertook to get to the stage of bottling it. They leave the yeast in there to continue reacting, therefore giving it that special taste. But only a select few beers do.

Mike

12. Rukkh

Rukkh Member

To my disgust i recently discovered kilkenny (irish beer) in a can actually has a useby date....i can tell you that certainly doesn't get better with age...

13. ilnabe

ilnabe Member

Can anyone post a link to a good "how to make home brew" site?

I've got a friend who makes Vodka.. or is making Vodka..
    I'm told its poisonous.. haha..

14. oinka2

oinka2 Member

wish i was 18:mad: :(

15. monkeymajik

monkeymajik Member

If he distilles it incorrectly (methanol instead of ethanol) it will be...it's also illegal :)

16. dink

dink Member

the hahn special vintage is an amazing brew. I had one the other week after it had been laying around for a good 18 months. ashame the only made it for 2 years. None this year :(

still got another bottle :D

17. ilnabe

ilnabe Member

Mmm... illegal moonshine..

The Rex Banner episode of The Simpsons has to be one of my all time fav's..

18. stovo

stovo Member

For the homebrew, heres two sites that have FAQ's, links and some directions:

http://www.bodensatz.com/homebrew/index.html
    http://realbeer.com/spencer/

If you are curious about some of the aspects of home distillation (which is ILLEGAL in Australia) heres a site that has some info on the processes and the saftey aspects. Apparently, even with a shitty brew, it would take 11 Litres before you go blind and retarded.

http://homedistiller.org/

19. dink

dink Member

this reminds me of the time i spent in india, about 2 1/2 years. Every week you'd read in the newspaper about how 12 villagers died because the drank madras moonshine or bathtub bourbon. just goes to show it is reallly poison.

20. Aziraphale

Aziraphale Member

Coopers is another brewed beer that tastes better the longer you leave it in the bottle, hence the cloudiness of their Pale Ale - it's left to brew in the stubbie.

Got a case of Coopers Vintage Ale last year and am going to wait at least eighteen months before I crack open a stubbie. Gave a six pack to my old man who drank them all straight away, I had one of them and they were pretty good but you could tell they would get better with age.

Coopers in the best reason for staying in South Australia I can think of.