How often to change coolant?

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by Bolter01, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Bolter01

Bolter01 Member

Hi,
    I am using Swiftech HydrX Coolant & distilled water with great success.

Was wondering what the expected life of it is? My system is all copper.

I have some Feser One Fluid - UV Red to put in and realize it will need a thorough flush before adding a new coolant.

Thanks

2. Arbite

Arbite Member

You can go up to a year without changing coolant, but i would recomend changing every 6-8 months.

3. Frag_Lord

Frag_Lord Member

I have been running Nulon + distilled for about 10 months now, it looks kinda nasty now :p

I would recommend every 6 months to changing coolant and tubing.

4. Bolter01

Bolter01 Member

and tubing...argh! yes I suspected I may have to sometime. That will be "Fun"

5. lowdog

lowdog Member

I just re-did my loop in November, it had been running on nothing more than straight distilled water for over 14 months straight and the water that came out was fine, there was nothing in it. All my blocks were clean as well with NO build up of any crap that all those coolant things tend to cause. new loop is straight distilled as well, I'll leave it for well over a year this time unless I have to change out components.

Straight distilled for the win.

6. K3nii

K3nii (Banned or Deleted)

about every school holidays i have the urge to change my pc so thats how often i do it

7. javascripterror

javascripterror Member

The same water has been in the Potted Eheim project since December 26, 2005. Must be some kind of record by now I suppose.

8. Kaine[zof]

Kaine[zof] Member

Changing coolant every six months is a bit on the anal side.

Changing tubing that often is just downright wasteful. Only reason to change tubing ever is if it is decaying (ie going hard and splitting or leaking). I reuse tubing from install to install. Some of it is pretty stained by Nulon at this point but it really isn't an issue.

I've changed coolant at roughly 9-12 month intervals simply because that's when I've reconfigured my loop. Good, stable coolant without any residue buildup or corrosion should be fine for at least 12 months.

HydrX is shite. Feser is overpriced and nothing special. Nulon + de-mineralised water has worked fantastically for me.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  9. Bolter01

Bolter01 Member

Thanks for the feedback all and have a great holiday season.
    I was of the understanding that coolant prevents algae and reduces the likely hood of a galvanic cell so that's why I used it.

You fellows using Nulon is there a particular one to use?

And yer its been roughly 6 mths so I'll give it a couple more and the tubing can wait, its still soft.
    Thanks

10. okydoke

okydoke Member

I went about 1 3/4 years before redoing my loop (previously had hydrx in it) the other week. No buildups or gunk or discolouration, tubes were in ok condition (although i replaced them anyway). Ran some white vinegar/distilled water through it a few times with next to no foreign materials coming out (followed with extensive flushing out of the components). Next time I will probably go for a year so/ 9 months to keep the tubes in better nick, but yeah, all good

11. DeejW

DeejW Member

If you do it right the first time and get Tygon throughout you will never have to replace the tubes again.

12. Bolter01

Bolter01 Member

Great feedback "oky" and DeejW I am looking at getting tygon tubing as the replacement though I have had no trouble with what Ive got.

Cheers

13. onoff312

onoff312 (Banned or Deleted)

I dont get how tygon tubing is any better then dtek or feser tubes.

14. Trog Star

Trog Star Member

do you work for them or some shit?

15. Damianb

Damianb Member

Plastics are made up with all different mixes. some have more of a certain ingredient than others. some companies know how to make plastic better than others. that can all affect how the tubing works, there is also wall thickness, Tygon uses 1/8th wall thickness instead of 1/16th.

16. onoff312

Dtek tubes are 1/8 thick as far as i know since i measured mine, the feser tubes i just got are 1/16 so are you saying my dteks are uber high quality because there thicker because i just dont see how that could be true.

17. Damianb

Damianb Member

No i am not saying that your dtek are high quality because they're thicker. how about reading my post again. that is one of many factors in tubing.

18. booksacool1

booksacool1 Member

I didn't change the coolant for the life of my old pc (couple of years I think). Likewise the basic bunnings tubing also lasted that period with no dramas. But I used a car coolant.

19. onoff312

The thing is plastic like that used in any tubing is going to take far longer then 6 months to a year to start showing any signs of wear.