hp envy ts 15 notebook pc problems

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by yuri64, Oct 11, 2017.

1. yuri64

yuri64 Member

Not sure if I should put this in chipset but anyways I'm trying to fix my gf hp envy ts 15 notebook pc because for some reason it runs slow as. She has had it for a year and a bit. It ran slow back then and has only gotten slower.

I really think it's the cpu i7-4700mq (link) because I've been watching it in coretemp and it acts way different to my towers cpu. The first time I look at it a few weeks ago it seemed like only 1 core was doing all work since core one load % was always going up and down while I preformed a few tasks while core 2 3 and 4 really only stayed at 1%. Now my gf reformatted the laptop and now all cores take a load % but it's all really low % like 1-14%. The only time I can get my cpu doing anything is when I do a stress test and they all jump up to 100% load lol. I'm not sure what to do or if I'm expecting to much from it and all I want is for it to run smooth. I'm not doing any serious gaming but just a few old school emulators and I have no idea how to get into the bios either.

CPU info sheet
    Laptop infomation

2. FOTW

FOTW Member

To get into HPs BIOS and Diagnostic menu tap ESC key on keyboard as its powering on and then selection what you want to load. Run the extensive diagnostic test (I think tapping the F2 on power up will also get you into it straight away.)

Try running passmark burn in test standard edition its free as a 14 day trial enough for you to run the tests.

Also check health of hard drive with HDTune run a sector scan.

If it hasn't been upgraded to windows 10 and still on 8 might be a good idea to upgrade.

3. yuri64

yuri64 Member

Thanks you so much for your input, I just ran a system check and this came up.

4. yuri64

yuri64 Member

I've found a post on another site with the same problem but trying for a different out come. I just want to know if the disk is fixable or do I have to get it changed out. I'm getting seatools to test the disk and I'll post the results.

5. FOTW

FOTW Member

Your hard rive is faulty possible dead sectors. The Envys in general are easy enough to repair just take of the bottom case and replace hard drive with a SSD of your choice, then re-install windows 10 or 8 product key is part of main board so no need for a product key.

If your not confident enough doing it yourself any pc repair shop should have no issue fixing it.

6. FOTW

FOTW Member

If the Envy is using a standard HDD might as well upgrade to a SSD and you will be amazed how fast the laptop is as the RAM and CPU wont be bottlenecked as much anymore.

Well worth upgrading it even if the HDD wasnt faulty.

7. yuri64

yuri64 Member

Do you know how to recover a windows 8 cd key from the laptop? It's not currently activated.

8. Hater

Hater Member

you don't need to, when you install windows again it will read the key from the system automagically. I had the same stuttering, slow annoyance with dying HDD in a MacBook Pro I have.

9. FOTW

FOTW Member

Not sure it generally goes by the one that is part of the main boards UEFI firmware. It should automatically activate once it connects to the internet.

You can use third party programs to see it here is a guide

10. yuri64

yuri64 Member

I know all about the bios key shit but it kept asking me for a key and when I used a key finder to find it... It all of a sudden didn't need it and already had it. It's like one min this hd is working and the next it's not so I'm just getting a new one.

11. yuri64

yuri64 Member

update.

Got a new hd, not ssd because it's not mine and the gf didn't want to spend a whole lot of money. Windows 8 installed and running so much faster than before. I can even play dayZ.

12. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Hard drives cost more though, because they constantly shit the bed. A good SSD easily outlasts the computer