Horse meat - Where?

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by psychobunny, Mar 6, 2017.

1. psychobunny

psychobunny Member

First up: No anti horse meat posts please, sure it is taboo, but so is beef and pork in other parts of the world, so if you don't like horse meat then don't eat it and go read something else.

So with Australia being a big exporter of horse meat, and the price per kg being so much cheaper than beef, I've been starting to consider replacing beef on the bbq with horse on the bbq.

Then I went to try and finds some and I have to say that due to the tabooness of it, nobody advertises that they have it which has not made it easy to find. So does anyone know where I can get some at a reasonable price (i.e. cheaper than beef)

2. mr626

mr626 Member

I'd imagine it would be something that you'd have to ask a local butcher for. A bit too far outside of mainstream to find at the Woolies deli :lol:

A butcher local to me can supply stuff like camel and alpaca meat, but it something that you have to specifically order.

3. NSanity

NSanity Member

Horse's do a *shitload* more than Cows.

Unless you're slowly cooking it (smoking, braising, etc) , enjoy leather.

4. oculi

oculi Member

You could try kangaroo, personally I think it tastes gross. you might not like horse so i'd try a small bit before buying a full side if I was in your (horse) shoes.

I would be surprised if it is cheaper than beef, report back when you find out.

5. mr626

mr626 Member

Definitely- I'd assume slow cooking is basically the only way to eat most horse meat.

6. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

RE: Horse Meat
    I'd be interested to know as well.

I'd like to host some sort of Meatstravaganza, where as many different animals as possible are sampled.

Roo is delicious when cooked properly, and terrible when cooks poorly. but it's no where near as cheap as it should be.

7. Revenge

Revenge Member

Something like a ZOO-B-Q ?

That would actually be pretty damn cool...

8. oculi

oculi Member

I want to like it and we should be eating it, but I just prefer cow. Especially for the relative prices.

9. PhantomAU

PhantomAU Member

10. Revenge

Revenge Member

Same...

I 'can' eat it if it is served, but I would always prefer a slab of cow over a piece of Australian leaping rat.
    My kids don't mind it though and that is probably a product of them eating it at an early age... we probably do it as burgers more than anything.

and yeah... the prices are freaking ridiculous considering roos are pretty much vermin in some parts.

11. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

I had raw horse meat in japan before. It's similar to beef. Was served with a raw egg and some dipping sauce. Wasn't too bad.

12. sanjay

sanjay Member

i learned the other day when cooking up some juicy roo steaks that my missus hates kangaroo. which is a shame, cos i love it. :(

this does just give me an excuse to get a proper BBQ outdoors though, and cook up a roo storm :D

13. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

I just can't find anywhere the stocks Long Pig.

So I googled Zoo-B-Q to find it if that sort of thing existed...

http://petsorfood.com/

I'd think Baby Seal would cost more than than $70... :)

14. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

I'd be fucking astounded if it ends up being cheaper than beef, OP, unless you're going out there and shooting a brumby yourself

15. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Go to the nearest Zoo or break into a farm property and steel a horse or alternatively ride it back home where you can butcher it for its meat. Personally I like zebra meat, taste great. I think I might try human meat next time a person gets on my shit list.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  16. psychobunny

psychobunny Member

Well this started because i got linked to a petition to stop the culling of brumbies, and looking into it more i read the wholesale export price was like $1000 vs $4500 per beef ton

17. oculi

oculi Member

on OCAU, why I am not surprised.

I'm still genuinely interested to know if this pricing (relatively) is the case for the domestic retail market. Guessing they export carcasses?

assuming carcasses at $4.50 a kg it makes the markup on beef mince seem pretty reasonable, in some cases even less than reasonable

18. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

i imagine this would be a a viable means of cooking it.
    http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=918710

19. HighLife

HighLife Member

Crack open a can of dog food - it's more than likely horse meat and already cooked for you ;)

20. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Yep same. Wife and I didn't really think it was anything special. One of our friends we were with thought it was the most vile tasting thing ever. We ate their serve.

Honestly if it was half the price of beef I'd eat it over beef.