HP Proliant Generation 8 Microserver Club

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by ktmrida, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Tronador

Tronador Member

I just have spent a few days re-installing my Gen 8.

Got rid of xpenology, I felt like the updates were getting slower and I wasn't happy with using essentially hacked OS.

Now have an SSD running Open Media Vault using SnapRAID and UnionFS.
    Oh my god was the setup terrible. Had so many issues with the plex plugin, then tried it with docker and had even more issues.
    Seems to be running awesome now though.

2. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

which xpenology did you remove, DSM 5 or 6 ?

3. Tronador

Tronador Member

DSM 6

If there was a legitimate way to pay for their software and have it work without bootloaders and the like every time I upgrade I would pay for it.... stuff always broke with updates.

4. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

yer. ive stayed on 5 for now.
    you can buy the legit software. it comes attached to a nas :)

i keep looking at omv and freenas saying, one day, one day.

5. Tronador

Tronador Member

My trigger was getting another 8TB drive. The syno hybrid raid was getting big to the point where migrating onto another 'raid' setup would have been difficult.

So once I got another drive, backed up and bam.

6. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

Anyone had trouble with disks dropping from the B120i? I've got 2 mirrored arrays using 4x seagate 3TB NAS disks. Every now and then I'll see the orange flashing light. Pop out the disk to check on another PC and SMART sees that it's fine. I've even replaced with a new disk. Running Windows Home Server 2011 installed on a SSD on the 5th port which never drops. Sometimes it'll be happy for weeks, or only days. Not sure if it's the disks, controller or dicky power? I've popped it on a new UPS so the supply should be clean.

I've not been able to work it out so am building FreeNAS on my spare Gen8. It's a little learning curve but looks to support Plex, Sickbeard, SABnzbd, etc which is great. Only other thing that I run in Windows is Cumulus weather station software. Not sure if I can get that working in a Jail or not but can always put it on a RaspberryPi if I can't. Hopefully that'll be stable.

7. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

*touch wood* my G8 has been rock solid.
    at times i've considered buying another 'just in case' one :D

perhaps you have a dodgy cable/connection somewhere. can you swap the drive slots around ?
    edit - snap, check the SAS/SFF connector/cable on the mobo. i got it in on an angle after the CPU upgrade, and the bloody thing keep wigging out about one drive.
    i'd pushed it in and it 'clicked' but the connector was on enough of an angle (sideways, not front to back) to cause a headache
    i was in a rush to get it all back and running :eek:

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  8. timey_timeless

timey_timeless Member

looking to make the switch from ubuntu server to proxmox in my G1610T for a bit more modularity and isolation of services, in addition to installing a fancy xeon cpu once it arrives

i am not particularly familiar with these new fangled standards of drives.. nvme, m.2, such confusion

i've currently got a 4x6TB ZFS mirror, so all 4 drive bays are in use. i am looking to add an SSD to the mix for VM storage. one option is to buy a custom 2.5" drive mount, which seem to exist around the place, and install a regular SATA SSD.

i've also seen products like the Intel 750 series which are PCI-E SSDs, which could simply plug into my vacant PCI-E slot. ALternatively there is the Samsung 960, which is M.2.
    Obviously there's no M.2 port on the server, but I understand you can buy PCI-E adaptors for M.2 drives.
    I also understand the the PCI-E slot is only PCI-E 2, not 3. This limits the overall bandwidth available to the drive, but i am not sure if this is of any real world significance. I also believe PCI-E 2 would still be faster than SATA III.

So, if I wanted a very fast VM drive, would getting either the Intel 750, or Samsung 960 (with a PCI-E M.2 adaptor) make sense? Or should I be looking at something else?

9. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

I don't know if the G8 will boot from a NVME drive
    You can use a SSD connected to the optical drive port (port 5 at SATA II speeds) and mount it up top. No real need for a mounting bracket up there, just use a cable zip-tie.

the b120i controller runs (i think) the first two slots at SATA III and the last two are SATA II

10. samarium

samarium Member

Do you really need to use a SSD etc just for VM storage? Or would you be better using the SSD partitioned as a boot drive, and also use some for ZFS log and ZFS cache?

Been a while since I played with proxmox, so not sure what it can handle.

I'm running ubuntu server, and pushing as many functions as possible to KVM VMs, with the plan to migrate some functions to LXD or docker.

I have 2x 250G SSD, partitioned as boot (mdadm) 1G, root (zfs) 32G, zfs log 4G, zfs cache 32G, with the rest of the drive used. I have the VMs on RAIDZ2 6x3TB, with a separate dataset for each VM and automatic snapshotting. zfs log doesn't get hit much, nor does zfs cache really. Only a single user, me, so is good enough.

This way hopefully the zfs log & cache benefit the entire RAIDZ2. Alternatively you can tweak with the secondary cache attribute of some datasets to modulate what is stored in the cache, but zpool iostat -v tells me I'm OK.

I replaced one of the SSDs last month after 4 years of use, was starting to throw checksum errors.

I really like having zfs datasets for each VM, especially windows VMs, so if I have an issue like windows update blocking, etc it is often easier to just rollback the snapshot to the morning and restart. IIRC proxmox now support ZFS? I have been meaning to look at that, eventually.

11. ktmrida

ktmrida Member

12. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

13. Sarquiss

Sarquiss Member

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  14. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

Homeservershow now have a sub-forum with reviews and info on a beta unit.

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/forum/201-microserver-gen-10/

15. Sarquiss

Sarquiss Member

Guys got a bit of a weird issue. I was previously running Ubuntu Server 17.04 on a MicroSD card but wanted to move the install onto a SSD to have some more space. I went through the install and chose to install the Grub Installer onto a USB which was plugged into the internal usb slot but it didn't take.

Rebooting the server it just says attempting to boot from USB - No Operating system found.

Have tried a couple of USB drives and the MicroSD I was running before but no luck. Do the devices need to be formatted as anything in particular?

EDIT: Got it sorted :)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  16. Tronador

Tronador Member

I've found installing from a USB to be hit and miss....

Last time I installed using an image in ILO, worked first time.

17. ktmrida

ktmrida Member

18. Sarquiss

Sarquiss Member

Hoping someone can help. Recently purchased a HP P410i Raid Controller for use with my Microserver G8. I am tried to get the card and the HDDs passed through to a FreeNAS VM.

No matter what I do I can never see the drives. I have tried creating separate Raid 0 configs for each of the disks and also tried without having any volumes but still no luck.

Has anyone been able to successful pass disks attached to the controller through to a VM?

19. Raykay

Raykay Member

i3 3320 and 8gb ram incoming. Should be an awesome upgrade from the G1610T and 2gb.