I like ribs... You should too.

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by CHiMPY, Sep 10, 2010.

1. CHiMPY

CHiMPY Member

A good friend and I seem to have made it our lives work to only be good at 1 thing.
    Eating, specifically eating pork ribs.

We have eaten ribs in London, Edinburgh, Glasgow, New Jersey, New York, Orlando and countless places in Sydney and other parts of Australia.

Recently we made the potentially disastrous decision to attempt to cook our own ribs.
    Both of us have eaten ribs cooked at home before but never have they been anywhere near as good as the ones you get from a decent restaurant. More often than not there is little to no meat and what meat is on the bone is tough and chewy.

Our mission was to change this.
    With a little bit of help from Google and (it pains me to say this) Masterchef we felt we had a handle on the best way to get a good result.

After buying some nice looking ribs from the local butcher I set about making a dry rub. Thanks to Google I found the below recipe which sounded decent.

Memphis Style Rib Rub
    4 teaspoons paprika
    2 teaspoons salt
    2 teaspoons onion powder
    2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
    1 teaspoons cayenne
    Mix ingredients together. Store in an airtight container. Spread evenly on prepared ribs that have been patted dry and let sit until the rub appears moist.

To this I added about 3 heaped teaspoons of brown sugar.

This made enough for a generous amount on 2 full racks of baby back pork ribs. I doubled it to get enough for the 3 racks we had to cook.

The end result

[​IMG]
    This was after sitting overnight in the container.

Our chosen method for cooked was a trusty old Webber Kettle. So while the coals were heating up
    [​IMG]

We set about getting the ribs ready for the grill.
    Cover with generous amounts of your favourite BBQ sauce (or in our case sauces)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And take them out to the now ready grill.

[​IMG]

Place the ribs on the cool side of the grill
    [​IMG]

Cover and let cook at a low temperature for several hours.
    [​IMG]

Keep the dog away from the BBQ!
    [​IMG]

Check back on them periodically and baste with sauce as desired.
    [​IMG]

Served with an ice cold beer and your choice of sides (chips in our case)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Enjoy your lunch.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The end result was in both our opinions, restaurant quality ribs. They were easily ripped apart with your hands and the meat was exceptionally tender.
    Well worth the effort and something I will be trying again in the not too distant future.

2. Big Trev

Big Trev Member

Awesome. Love some ribs... got an American mate who put me onto them a few years ago.

For those in Melbourne, the ones at Costco are the best I've found anywhere (any that I've found at butchers have been frozen/thawed, and they're all bone and gristle, and more expensive than Costco).

We do ours buy basically slowly stewing them in a weber in a foil-covered tray with a couple of bottles of BBQ sauce and about half a beer for about 90-120 mins, and then finishing them off on the grill.

3. matthew-r88

matthew-r88 Member

they look awesome, theres not really anything else i can say :tongue:
    JD sauce better than normal bbq? whats the flavour diff never tried it

4. ed3r

ed3r Member

I've only had ribs a few times, if you're a bit tentative about trying them at home, as in not so keen on the 1-2 hour+ recipes, this one could be worth trying.
    http://www.pigonaspit.com/spareribs/spicyspareribs.php
    It's a 50 mins in the oven recipe, which produced sweet tender delicious ribs, I barely came up for air.

5. CHiMPY

CHiMPY Member

They were awesome :)

The JD sauce (depending on which one you get, original, spicy or the honey bbq one we used) is fairly different to a normal BBQ sauce.
    I find it to be sweeter (the 2 full racks were coated in the JD sauce and came out a darker colour than the 2 half racks I am blaming that on the extra sugar in the sauce).
    It is less smoky than most BBQ sauces and I if you taste it on its own I think you can def taste the JD in it.

I do recommend it on ribs though as you can add extra flavours using the rub (more spice/less sugar).

Hope that made sense.

6. Cypher

Cypher Member

I'm planning to cook the ribs recipe on www.amazingribs.com, just gotta gather the ingredients for the bbq sauce. I've already done the pulled pork from that website and it was the best thing i've ever eaten, would definatly cook it more often if it werent for the 12+ hour cooking time.

7. SenorGrande

SenorGrande Member

Nice looking food, good choice of beer. I knocked back a carton of that stuff some time ago, was rather good.

8. Dogo

Dogo Member

Try the 3-2-1 method or the 2-1-1 method if your ribs aren't very meaty.
    Its very hard to find a good meaty rack in AU. A good thing you can do is buy the belly or a side or pork that has the ribs included. Else you can find a butcher that you can explain that ribs need some fricken MEAT ON THEM

The ribs recipe on Masterchef 2010 was quite tasty.

Dont forget to remove the membrane from the underside before you marinade. Its a pain but worth it.
    And maybe try a rib rack if you start cooking them often.

I can't believe you claim to be a ribs fan but haven't had them in Texas :p

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  9. CHiMPY

CHiMPY Member

The masterchef recipe is what has inspired me to start cooking them myself.

As for the 3/2-2-1 methods, I was reading about those. It is something I am considering next time just to see the difference.

The fact that I have never actually made it to Texas helps in the whole never eaten ribs in Texas bit.
    I'll get there eventually.

edit:
    I should mention that I did actually remove the membrane from the ribs. I found it quite easy. I found that by prying it away from 1 rib using a blunt knife I was able to remove enough of it to get my finger inside and then just ran my finger under it and pulled it up at the same time with some paper towel. Less than a few minutes work but it did make a big difference.

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Ribs are one of absolute favourite foods. How good they are is very dependant on what quality you get.....they vary greatly.

11. renagade

renagade Member

Oh they look excellent. Nice job.
    These would be even better in a Big Green Egg or Kamado

12. bobfranklin

bobfranklin Member

I'll hopefully know after the weekend. Tracking down a good rack though - not easy.

13. sport billy

sport billy Member

I'm drooling too much to make a real comment, but Big Trev is 100% correct, the Costco ribs are amazing! So much meat on the ribs it's crazy. I've been planning to go the whole hog with a mate of mine and get 2 packs from Costco and have a super unhealthy weekend.

Actually I think I still have some Costco ribs in the freezer, score! There's dinner tonight.

14. Quagaar

Quagaar Member

Wow, look great, will have to try Weber again. Last time I tried I think the temperature was too high. Will be nice and smoky in there from my latest round of smoking jalapenos (which are awesome by the way - still using their dried up smokey hotness on everything...).

Best ribs I have had was at Sticky Fingers in Charleston South Carolina http://www.stickyfingers.com/default.aspx

I have made rib sa few times in the oven on slow, actually the best ribs I have made were cooked in the pressure cooker. 15 Mins of pressure cooking, then cover with bbq sauce etc and under the grill or bbq for crisping up. Probably not as good as slow cooking, but very fast (~20-25 mins total) and easy to do.

Rob.

15. Dr Jon

Dr Jon Member

Love the ribs :)

One of my personal favourites, and generally very easy to do with a bit of prior preparation.

1. Get a good local butcher - ask them to put aside 4-5kg of baby-back ribs for you, and to trim them with plenty of meat left on them. A good butcher is worth his weight in gold; they can do a lot of the prep for you, and by getting a bit of meat inbulk it makes it worth their while to do it for you, which means they're more likely to actually do it the way you want it:D

2. Prep the ribs by removing the membrane on the back (means the meat will fall off the bone when done). I use a sharp knife to cut under it, then hold it with a piece of paper towel against a butter knife - this gives you something for a bit of leverage to strip it off.

3. Make up a dry rub; heaps of recipes around - google or use whatever you have. Freeze the ribs in meal-size portions (5kg does about 3 meals for my family / me) - that way the rub has time to soak in, and then all you have to do is pull out a pack and get on with cooking! I have a vacuum-packer which makes this process very easy, and also use it for wet marinades too. Otherwise, try to get as much air out of the bag as possible - an easy trick is to have a pot of water - holding the top of the bag, push the bag of ribs into the water so it squeezes all the air out; twist and tie off and then bag again and Bob's your mother's brother.

3. ITo cook - f you have a pressure cooker then give them a blast in that (this is how we used to do ours in a restuarant I worked in when I was younger, and is the typical commercial way of cooking because it takes so much less time). I dont have one, so initial slow cooking is the way to go - this makes the meat tender and juicy. So up to 2hrs in an oven on 160 or so - I have a smoker, but used to use a Weber as well. Wrapping them in foil helps keep the moisture and flavour in as well if you're using an electric oven.

4. You MUST finish them off on a BBQ or similar - this is the key to get the finished product; 10-15mins max on a hot grill.

5. Baste whilst cooking with a wet sauce a few times - again lots of recipes on the interwebs, or if you must, use a bottle sauce - the 'Three 3's' sauce is pretty good for a quick alternative.

6. Use the same sauce to dip into whilst devouring.... Guarantee you'll think twice about payiing exorbitant prices for crap BBQ rib imitations again. Also best served with a few cold beers, and a bucket of water to clean up the mess afterwards.

Remind other people at the table to watch their fingers or other extraneous body parts in case they get accidently eaten too:p

16. icewind

icewind Member

and remember.... bbq ribs are only bbq ribs if you need an apron to eat them with

17. CHiMPY

CHiMPY Member

I am curious, those of you cooking ribs in a pressure cooker.

Does that mean you are essentially boiling them?
    Boiling ribs is a sin!

18. OldnBold

OldnBold Member

To be totally correct a pressure cooker is a super steamer ;)

19. CHiMPY

CHiMPY Member

There is one thing about being a dragons supporter that I have learnt in my 27 years on this earth.. Don't get too excited about grand final night because you will only be let down.
    Thankfully not this time!!

What else goes better than watching your team win their first premiership in 31 years than ribs and beer?

I decided the morning on the game that it was going to be a rib night, if they won they would be celebration ribs, if they lost.. Well at least I would be full.

Paid a visit to the butcher and cleaned them out of the baby back ribs.

Took them home and started with the prep.

First up was to get the BBQ sauce started.
    I wanted to try something new, so I opted to make my own.

Following the recipe found here I cooked up the sauce and then set it aside.

Next up was the dry rub, again thanks to amazingribs.com I followed the recipe for Meatheads Memphis Dry Rub.
    Once this was finished I coated the ribs and put them in the fridge for the night.

The next morning they looked like this...

[​IMG]

Since I don't have a webber at home, these ribs were going to be done on the gas BBQ. This meant that I needed to add my own smoke, rather than go looking for liquid smoke I opted to try it for real and picked up some hickory smoking chips.
    Wrap them well in aluminium foil and stab some holes in the top and you have a cheap smoker box.

[​IMG]
    You can just see the foil packages under the grill on the left side of the BBQ.

Once the BBQ was up to temp (about 110c) the ribs went on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The dog thinks he is getting fed, I had news for him.

After about 2 hours under the hood I had a look to see how they were going.
    [​IMG]
    Looking good to me.

A total of 4 hrs cooking time and the ribs were just about perfect so they were removed from the grill and the heat was turned right up so the BBQ sauce could be added.
    [​IMG]

The finished product.
    [​IMG]

No shots of the cut ribs this time, but to me they turned out almost perfect.

The sauce was great and I highly recommend anyone who has a chance to make it (it goes great with just about everything).

The meat was tender without being mushy and there was just a hint of the woody taste from the smoke coming through.

20. Dogo

Dogo Member

niiice.

there's a good thick layer of meat on those ribs.